Skip to content

How to damage what???

Hi everyone.
it is very annoying not knowing which sort of damage works best against which creature!
is there any COMPLETE list/chart that explains each creature's weaknesses and immunities?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    No because creatures (and by that I mean creature files) vary too much. It would be very time consuming to write up.

And 7,796 posts isn't? [BIG GRIN]

Still

Fair enough. The difference being that this would become incredibly boring work after going through hundreds of creature files.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    This isn't exactly what you're looking for as you will have to ctrl+F everything you want to find, and it's hard to be sure which creature file is being used by the game in each situation, but the info is there at least.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/faqs/27144
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    jahes64 said:

Hi everyone.
    is there any COMPLETE list/chart that explains each creature's weaknesses and immunities?

Yes, they're called editors. Either Near Infinity or DLTCEP will show you what each creature is immune/resistant to. It would be pretty time consuming though. Your best bet is just to keep an eye on the dialog box at the bottom of the screen. It will let you know when a particular weapon isn't being effective, so you can try something else. In a lot of cases it's fairly obvious. For instance, Skeletons don't have any flesh so slashing/piercing weapons won't be as effective as a crushing one. You usually just need to think about the nature of the creature, though some of the magical ones are a bit harder to figure out.

• jahes64jahes64 Member Posts: 177
    What is a DLTCEP?
    Belanos said:

In a lot of cases it's fairly obvious. For instance, Skeletons don't have any flesh so slashing/piercing weapons won't be as effective as a crushing one. You usually just need to think about the nature of the creature, though some of the magical ones are a bit harder to figure out.

Could you explain a bit more? I don't know anything about these facts! :(
    DLTCEP is a program you can use to look up various things in the game (creature files, item files, etc). Personally I prefer Near Infinity but either will do.
    Where can i get it from?
  • nosecretnosecret Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2014
    OK, it sounds like (from other posts as well) you are new to the game series or even DnD (at least 2ed) in general.

Although I like all the programs listed above, you're probably better off at first with this link:
    http://www.d20srd.org/

Although it's missing some data, you can read the monster types in general (not specific/named NPC's though) to get about 90% of what I think you're looking for.

using http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/golem.htm as an example:
    damage reduction 10/adamantine, bludgeoning means the first 10 pts of damage are ignored by this monster unless you hit it with either of the two weapons (one made of adamantine or one that does bludgeoningdamage). If you did 9 damage, "weapon has no effect". If you use bludgeoning, it bypasses the DR and you get the 9 pts of damage.

Once you see how DR and other resistances, etc, are listed in the SRD, using all the editors makes more sense, since they use the same DnD terminology.
    edited August 2014
    @nosecret
    You guessed it right. i am new to this game series and D&D in general. BG1EE and BG2EE are the only games in this series that i played in total. i have finished the first one but i am at beginning of the second.

Thanks for the link and explanation. :)
    jahes64 said:

@nosecret
    You guessed it right. i am new to this game series and D&D in general. BG1EE and BG2EE are the only games in this series that i played in total. i have finished the first one but i am at beginning of the second.

Thanks for the link and explanation. :)

NP, I experienced the same WTF moments ~14 years ago when these came out. When Minsc would say "maybe I need a bigger sword" I thought it was actually a hint and swapped to a 2-hander :D
    jahes64 said:

Could you explain a bit more? I don't know anything about these facts! :(

It's really quite simple for the most part. As I mentioned with the Skeletons, they don't have any flesh so a weapon that is designed to vut things isn't going to be as good against them. You want to use something that will crush their bones. And Golems are the same way as they're created from inanimate components. As for magical creatures, if you try both Slashing/Piercing and Crushing weapons against them and they still aren't affected, then you're going to need a magical weapon in order to damage them. Those are the ones with a + and a number after their name. The main thing is to keep an eye on the dialogue box at the bottom of the screen, and try other things if you see that someone's particular weapon isn't having any effect. In time you'll learn which enemies need which weapons.
    elminster said:

DLTCEP is a program you can use to look up various things in the game (creature files, item files, etc). Personally I prefer Near Infinity but either will do.

I agree about Near Infinity. About the only thing I use DLTCEP for now is to look things up. I find it has a better search feature for some things than Near Infinity.
    nosecret said:

Although I like all the programs listed above, you're probably better off at first with this link:

Thanks for the link, that's a fairly useful site.

Yah, there are a few places where Bioware modded some of the rules and stats slightly, but not so many that the site's value is diminished.
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    nosecret said:

To complement i would also recommend http://www.lomion.de/cmm/_contents.php since d20 seems more like 3rd Edition.
    @Spjuv3rn‌
    Thanks for the link.

Also thanks to anyone else who replied in this topic. :)
    Also keep in mind that if a character attacks an enemy with a weapon that doesn't damage them, they will usually have some vocal line that lets you know. Usually it's "My weapon has no effect!". Which is pretty straight forward, but some characters have their own unique line. Minsc for example will say something like " Maybe I need a bigger sword!".
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    EE Keeper can help here as well.
    Just browse creature and you'll get many information about it.
    Pibaro said:

EE Keeper can help here as well.
    Just browse creature and you'll get many information about it.

Where may i get it from?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Come on mate, just google it.
    edited August 2014

Where may I get google from?

Seriously? You're using a computer and you don't know what Google is or how to access it? You don`t get it from anywhere, it`s already in your browser. You do know where the search functions are don't you? Just look there.

edited August 2014
    Oops I meant to edit.

@Pibaro
    Thanks for the link. :)

@FinneousPJ‌
    i keep forgetting about google, sorry. :(
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    I think a 'good enough' answer might be better for you than a monster list of .. um, monsters, and what to hit them with. The catch-all weapon in BG is a +3 or better blunt weapon (staff, mace, flail, hammer, morning star).

+3 hits demons etc, blunt hits all golems, there are probably less than 10 enemies in the game that this won't work on. Plus we can name those monsters, or a simple search of the forum should return a million threads along the lines of 'WTF how do I kill a magic golem', or 'I attacked the demon summoned by the matron mother, now I'm getting owned' etc.