Skip to content

How to make a photo into a portrait. (ex - Turn yourself into a portrait)

BarikBarik Member Posts: 5
I just started Baldur's Gate and after playing around a bit I've decided to make myself into a character.
I don't know if it has been done yet but here's a guide to take a photo and turn it into a character portrait.

Step 1- Get a photo of either yourself or something (chuck norris?) else that you want.

Step 2 - Edit the photo on software. I used Fireworks CS6. Start by getting rid of the background if you want your own background. I used the magic wand to get rid of the background and touched up with eraser. Than alter yourself how you want I changed the colour of my eyes to be more green by using the lasso selector and cut and pasted the selection. Than I used the filter: Adjust Colour < Colour Fill at 10% Visibility and also added Filter Adjust Colour

Comments

• BarikBarik Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2014
    and also added Filter Adjust Colour < Hue and Saturation and just slided the Saturation and Lightness to the level I wanted. I edited the photo in the same way to change the colour of my hoodie jacket to red.

Step 3 - Cartoonize yourself with a filter. I used http://www.cartoonize.net/ and I used the first filter #1 to get a painting-like effect. It's free and pretty cool. If you use this site make sure you add extra space at the bottom of your portrait so you can delete the watermark the site leaves behind after using there free service.

AND YOUR DONE!

Now I am going to record my voice to add my own sound set.
    P.S If anyone wants there Portrait done just post it here (the higher resolution the better) or just send me a PM with the photo attached with the instructions of what you want done.
    Sorry for reposting thread kinda new with the text input here anyway the final product for me was
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Oooo welcome to the forums!! :D That came out look really cool actually! I really like it! If I was slightly more photogenic I might try this on myself, sadly, I look like a donkey stuck in reverse. :D

Very informative however! I shall turn my fiancee into a portrait! :D

Thank you muchly for writing this. :)

You're going to fit right in here! :D
    Thank you didn't expect a reply so quick :) I might update the guide to be less messy and more helpful if people are having trouble. But for now I am going finish recording my soundset and go through my first run as a dual berserker/mage. Also if anyone has any request for a portrait just ask away and I'll make one for ya
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I talk far to much on this board. You'll get used to it. ;) But yea, it's a good little guide, easy and quick to read and not to difficult to follow. :) Might take a little practice but it's good fun! :D
    Thanks mate! A lot of people will appreciate that. People LOVE custom portraits. :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited August 2014
    I did this with GIMP in 2 minutes or less. Basically I just use Gaussian Blur (strength:2-3) and then use various sharpen tools to sharpen the image and then play with the contrast-brightness. It makes for an okay pseudo-baldurised effect. You are a photogenic fellow, I would kill for those greens. Here I placed you in a monastery or church or something, maybe you wish to play a monk or cleric next time? ^^

AD1.bmp 203.8K