Skip to content

Epic names in Baldur's Gate!

DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
I have always considered that names are very important in fantasy games. I don't mean only character names, but spell names, area names, quest names etc... They fulfill stories, make quests more interesting and tempting. They make you remember them and feel the epicness. So my question is, what are your favorite names(including npc names, spell names, area names, you name it) in the Baldur's Gate series?

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Edwin's last name, Odesseiron, sounds really cool for some reason.
  • SabotinSabotin Member Posts: 38
    I always liked the name Yaga-Shura. Or Abi-Dhalzim's Horrid Wilting.
  • RhukRhuk Member Posts: 13
    Lilarcor and Carsomyr, Namarra and Daystar...

weapon names were really awesome in the BG-series.

Especially when there is such a huge Story behind them.
    That´s what I call fantasy :)
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Daer'Ragh, ''killing'' him again and again in bg1 is also epic. This vampire seem to be invulnerable by spawning again after being 'put to rest'.
  • DejwoSWKDejwoSWK Member Posts: 35
    edited August 2012
    Noober has some epic name
  • RhulqdahrRhulqdahr Member Posts: 28
    Portalbendarwinden is my favorite. Dialogue with that character is also epic. The ones mentioned by @Sabotin are great too.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I liked the name of the Katana 'Celestial Fury'. I made a New version of this Katana for my own Roleplay purposes because I loved it so much.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Narcillicus Harwilliger Neen: mad summoner of slimes and jellies.
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    Always Loved Carsomyr..

I'd love for Sarevok's sword to get a makeover and given some interesting name and back story.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Balduran and his butter knife!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Always Loved Carsomyr..

I'd love for Sarevok's sword to get a makeover and given some interesting name and back story.

I believe Sarevok's sword was specifically crafted for him, to help him focus his Bhaalspawn powers in a more martial way. It doesn't make much sense for it to have a backstory.

Besides, if you think about it, it is already a pretty terrifying and flavorful item. He was already trained in a powerful art that allows you to strike a man dead instantly. Give a guy like that a soul-draining sword that allows him to apply the very essence of Murder itself into a swing, and who knows what that's doing to its victim's body, mind, and soul? Something awful, surely.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Carsomyr, The Purifier, Varsconia (BG1 Longsword +2), the +2 warhammer from BG1, Thalantyr

AND WINNER FOR BEST NAME IN BG AWARD!..........*drumrolls*

FIREBALL! (Sorta wanna mod the name to mythbusters ball if i ever play a wildmage)
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137

Always Loved Carsomyr..

I believe Sarevok's sword was specifically crafted for him, to help him focus his Bhaalspawn powers in a more martial way. It doesn't make much sense for it to have a backstory.

Besides, if you think about it, it is already a pretty terrifying and flavorful item. He was already trained in a powerful art that allows you to strike a man dead instantly. Give a guy like that a soul-draining sword that allows him to apply the very essence of Murder itself into a swing, and who knows what that's doing to its victim's body, mind, and soul? Something awful, surely.
    Oh yeah it was his sword but a more fleshed out story maybe explaining how he got it etc. Maybe some info about him being a Deathbringer and so on would have been cool. It could still be given a proper name too.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Good points, and actually something I'd like to see, as well. Tough to name villainous weapons without getting too grimdark or darkbad (separate but equally lame varieties of cheesiness), though. Ambition, perhaps? Harbinger is sadly already taken. Hm.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I used to like the name "Arkanis" a lot. Sarevok is my favorite now.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I have the original NPC guide, and in the back it has a lot of characters played by E. Gary Gygax's original group, like Erac's cousin, played by Ernie Gygax, and Bigby was Gary's character. Rigby and Mordenkainen were also Gary's characters. Erol Otus (the artist with the funkyvibe art, had a character named Valerius. Serten (Serten's Spell Immunity) and Tenser (Tenser's Transformation) were also Ernie Gygax's characters. And then there is Robilar, not a magic user, but famous nonetheless, and a character of Rob Kuntz.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Ellisime. I love the way this name is pronounced.
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    I love "Chaotic commands".
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Biff the Understudy
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Taurgosz Khosann
  • JarlaxleJarlaxle Member Posts: 105
    Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting and Flail of Ages which in italian sounds very epic for me: Orrido Avvizzimento di Abi-Dalzim e Mazzafrusto delle Ere.
    Specially for the Horrid Wilting, i'm feel like a boss while casting :D
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

"Baldur's Gate," when I randomly went past Baldursgata in Reykjavik while on holiday, I did a pathetic little dance of pure pleasure.

Now I have to visit Iceland...
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Habib Khalid Achmed Allafif

He totally surprised me in Athkatla with his scimitar and this long name of his.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2012
    Candlekeep

@Moomintroll, men, I tried to google "Baldursgata in Reykjavik" and Google promted a captcha code to continue searching like I was looking for three-boobed women; what's up with that?

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Zafiro Google is mad, maybe you've been looking up the original Total Recall film after being disappointed by the new one?
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    @Moomintroll, holy mackerel, they made a new one?!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited August 2012
    I know!
    @zafiro