Skip to content

Where to find some certain, wizard spell scrolls?

Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
Hmmm, as far as i can remember, there were only five wizard spells, that at least in 1 original, were unobtainable (you could find nowhere their scrolls). I was wondering, if anyone found them in the EE, if they are at least obtainable there... Never hurts to ask, so i thought i might do just that!

1) The three level, ToSC spell, "Wraith Form".
2) The four level, ToSC spell, "Polymorph OTHER" (not self one).
3) The five level spells, Animate Dead, Cone of Cold, Shadow Door.

Has anyone found them in game, WITHOUT console, editor, or cheats? And be kind enough to share the secret of their location? Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Demonoid_Limewire on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    Wraithform is found on Sakul (in the caverns underneath candlekeep in chapter 6).

Otherwise everything else is a random drop (and actually its looking like out of the remaining ones the only one that is accessible from a random drop might be Polymorph Other).
    Post edited by elminster on
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Yea I can't recall ever having a Cone of Cold but I've got Polymorph other on Dynaheir so I assume I found it somewhere. But that could also be the result of having SCS installed as well. In the vanilla game I'm not rightly sure. EE did add a few missing scrolls though if I recall.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Shadow Door can definitely be obtained in the game somewhere, this is one of the spell with Cloudkill I'm sure I'll have when I play through the game.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    1) I concur--Sakul has a scroll of Wraithform.
    2) Polymorph Other is available from Thalantyr in High Hedge.
    3) There appears to be a scroll of Cloudkill under Candlekeep...hrm, how bizarre--there is one available in the area just south of Nashkell, just sitting there in a container waiting to be picked up. That must be new--I don't recall that being there before. There is another one in the Firewine ruins, presuming you pry it from Lendarn's cold, dead hands.
    There is a scroll of Monster Summoning III in Durlag's Tower on the warder level.
    There is a scroll of Shadow Door where you show up after getting out of jail in Candlekeep.
    There are *two* scrolls of Hold Monster available in Durlag's Tower.
    There is a scroll of Chaos in the Merchant House, the one where the sea charts are found, as well as available for sale in the Sorcerous Sundries.
    There is a scroll of Feeblemind in Durlag's Tower; Shandalar has one, as well, presuming you can take it from him.

Sadly, the rest are available only from Dinguer.

Polymorph Other is available from Thalantyr in High Hedge.

Looks like you are right about everything else but I looked through his STO file and I didn't see Polymorph Other listed.

Also what area beneath candlekeep did you find the cloudkill scroll? I wasn't able to find it when looking through the area/cre files.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424

1) I concur--Sakul has a scroll of Wraithform.
    2) Polymorph Other is available from Thalantyr in High Hedge.
    3) There appears to be a scroll of Cloudkill under Candlekeep...hrm, how bizarre--there is one available in the area just south of Nashkell, just sitting there in a container waiting to be picked up. That must be new--I don't recall that being there before. There is another one in the Firewine ruins, presuming you pry it from Lendarn's cold, dead hands.
    There is a scroll of Monster Summoning III in Durlag's Tower on the warder level.
    There is a scroll of Shadow Door where you show up after getting out of jail in Candlekeep.
    There are *two* scrolls of Hold Monster available in Durlag's Tower.
    There is a scroll of Chaos in the Merchant House, the one where the sea charts are found, as well as available for sale in the Sorcerous Sundries.
    There is a scroll of Feeblemind in Durlag's Tower; Shandalar has one, as well, presuming you can take it from him.

Sadly, the rest are available only from Dinguer.

1) Great. I am close to those three ambushing you. Will soon get that rare spell, then!
    2) Unless Thalantyr at some point upgrades his variety selection, i never seen that on him (and always have been a regular customer).
    3) In candlekeep revisit, i have never seen one, maybe i missed it. South of Nashkel, in secret stash, one has always been hidden since forever, from the originals, day 1. And Lendarn had one, too, you are right on this one.
    4) Shadow door in candlekeep? Will search carefully for that one. It is a very broken and potentially useful spell.

Now if only animate dead and cone of cold could be pinpointed, i would be dying from happiness... I have been irritated for years now, that i can never complete my baldur's gate 1 spell book, grrr!
    Yea apparently a Shadow Door scroll replaced the Dimension Door scroll that you used to be granted in Candlekeep.
    elminster said:

Polymorph Other is available from Thalantyr in High Hedge.

Looks like you are right about everything else but I looked through his STO file and I didn't see Polymorph Other listed.

