Skip to content

Will old mods from original Baldurs gate 2 now work again?

In the 1.2 update all mods (specifically kit mods) that used to work for BG2, no longer worked for the enhanced edition. Will the upcoming 1.3 patch for BG2:ee fix this or will old mods still be useless?

Comments

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    I'm sure there will always be some older mods that won't work properly with the EE version, but that's mainly because the mod authors need to do a bit of work in order to make them compatible. There have been slight changes in the overall structure that need to accounted for and that is not likely to change with a new patch.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    From my understanding the kit mods should work after 1.3. Though that may depend on the particular mod and if the author is still around.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    As I understand it, changes were made to the way kits were handled in the game engine to make it easier for people to create their own. So older kit mods will have to be rewritten in order to accommodate those changes.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    This patch makes it much easier for a kit mod to work with EE.

But the maker of the kit mod still needs to make it so their mod will work in EE. There are a few mods that work by default, but their few: most mods require a few lines to change their code.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Twani‌ yeah, that's right. Also, besides recalling you asked me about updating kit mods for the EE and having made a guide today, I can also say it's pretty easy, and it allows much more customization.