Skip to content

Suggestion of work: Creation of an Mod friendly Interface

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
Probally i already asked this in some previous thread or individual post, but nonetheless it's an interesting request, specially with the high number of mods we have today, so here it goes:

I'm proposing, to anyone capable of doing this (i'm not), the creation of an inteligent interface to manage mods in BG:EE and BG2:EE.

The object of this manager is to activate and deactivate mods mainly in the game. Secondary it could block or warn about know incompatible mods.

As an addition (but that can require some colective work to be possible) this manager could adapt mods to avoid/diminish compatibility problems between installed mods. This isn't the main objective of this idea but would be very useful (but would require constant updates).

The interface doesn't need to accept all mods, the more important or aknowledged mods should be the main focus of this project (and ppl could vote/request for new mods to be introduced on the mod interface).

To end, this would be a long date project, where with time, more and more mods would be added and (if the work follow this line) more and more incompatibilities would be solved.

So, it's an passable/useful idea?

Comments

• FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    kamuizin said:

The object of this manager is to activate and deactivate mods mainly in the game.

This would be a monumental undertaking to get working properly due to how patching files work. Multiple mods can change the same file, etc.
    Also you shouldn't change mods mid game.

May I suggest you look into this: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56670-big-world-setup-an-attempt-to-update-the-program/
    Links in the first post are for the updated version.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    If the interface attempt to manage the mods interaction between them, surely it will be a huge long and endless work, but just an install/unninstall control? I don't know.

The fact is that i'm a bit lazy to reset my install and reinstall everything again as installments from the Beamdog Client doesn't have the reset button that exist in the site (unless i'm wrong).
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Start the game with BGEE.exe so that the launcher starts, in the lower right corner there is a square button. Click it and then Repair Install (you might need to clear out some mod folders for the redownload to work properly).
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    don't have this file, only baldurs.exe to launch the games. I installed through the client (if i'm not wrong, as i did this install some time ago).

Baldurs.exe button enter straight in the game with no intermediary screen
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    It would be nice to have a interface for WeiDu mods, so you could select components more easy etc.
    But I'm not sure if the work requiered would be justified. Also I'm not capable of doing it.
    I think there was an old thread here about the same thing and somebody wanted to do it.
    But I think the thread is dead know.