Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights 2 spell incantations

RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
Anyone got a list of what the characters say when casting spells in NWN2?
I love this kind of stuff, but so far I only know the lines from the IE games spells.

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    This deserves a bump, as an avid lover of dead/made up language I'm still pouring over the web looking for this sort of thing. Anyone had better luck since last year?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2014
    One of the most common ones from NWN1 sounds to me like "Omidaea Medulla Makat!"
    Another sounds like "Miau Takat Blass!"

I thought the NWN2 ones were the same as NWN1, but I just opened a save to check, and they're different.

I still can't find any definitive lists. I don't think either the NWN1 or NWN2 ones are based on real Latin like the BG2 ones. They're most likely completely made up, although some of the root words still seem Greek and Latin based. The way our culture is conditioned to think of magic in a story, I think it's hard for fantasy writers to not use pseudo Latin and pseudo Greek when they want to invoke a spooky or supernatural mood in speech or song.

EDIT: A couple of attempted googles just keeps bringing up this thread as the only relevant item. The trouble with trying to find information about it is that the search keeps bringing up hundreds of items regarding spells in general - spell effects, spell mechanics, spell lists, spell descriptions, spell strategies, and the like, so trying to find info on the chants specifically is like searching for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

I even found some postings about how to replace the NWN2 chants with the NWN1 chants, but nothing about the words in the chants themselves. If somebody could think of a creative enough way to word the search, I would think there should be other people out there who have figured some things out and have posted.

The only way to know for sure would be to ask the sound designers for the games, or the person who voice acted the soundsets, and game interviewers never ask obscure questions like that. I think sometimes even the sound design people don't remember what they did immediately after they did it - they could have made gobbledygook up on the spot and had it spoken into a microphone and had the whole thing done in ten minutes during production.

They never seem to anticipate that a few people will actually be intensely interested in those incantations. Whoever first figured out the Latin spells in BG2 was a linguistic genius. (And we have a few around here who've posed translations of their own.)
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    In NwN1/2 they don't say anything. It's just magical gibberish.