Skip to content

Quick Portrait Question

vreishvreish Member Posts: 28
I'm an artist, and I had some vague plans attempting for a portrait mod. My question is this: Would it be possible for someone to code the game (either BG1 or BG2) to change character portraits on the side of the screen when the character's status changes? When they're wounded basically, or maybe even when they're drunk. ; )

Thanks.

Comments

• vreishvreish Member Posts: 28
    Also, second question, is it possible to stick portraits in the speech boxes of NPCs who don't typically seem to have them (something of the sort seems to start happening in Throne of Bhaal)? So, say, if I were to draw portraits to some major BG NPCS would it then be possible to make those pop up in the speech box when those NPCs are talking?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Yes, to both questions.

For the first question, take a look at this mod.

For the second question, there are several mods that do that. BG1 NPC Project for example.
  • vreishvreish Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2014
    Thanks much. Regarding question 1, changing portraits, can you also cause the portrait to change briefly when the character takes an action? Like flashing an 'attack portrait' for less then a second when they strike?

Last two questions. Can the cutscene chapter header illustrations be swapped out, and has anyone made a mod doing that? Would it even be possible to insert other full screen illustrations, auto pausing the game and then dismissing them with an enter press or some such.

Edit: Also, sorry to be helpless, but the link to non-joinable npc portraits you provided won't load the portraits for me. Is there a quick fix on my end for that, or another place to see them?
    Post edited by vreish on
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    vreish said:

Thanks much. Regarding question 1, changing portraits, can you also cause the portrait to change briefly when the character takes an action? Like flashing an 'attack portrait' for less then a second when they strike?

Maybe it can be done using the triggers CombatCounter, CombatCounterLT and CombatCounterGT, see here for more info about these triggers, but I'm not sure it will work as I never tried that myself.
    vreish said:

Last two questions. Can the cutscene chapter header illustrations be swapped out, and has anyone made a mod doing that? Would it even be possible to insert other full screen illustrations, auto pausing the game and then dismissing them with an enter press or some such.

Take a look at this tutorial.
    vreish said:

Also, sorry to be helpless, but the link to non-joinable npc portraits you provided won't load the portraits for me. Is there a quick fix on my end for that, or another place to see them?

That was just the ReadMe, you can see the portraits by downloading the actual mod. They are inside a subfolder at the relative path "bg1npc\phase2\portraits".

The latest stable version is here, but it is not compatible with BG:EE.

The pre-release beta version for BG:EE is here.