Skip to content

gamers! what are they and can there be something like THE gamers

NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
edited August 2014 in Off-Topic
Well,

not to open the pandoras box in here but to want to say something that disturbs me.

I play games, yes i love games. I love games since the mid 80s. I know almost any c64 game and most of the games of today. Am i a nerd or a freak ? NO, i have a live of crime behind me (probation etc.) and drug abuse and so on but i love games anyway. So what makes people do believe any gamer is now associated with the all the media hype around an internet drama ?

Arent many gamers not just ordinary or not so ordinary guys too who have a live outside the I-net ? should we people who play games now look in the mirror and ask us questions about things we dont have anything to do with just because we play games ? Is it that what some others wanted us to tell ? That we are something we are not but maybe yes because it could be and and and.

Well,
my point is, there is no such thing as "the gamer". Just people who have a hobby and everyone has a different oppinion. Thats it, i feel i had to say that. If anyone thinks he knows me because i play games honestly not in the slightest.

This generalisation of people only creates real hate because people are accused of something they didnt even knew it exists.

Comments

• SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    I think the difference between "gamers" and "people who play games" is similar to that between a "movie buff" and "someone who goes to the cinema sometimes". Most people play games of some sort at some time, but only gamers get really into them on a much deeper level than ordinary folk do.

And, sadly, we tend to get stereotyped a bit. It's seen as an antisocial hobby because you're spending vast amounts of time behind a computer, and often engaging on a far deeper level than most, but to me, that's no different to watching Eastenders and analysing the plot (except for some reason the latter is acceptable). It's just stereotyping, but it's on the way out, along with a lot of other stereotypes.
    NWN_babaYagaelminsterCrevsDaak
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I think of myself as a gamer. I play games, I'm interested in games. I even dabble in making them. Gaming is my primary hobby. More importantly though, I don't discriminate based on platform. People who restrict themselves to spesific consoles or pc ("console gamers"/"pc gamers") are idiots in my opinion; some games/genres are better on consoles, some are better on pc, some are best on spesific consoles. Heck, that can be said even of tablets or phones though those platforms don't tend to have diehard fanbois.

So that's more or less my definition of a gamer; someone with a broad passion for/interest in games. There's nothing better or worse about being a gamer than any other brand you can apply to someone based on their hobby. It's not as commonly socially accepted yet unfortunately, but we're slowly getting there as the generations that grew up playing games are replacing the old and dull society that didn't :D
    NWN_babaYaga
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited August 2014
    You could compare the anti social behaviour from many online gamers to the guys who play soccer here. I have a soccer field here directly at our flat building. You sometimes think there is a real war going on. So the I-net crowd is nothing compared to guys who play soccer. And these people are for real :D