Skip to content

Are BG-EE/BG2-EE of HD version still in to do list for developer ?

The developers ever mentioned if they can find right way to remake the sprite/ scence into "High Definition" version, they would love to ,

I know android / adventure Y ,even expansion pack will be before this ,
But it looks like enternity project and lots of old school games will be ready within this year , it may let gamer pay money for them and not for BG series more,

Does anyone still think HD version will become reality someday ?

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Bluntly: what I would like to happen and what will actually happen are two different things. So, I would like a HD remake, but then again I know it won't ever happen.
  • Aozgolo108Aozgolo108 Member Posts: 79
    As I recall from an interview it was their original intention to make a HD version of BG, but when they received the asset files for the original game discovered that several assets, most essentially things like the 3D models for sprites were missing, there was actually A LOT missing so they eventually settled on doing an enhanced edition instead. Unless the deal they made which stipulates not changing any in-game assets (they can add new stuff but not change existing things) is re-negotiated, then the possibility of a HD version is dead in the water.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    There was a fire in the Bioware offices and a lot of assets were lost, including assets from the Baldur's Gate series.
  • bdeonovicbdeonovic Member Posts: 86
    Amberion said:

There was a fire in the Bioware offices and a lot of assets were lost, including assets from the Baldur's Gate series.

source? I never heard about a fire.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Hm. That's odd. I distinctly remember reading in the newspaper about the fire in the Bioware offices. IDK what to think now.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    darrenkuo said:

I really hope they still thinking about a way to make it happen it will be so cool to have BG in a HD, seem like they aren't incline to answer about it tho.
    I hope that maybe maybe there will be a miracle and someone will find the lost art cos it have to be somewhere in all the files data in the office, probably it needed to be dig out.
    Coriander said:

I have nothing to say on the matter of HD.

I just wonder the art is lost but there isn't anyway to work around it ? or is it the cost that prevent it from happening?
  • NokkenbuerNokkenbuer Member Posts: 146
    From what I remember, a significant portion (a majority?) of the original content (files, portraits, artwork, etc.) was lost and therefore is no longer usable. So unless the development team plans on effectively redrawing and replacing the entire graphics and visuals portions of the games, I seriously doubt that will be happening any time soon, if ever.

Moreover, there are significant limitations on what the developers can do with the games due to contractual restrictions and the terms of their agreement. Thus, even if they had the original content from the '90's, it's likely that they couldn't do anything with it unless a revision of their contract was made—and that's pretty much not going to happen, as far as I know.

Here is some more information on the topic, especially in regards to the limitations and restrictions of the development team: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1588/bg-ee-please-read-list-of-things-that-can-t-be-done/p1
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    No HD 4 u. :(
    jcompton said:

It really shouldn't be that difficult to believe and accept that the source materials simply cannot be found. As long as a decade ago, Bioware had zero expectation that anything Infinity-related would have any future value. I know this, because I had a conversation with their licensing manager about it way back then.

Yes yes I know it lost one can still hope for the unbelievable stranger thing has happen. It is good and well that you talk to their licensing manager about it but if you would have ask him like you said a decade ago if he think that something like EE would have happen he would have probably laugh at it, so I believe that everything possible and that HD can happen one day.

From what I remember, a significant portion (a majority?) of the original content (files, portraits, artwork, etc.) was lost and therefore is no longer usable. So unless the development team plans on effectively redrawing and replacing the entire graphics and visuals portions of the games, I seriously doubt that will be happening any time soon, if ever.

Moreover, there are significant limitations on what the developers can do with the games due to contractual restrictions and the terms of their agreement. Thus, even if they had the original content from the '90's, it's likely that they couldn't do anything with it unless a revision of their contract was made—and that's pretty much not going to happen, as far as I know.

Here is some more information on the topic, especially in regards to the limitations and restrictions of the development team: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1588/bg-ee-please-read-list-of-things-that-can-t-be-done/p1

I know all about those limitations I read them long ago it not new to me.

