Skip to content

How to play a bard?

Hello everyone, on my first playthrough of baldur's gate I got as far as to face Saverok in the ducal palace, things went bad, basically my whole playthrough was bad, almost constantly loading files and getting lost, I decided to give up and start again, I could use another class, but I feel like I won't rest easy until I finish what I started, so could anyone tell me how should I play with my bard?

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited July 2014

Finally, the Bard's song should not be underestimated. All Bards except Blades have a very useful battlesong that can really help your party (or upset your enemies if you're playing a Jester).

Eh, I don't know if I'd call the vanilla bard's song "very useful". All it does is protect against/remove fear and panic. So it's handy if you think a mage is going to cast horror or if Khalid wigs out, but it's pretty situational.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Get Blade and play him/her like a single-class Fighter/Mage basically. They level up faster but don't get the high level spells of Mages.

Basically, buff and charge or throw magic like a Mage. But remember, that the Bard is a support class.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    TJ_Hooker said:

Finally, the Bard's song should not be underestimated. All Bards except Blades have a very useful battlesong that can really help your party (or upset your enemies if you're playing a Jester).

Eh, I don't know if I'd call the vanilla bard's song "very useful". All it does is protect against/remove fear and panic. So it's handy if you think a mage is going to cast horror or if Khalid wigs out, but it's pretty situational.
    Yeah, good point. I just checked the vanilla Bard's song.
    1st level: +1 hit and saving throws, raises morale.
    9th level: +2 hit and saving throws, removes fear.
    18th level: +3 hit and saving throws, protection from fear.

That's all, yes? I've been playing too much Rogue Rebalancing I think.
    Still the vanilla Bard song can be considered a decent supplementary skill (though admittedly not a 'very useful' one as I stated before). The bonus to saves can make a difference in mage fights. And simultaneous protection against fear effects is ok. Horror is not uncommon in BG1. A nice thing about it is that the protection is non-magical: it cannot be removed (which can be handy in BG2 against dragons for instance). The thac0 bonuses are less impressive.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    If you're going to play Bards I'd highly recommend the Rogue Rebalancing mod. It has some really great stuff in it. Must have mod for me. :) Brings Bards up to what they should have been to begin with! :)
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited July 2014
    With bards use items like McGyver. Consumables can be the difference between winning or losing in certain battles. (Wands like w. of fire, w. of monster summoning, buffing and exploding potions, scrolls ...)
    Post edited by lolien on
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Hahaha! @lolien‌ MacGyver huh? As in, I should use my Jester, some masking tape, a toaster and a tea spoon and build a fully functioning and staffed cruise liner and use the left over the make a small helicopter?
  • toshirotoshiro Member Posts: 113
    If you play either Jester or Skald play it as a support character, though skald is much better jester loses 1t's umpth after underdark, skald's songs get more powerful at certain levels. Blade is better than F/M in that F/M doesn't get armor until elf city at the end of the game.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    If you're unused to the game Bards can be quite difficult to play. They require a lot of micromanaging and unless you go blade will be primarily a support class. Even playing a Blade, you'll will be pretty underpowered for the first half of the game.

They're a lot of fun to play and very rewarding, but if you're fairly new to the game they might not be your best choice.
  • HaikomenBladeMasterHaikomenBladeMaster Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the help everyone, love this community, I have just started another game and I have clear what the role of my bard will be, so far so good.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited July 2014

TJ_Hooker said:

Yeah, good point. I just checked the vanilla Bard's song.
    1st level: +1 hit and saving throws, raises morale.
    9th level: +2 hit and saving throws, removes fear.
    18th level: +3 hit and saving throws, protection from fear.
    Actually, as far as I know, it only protects/removes fear.
    Here's the description in game:
    -Restores morale to its average value
    -Remove fear
    -Protection from fear

And here's a blurb from the BG2 fixpack:
    Optional But Cool: Bard Song Fixes
    The manual describes bard's Battlesong as granting "morale and luck improvement for the party." And then goes on to describe a luck bonus for the party as though it were a luck penalty for opponents. And then in-game battlesong grants only immunity to fear (without preventing the additional effects that can accompany fear) with no morale or luck effects at all. Our best educated guess at developer intent adds a +1 luck bonus to battlesong, which improves to +2 at 15th level and improves again to +3 at 20th level. Blade's version of battlesong in this component still does not improve with levels (as the class disadvantage states) and Skald and Jester songs (which already vaguely match their descriptions and work) are untouched.

