Skip to content

Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
I'm on a total isometric RPG binge lately (it's all I see myself playing for quite some time) and I have had this hailed cult classic in my to-do list for a few months now. But MY GOD, the combat just seems horrid. It seems inconceivable that many here haven't had a few go rounds with this game, and I would love some feedback and tips on how to get assimilated to this game, because I have fired it up 3 different times and never made it past a few fights with wolves on the first map because the whole system seems so mangled. I know I'll be missing out on a classic if I don't overcome it, so stop on by this thread and share your stories!!

Comments

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited July 2014
    Well, my boyfriend told me to turn it to turn based combat, because real time combat sucks, and gets you killed quicker.

Also, I would highly recommend installing the Unofficial patch over at terra-arcanum.

My best recommendation on a party is: Virgin Virgil, Sogg, Magnius, Chukka, and Raven. As well as get Dog, he's in Ashbury, and you have to be quick to get him, or
    he'll die

My first playthrough was as a Mage/Thief type character. It was kind of funny.

My second time I was trying to be a Blackguard turned Paladin, but I have a hard time being bad in Arcanum.

Third time was a Paladin, but I just couldn't get into it...

Four character was going to be a Debuante, magic/tech healer. I didn't get very far on this one either.

Oh, and out of the characters that you'll meet, Virgil is the best. He's the only character that will go whatever alignment you are, and I think he should be the romance interest, rather than Raven.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I'm definitely going turn-based, and the patch was installed before I even opened the game this time around. What looks like it is going to be frustrating is the stamina gameplay mechanic, but I think I just need to suck up the first few maps and see what happens. Obviously combat isn't this games strong suit, but it MUST have something amazing buried beneath that design flaw to have such a following.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I think what makes this game amazing is that there is no way to lock yourself out of the main quest.

Oh, and Kerghan has got to be one of the best video game villains.

To be honest, I kind of consider this game a work of art because it's so open, and the story is really good.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Yea I play with turn based on. I still get owned a lot which I really love. It doesn't coddle you, doesn't hold back anything. If you aren't strong enough it will just BRUTALIZE you. :)

A funny thing, I made a new character called 'Lucky Jess'. She picked up a pistol, her first time, took aim, fired. . . and her arm dropped off.

She killed herself.

Somehow.

Critical fail . . .