I don't get why all are determine to be pessimistic about it sometimes thing happen against all odd, even thing we thought was lost can be find, thing that we thought was long gone can reappear, everything can happen any day we can't know what will be we can only plan what will be next, the world is full of surprises, just look what was done here :)
    I'm not being pessimistic, @kaguana‌. Pessimistic would be saying it'll never happen because the developers don't care. No, I'm being realistic. Given the evidence and current circumstances, the likelihood of any HD version being released is slim to none. This may change in the future, but not anytime soon I'll wager.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    elminster said:

Personally I'm looking for the day when they release a BGEE/BG2EE holosuite program. Though I suppose someone has to develop a holodeck/suite first :)

Beam me up, Scotty!

elminster said:

Personally I'm looking for the day when they release a BGEE/BG2EE holosuite program. Though I suppose someone has to develop a holodeck/suite first :)

Beam me up, Scotty!
    I swear, for the longest time, I thought Captain Kirk was saying "Beat me up, Scotty!" For years, I was under the impression that the Captain was a masochistic glutton for pain and forced his crewmates to regularly pummel him into particle dust.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I believe they need the original 3D artwork models to render the game HD, and that is lost. So that's the way the cookie crumbles.

BG3 aka BG Next, if it ever comes to pass, would obviously be built from the ground up.
    edited July 2014

I'm not being pessimistic, @kaguana‌. Pessimistic would be saying it'll never happen because the developers don't care. No, I'm being realistic. Given the evidence and current circumstances, the likelihood of any HD version being released is slim to none. This may change in the future, but not anytime soon I'll wager.

I wasn't talking to you specific when I as why people are pessimistic, I was talking in general about it. I know that if I would have listen to people that tell me that I can't be or can't do something I wouldn't have got where I got in life so I don't believe in the word impossible, everything is possible if one have the courage and the will to do what one set to do, even if the chance looks like you said "slim to none".
    I didn't ask if it will happen in the near future I ask and I quote myself
    kaguana said:

I just wonder the art is lost but there isn't anyway to work around it ? or is it the cost that prevent it from happening?

elminster said:

@elminster that is a great idea ;)
    Still, you're being a bit overly idealistic about all this, @kaguana‌. I understand the whole "never say never" philosophy and all that, but when it comes to this specific issue, "never" is pretty close (albeit pessimistic) to reality. Frankly, the likelihood of the development of an HD version of these games without the original content available for use is probably lower than the chances of Baldur's Gate III being released. It's more likely that the developers will build a new game entirely from scratch, rather than rebuilding an old game and risk upsetting everyone. It's just too costly and risky of an enterprise, and without an adequate return, for the developers to make an HD version unless the original content is found. Even then, there is the matter of contractual limitations and how to resolve that without the developers losing their rights to work on the games.

Overall, the prospects of an HD version in the near future are quite dim. I don't think any of us are trying to burst your bubble; we're just letting you know that you shouldn't get your hopes up about something unlikely to come to pass.
    I'm not in a bubble of any kind I know that the chance for it aren't good but it doesn't mean it won't happen, again I didn't talk about anytime in particular about when this should or shouldn't happen. As for Baldur's Gate III well I don't see the point when the game seem to be concluded at the end of Tob but it will be nice to get a new game that is similar to BG but a new story new adventures in forgotten realms with D&D rules.
    LiamEsler said:

If anyone has a good ~15 million lying around and is willing to front it for development costs, we'd love to do a BGII:EE:HD. Otherwise, yeah, prospects are incredibly unlikely.

Yeah I thought it about budget and that a lot of money you are talking there.
    Question did you guys thought about asking for help from the community and from investors to help out make it a donation for only this project? I know it a lot of money and I don't know how many people the community have, but maybe it can be done in the long run, I'm sure people will love to help however they can or am I tooooo idealistic here like I was told I'm?

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I think the investors/Atari/higher ups/whathaveyou have already said no on crowdfunding. For like, anything.

Usually I'm an optimist, but in this case, hell is going to have freeze over for this to ever happen, and I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

I think the investors/Atari/higher ups/whathaveyou have already said no on crowdfunding. For like, anything.

Usually I'm an optimist, but in this case, hell is going to have freeze over for this to ever happen, and I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

No crowdfunding that no fun, why not ? Why not to let the community that love the game to help out more ???? I think that something in their priorities are off here
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    My best answer? Because its Atari and their investors. Atari owns the rights to distribute Baldur's Gate even after their bankruptcy debacle. So, what Atari says goes, ultimately.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @SapphireIce101‌ Luckily we don't have to deal with Atari anymore! In this case, it's Wizards/Hasbro that aren't keen on crowdfunding.
    Doesn't matter who say no to it, it still stumbling block that don't let the community to help and that is a shame and narrow minded for the developing of the game.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @kaguana Frankly, crowdfunding couldn't raise the amounts we would need anyway, so it's no big blow. Crowdfunding has its upsides, but having worked on a crowdfunded game, I can definitely say it has its downsides, and requires a huge amount of extra work than a normal, publisher-funded game.