Based on the EE description, it looks like they didn't implement the luck bonus as per the fixpack component. I could be wrong though.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @TJ_Hooker, I just checked. No Thac0 or Saves bonuses... This is very underwhelming, and not even deserving of a special button on the action bar if you ask me. It also makes the Blade stand out even more compared to the other Bards; the 'Bard song doesn't get better with levels' is hardly a disadvantage is it?
    All the more reason for playing with either the Rogue Rebalancing mod or at least the Bard Song Fixes you mentioned.
    Thanks for pointing this out. I wouldn't want to misinform my fellow forumites...
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited July 2014
    I'm just going to copy my answer from the similarly named "Playing as a bard." thread.

"For BG1 I usually use them as a melee character mainly, dealing out death while letting my warriors take the hits. If you don't have a good STR/DEX/CON, however, you can have them use ranged weapons instead. I always keep them on support spells that only need casting pre-battle or nowhere near battle. This way I can keep them armored and ready for battle. (if you want to keep your casting ability, then use the armor spells) I generally rush for elven chain mail as soon as I can, since I want to be able to battle cast. By the end of BG1 I have them pre-buffing and front-lining, and they make a good secondary front-liner. If you want them to use long weapons (staff/spear/2Hsword/etc.), then they can stay out of battle even more effectively. I generally use normal distance weapons, though.

As for BG2, I'd say same basic deal until you get elven chain mail. Once you have your chain mail again, you can use them as a weaker F/M/T. Since you hopefully have a good STR (Preferably 19, assuming you got a tome in BG1. Or at least a STR boosting item), you can definitely use them as a melee character. With elven chain mail and pre-buffs, they're quite effective melee battle casters. They'll never drop the spell nukes that a true mage will, but they're great support/pre-buff/disabling casters with good melee potential. As for a Skald specifically, you definitely might want to use your song, especially if you're a fighter heavy party. Your song is one of the best, and you can make everybody deal some real damage. (Especially in BG1)

Hope that helps! I'm a big fan of the bard(s), so I'm always happy to see someone else play one!"
  • CrowCrow Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2014
    Yeah buddy, I recommend playing a Blade, I remember having Eldoth in my party and I just killed him and his GF since he sucked so much ass :/ You can use EE Keeper to change your kit and tweak some abilities, almost like a class change! *Well, it is a Class Change* ;)

PS. Shadowdancers, anyone? D:
    Thanks for the tips guys, here is a question that I'm sure has been asked many many times...where the heck is the elven chainmail? I keep hearing about this holy item of ultimate bard-assery (get it?) but I can't find It anywhere on Baldur's Gate EE
    @HaikomenBladeMaster‌ You obtain it at the end of Dorn's BG1 quest line. If your bard's not evil and you need to justify taking Dorn with you, let me put it this way; You're only helping Dorn to kill a group of KNOWN outlaws and evildoers. Even if you plan to gut Dorn once you're done, you'd still be using him to destroy evil in the world. Oh, and you get two great pieces of loot during his quest. =p (+2 to save vs spell amulet and the elven chain mail)
    @Elrandir Thanks, and btw my charname is chaotic neutral so "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the crossbow"
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Alternatively you can get a shield amulet in the Nashkel Carnival that you can use when you need armor. It will give you better AC than the elven chainmail and will still let you cast spells.
    Elminster! Don't tell me you've forgotten that elven chainmail allows casting! =p

For a bard the elven chainmail has almost no negatives. It decreases pickpocketing, but the few times you need to do that, you can easily remove it, pickpocket, and then put it back on.
    edited July 2014
    Consider also checking out the Garrick and Eldoth sections for my NPC guide to BGEE. There are specific suggestions for each NPC that you can ignore, but it does include some spell selections for you to consider.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183524786#

Wands play a big role I would say in making bards effective. They really give them a lot more in the way of options.

Keep in mind that it is written with Eldoth in mind. Some spells (like Sleep) you will find more use for than I describe since you can start the game as a bard and get use out of the spell immediately (Eldoth on the other hand you don't normally get until chapter 4 so there are some spells that are less useful at that point).
    edited July 2014
    Elrandir said:

Elminster! Don't tell me you've forgotten that elven chainmail allows casting! =p

I wasn't trying to imply by that sentence that it didn't. It was just poor phrasing on my part.
    elminster said:

Elrandir said:

I wasn't trying to imply by that sentence that it didn't. It was just poor phrasing on my part.
    I figured. But how many chances do you get to mess around with the greatest wizard in Faerun? ;)