Skip to content

Singing Advice Wanted

QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
Yo, there's enough total nerds on here I may as well throw this out here in the hopes someone will bite. Anyone out there willing to give me advice on singing and get technical? And I mean it when I say technical. Whenever I talk to other people about singing they get freaked out when I go into the differences between head voice, chest voice, falsetto, and all that other mumbo jumbo ... Not that I blame them one bit.

I'm a decent singer but I'd like to get better. I'm also nearly at a four octave range for what that's worth. Still, my biggest hoop is I cannot for the life of me blend head and chest voice. That's a pretty important ability and I can't even begin to understand it.

Other advice is of course appreciated as well, just keep in mind I'm looking for technical-based advice. For some, singing comes to them pretty intuitively; it does not for me. I have to receive pretty specific tips to understand.

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Nice song. Dodgy lyrics.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Interesting place to come for voice lessons....
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Interesting place to come for voice lessons....
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2014

A good start to finding it is to do vocalises up high, and just use your straight out forte falsetto at first. Then, keep repeating the exercises and gradually lower the volume to piano. As you sing more and more softly, try to start bringing some of your chest voice into the tone.

Sweet, if there's anything I'm good at it's forte falsetto. If you can call it good; it's more frightening than anything. Hahaha. OK, awesome, I will keep this in mind. It's interesting, when my vocal teacher tried to teach me to blend, he kept trying to have me approach the blend from the bottom up rather than the top down. Not gonna lie, I'm digging your method more, and I think it'll work better for me personally.

The blend only works in the top range of where you can sing with your chest voice. There's a natural break in everyone's voice, including female voices, where chest switches to head, and there's a range of about a perfect fifth where you have a choice of using chest, head, or blend. For me, that's from about middle C up to high G on the second line of the treble clef. Sometimes I can stretch that range down to around A or Ab on the top line of the bass clef, and up to around A on the second space of the treble clef.

Hmm, are you saying that the blend is only worth about a perfect fifth, or am I misunderstanding somewhat?

High Eb or F is the top of my effective chest voice range. I think I sound better using blend on anything higher than D. I only effectively sing high G's and A's in my dreams of being a tenor. That is, I can't effectively sing high G's and A's in real life. :)

When you say effectively you mean you can technically do it but the tone isn't good, I assume?

There's no online substitute to having a good voice teacher in your life. Can you sign up for a credit hour of voice instruction at your university music department? You'd also learn a lot of vocal technique if you took a semester of choir. I realize that they are probably not doing the style of music that you are interested in. But, I think a lot of the most successful artists in various styles of popular music did at least some classical voice training to get where they are.

I'll be looking into it soon. I've had a voice teacher for a year once when I was starting out. I've only been singing for four years. I was in choir once too, which was an interesting experience since I find performing harmonies very difficult (requires a lot of focus!). Always improving though! Thanks.

One final question - can you really sing over a four octave range? If so, that would be pretty amazing. Four octaves would be from low C below the bass clef up to high C two ledger lines above the treble clef! The coloratura soprano singing The Queen of the Night from Mozart's Magic Flute goes up to high F three ledger lines above. Now I'm imagining you singing the role. ;)

Not quite four octaves.
    Worth noting:
    *I've only hit that highest D once. It's forte falsetto that I do up there, although I'm finding the ability to go real high on piano falsetto as well. I usually crap out above the E, some days I get the Db, and one day I happened to have it all the way up to D, so it's probably BS for me to claim that's "my range" or whatnot but anyway I'm coming clean here so I hope that's cool. :P
    *Also the lowest notes could use some work. I've gotten a lot better with them lately, but the lowest one, that is the E (which happens to be an open E on a guitar for what that's worth; rather exciting to me personally) is more of a growl than actually singing, which would only really count in certain types of music. :P
    Thus I think it'd overall be more fair to call myself a 3 1/2 octave range. I'm just working hard at the 4 octaves because I think it's physically possible for me.
    I'll try to get a video up complete with audio obviously of my vocal range one of these days, Alice.

Thanks for all the information @BelgarathMTH, I'll be referring back to it every so often as I attempt to learn this. I greatly appreciate it!
    Post edited by Quartz on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If you haven't already, I recommend picking up a copy of Kristin Linklater's Freeing the Natural Voice. There are some exercises in there that may help. I also recommend looking into the Alexander Technique; Linklater is more about achieving a quality of voice that is your own, and Alexander is more about carrying the weight of your whole body in a way that allows you to speak, sing, and move without misusing or abusing any part of your natural instrument.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    What I meant before was that the blend works best in the perfect fifth around the break, but an accomplished singer can probably stretch that to an octave or more.

It sounds best in my own voice from middle C up to F, but I have an unfortunately limited vocal range.

By "effective" range, I do indeed mean the highest tone I can produce in relative comfort with good vocal quality, and for me, that's about Eb two ledger lines above the bass clef. I start to struggle with comfort and vocal quality at high E natural.

