Skip to content

Trigger for visited area?

lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
edited August 2012 in General Modding
Say I have a creature that can teleport me to various area through dialogue actions, but I only want the response for each travel option to be available only if the area has been visited before.

Is there a trigger - like VisitedArea("AreaRes") - to allow this? Or do I have to EXTEND_TOP every one of those areas with some
IF
OnCreation()
Global("VisitedThisArea","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("Visited[Area]","GLOBAL"1)
and check for Global("Visited[Area]","GLOBAL",1) in each response?

Comments

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    More or less yes, check for "Visited[Area]".
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Alright :/ Thanks for the quick answer.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I strongly discourage the use of OnCreation for, well, anything. There's also no reason these need to sit at the top of an area script.
    edited August 2012
    I was thinking top of the scripts just in case some other mod does an extend_top on it with bugged looping script. Like the current case of DSotSC-BGT (v2.16) Lion's Way extend_top that prevents some BG1NPC content :)

What's the deal with OnCreation() ?
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    I'd probably do something like

<<<<<<<< .../mymod-inline/area_add.baf
    IF
    Global("Visited%area%","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("Visited%area%","GLOBAL"1)
    Continue()
    END
    >>>>>>>>

ACTION_FOR_EACH area IN ar1234 ar5678 ar9101 BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~%area%.are~ ~override~
    READ_ASCII 0x94 script
    BUT_ONLY
    EXTEND_TOP ~%script%.bcs~ ~.../mymod-inline/area_add.baf~ EVALUATE_BUFFER
    END
    That's pretty much what I did with 1 .baf for each area script, without all the evoluted code and variable replacements :p
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    edited August 2012
    CamDawg said:

I strongly discourage the use of OnCreation for, well, anything. There's also no reason these need to sit at the top of an area script.

I can think of one reason I would use it: Custom Text Screens. Other than that... agree.

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    lansounet said:

I was thinking top of the scripts just in case some other mod does an extend_top on it with bugged looping script. Like the current case of DSotSC-BGT (v2.16) Lion's Way extend_top that prevents some BG1NPC content :)

What's the deal with OnCreation() ?

In this particular case, it's entirely superfluous so all it's doing is introducing a point of failure.

My beef with OnCreation and EXTEND_TOP is mainly my conservative coding nature--I'd rather my own mod fail than break someone else's (i.e. reveal city areas and ar0300 in Tweaks). For whatever reason, I feel like I see OnCreation()/Continue() in particular abused in area scripts when the scripting would be perfectly fine waiting for the next script cycle.
    Points taken!
    Cam, I agree with the conservatism in principle, But if I put a block at the top of an area script and include a Continue(), I can guarantee that the rest of the script executes correctly. If I put it at the bottom, I can't guarantee that my script will execute correctly, because I don't control the content of the rest of the script and there's no automated way to check if the existing script allows things at the bottom to execute.
    lansounet said:

That's pretty much what I did with 1 .baf for each area script, without all the evoluted code and variable replacements :p

It's a matter of taste whether it's worth doing it my way. The main advantage is that it's easier to debug and much easier to tweak the details later.