Also what area beneath candlekeep did you find the cloudkill scroll? I wasn't able to find it when looking through the area/cre files.
    That might have been an addition to his store that I made on my own. In my opinion, Thalantyr should carry a decent selection of 4th-level spell scrolls, leaving the more advanced stuff to Sorcerous Sundries in the city.

I might have been mistaken. As I double-check now, I see ar0511 (under Durlag's Tower) and ar5300 (south of Nashkel). *shrug* It happens.
    Well, Sakul had the Wraithform scroll. Dinguer, in the black pits, had ALL scrolls, minus: 1) Detect Evil 2) Teleport Field. I have finally completed my spellbook! Export-import is priceless! Thanks for the tips!
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    I may be a little late with this but you can get Teleport Field at Sorcerous Sundries.

Wraith Form is missing from the current version of BG2EE (the spell itself, not just the scrolls), but should be fixed in next patch.

Usually when I'm going to import a mage into BG2 I erase all of the spells from my spell book except for the ones I use in the opening dungeon. That way I can write them in my book again for the higher XP amount and don't feel like I'm wasting them on Imoen.
    luskan said:

I may be a little late with this but you can get Teleport Field at Sorcerous Sundries.

Wraith Form is missing from the current version of BG2EE (the spell itself, not just the scrolls), but should be fixed in next patch.

Usually when I'm going to import a mage into BG2 I erase all of the spells from my spell book except for the ones I use in the opening dungeon. That way I can write them in my book again for the higher XP amount and don't feel like I'm wasting them on Imoen.

Eh, BG 1 contains all spells, anyway. If you do the little trick that allows you keeping arena items in main game, or if you already memorized them on a mage player or protagonist, then it's settled. Just grab Wraithform from Sakul, Detect Evil and Teleport Field from High Hedge and Sorcerous Sundries, and learn EVERYTHING else off from Dinguer, inside the Black Pits! It is a great thing being able to get all 5 levels spells, in 1! In the originals, there were NEVER scrolls containing those five (wraithform, polymorph other, animate dead, cone of cold, and shadow door).

By the way, shadow door is said to break your game or something? Don't remember if that is concerning 1 or 2, but it was discussed somewhere... What does it exactly break, and when?

edited July 2014

By the way, shadow door is said to break your game or something? Don't remember if that is concerning 1 or 2, but it was discussed somewhere... What does it exactly break, and when?

It was Dimension Door. The reason being you could use it to teleport past areas in the game that important events were supposed to trigger at. It would be more of a BG2 issue I think, though I've read online of some people wondering if they could use it to get across the bridge to Baldur's Gate in a much earlier chapter.

There was also an exploit involving using it to travel over a vast area of the next map. I think by click on the entrance to that next area while you have the spell selected for casting. Something around those lines anyways.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    elminster said:

It was Dimension Door. The reason being you could use it to teleport past areas in the game that important events were supposed to trigger at. It would be more of a BG2 issue I think, though I've read online of some people wondering if they could use it to get across the bridge to Baldur's Gate in a much earlier chapter.

There was also an exploit involving using it to travel over a vast area of the next map. I think by click on the entrance to that next area while you have the spell selected for casting. Something around those lines anyways.
    Hmmmmmmm..... I miss that spell so much.
    The exploit with Dimension Door is that it had a slight delay between the end of the cast and the effect of the spell, which means you could get to the area south of the Baldur's Bridge (the Ankheg Farm), reach the north of this area. Use Dimension Door in your location, and before the effect kicked in, travel to the Baldur's Gate bridge, and the spell would fire off and teleport you where you clicked, but on another area, in this case, behind the bridge.

If you knew where to click, you could literally skip all the game with enough Dimension Doors.
    Gee, i smell cheese! Time to try this one, then! Back for a short break to test things in the originals, again!
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    This trick is used in speedruns, just like the actual record of around 20 min to beat BG1. You can check it out on Speed Demos Archive:
    http://speeddemosarchive.com/BaldursGate.html
    He basically skips several chapters with this trick and has everything explained.
    That's exactly what I was thinking about, thanks @Tuth‌ !
    I always enable Dimension Door and make certain my mages can have it; I also make certain it isn't limited by line of sight as per its original pencil/paper description. If that allows you to break certain parts of the game....well, that's juts too bad, isn't it?

I don't use Dimension Door to get into Baldur's Gate early, though. I updated the script for the gate guards so that if they are charmed they will gladly open the gate for their very good friends, who are clearly trustworthy and not involved with that iron crisis or bandit activity in the region.