I remember the first time my college voice teacher started teaching me about blending head and chest voices. I was struggling to hit a high E in a Schubert art song called "Mein Herz". I had to hit the E during that German "e" sound in "Herz", and I just could not do it despite how long he worked with me to get me to use the blend to hit that note. Finally, he changed the lyric from "Mein He-erz, mein Herz!", with a long note on the extended German "e", to "Mein Herz, O, mein Herz" so I could perform the high E on the more throat-open "O" sound.

I usually hear it used for extended periods more in songs from some kinds of popular music than in classical music. I've listened to some very beautiful ballads sung by guys using acoustic guitars or keyboards and the blended range of their voices.
    edited August 2014
    I just found this multitrack from Olmo Heredia by searching for him on YouTube. Now this is a guy with an effective four octave range! I think I have just become a fan of his by means of my attempt to respond to this thread, which has brought me much intellectual and musical stimulation and pleasure.

I don't know if he will ever get the recognition he deserves, but I see this guy as a world class talent. I hope that awareness of him will increase and that he will never lose his amazing range through getting older.

Also, I thank you @Quartz and @God for reminding me why I became a music teacher way back when. I think I had forgotten due to some personal issues related to aging and other matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgYcv0abB8A&list=UUCNzh3No02F9lljdtDpxxEw

EDIT: Just noticed his shirt colors. Bass earth, tenor air, alto water, soprano fire. Awesome use of the symbology of the alchemical elements as an analogue for the four voices of music! And I thought I was the only person ever to think such a thing. :D
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    This one I will write is totally amateur , as I'm not a singer nor I have tried to learn. But I found out that you should picture every aspect of the lyrics that you are singing in your brain , trying to rise like a phoenix over that emotion , feeling it with your chest. It seems also you must control your voice in doing so at the same time not to crack up. Frequency synchronization is a language in itself I think , and so , feel to try your best to make the imagery you want the audience to have. I'm sorry everyone may know this but , I don't come across good songs pretty often that amaze me , they are just blunt nowadays.

For training , for example when walking on the street you love , try to tell something by singing without words , just notes. If you don't feel like it , I think it is something called "artist's block" , and you would have to wait for a day feeling more powerful and secure.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Note: While rising like a phoenix, having a full beard and wearing a dress are mandatory. :p
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    @DreadKhan Well the OP wanted VERY SPECIFIC clues , I leave the rest with him in perfecting them :)
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Not sure i can help,but i found this and there´s more links on the same page.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zORFIl68Ms
  • JairyannaJairyanna Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2014
    @BelgarathMTH‌, thank you for your answers to Quartz's questions. They've been the source of much illumination for me :) Blend between head and chest voices has troubled me for years; I have a very light head voice ranging 2 octaves from middle C to top C, and yet a very heavy chest voice from the G above middle C down to low C (tenor range!). You'd think there's a nice bit of overlap there, but I can't tell you the frustration it causes when I have to almost 'click' between head and chest voice in songs with a relatively low (for a sop) tessitura. There's no graceful phasing from low to high, just unpleasant angular sounds. This leaves me with very little repertoire to choose from; usually very early Renaissance / Baroque, or 20th C English folk-based songs. I don't have the Romantic clout in the low part of my voice to be able to tackle songs by my ultimate favourite composer, Edvard Grieg. Wo is me :P But I'll definitely try those exercises you mentioned. Thank you for your insight.

Also, @Quartz‌, I recently found this series of exercises which may be of use to you. I particularly like the descending and ascending scales with the short rests between notes which allow you to pinpoint exactly where the break is occurring (as it's often in a different place depending on which direction you're singing) so you can work on it. *shrugs* Might help
    edited August 2014
    @Jairyana, I'm glad my advice helped. I think the exercise sheet you have provided is perfect. You are likely a great vocal music teacher when you can find resources like that.

I would add that for male singers, the exercises should be done at the exact printed pitch, not an octave lower as a male singer reading treble clef would normally do.

@Quartz says he can sing that high C, but I would not be able to, so for me, I would transpose those last scale exercises down a bit, probably to the key of G or the key of F.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    DreadKhan said:

Note: While rising like a phoenix, having a full beard and wearing a dress are mandatory. :p

Good one
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited August 2014
    Cool to know I'm not the only singer on the forums. I can't really help you much, (since I don't really have the technical know-how) but it's interesting how many similarities we have, Quartz...
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Now that I'm at school and don't have a keyboard handy, you post an awesome warm-up, hahaha...

I'll still continue trying to blend with the aid of my guitar anyhow.

@Elrandir :)
  • Style_CommanderStyle_Commander Member Posts: 9
    I find humming from my lowest to highest notes, letting it break into falsetto and then going back down helped me a lot.
  • JairyannaJairyanna Member Posts: 209
    Humming exercises are great as they don't put as much strain on the larynx as when vocalising. The 'softly, softly' approach is always best :)