Skip to content

Where does Baldur's Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast separate?

I want to change my PCs alignment & I want to do it @ a defined point in the game.

So, where does BG end & Tales of the Sword Coast begin? My general assumption is that as long as my PC is on that direct story-line from Candlekeep to Nashkel to Beregost to Bandit Camp to Cloakwood to...killing Sarevok, then I am in BG. Everything else, Durlag's Tower, Xxart Village, Mutamin's Garden, etc. are 'Tales of the Sword Coast'? Am I correct? Do I have it backwards?

Same thing for BGII. What separates SoA from ToB?

Thanks. CT

Comments

• If you're referring to timelines then I think TOTSC happens just after Cloakwood mines. If you go into the mission pack you'll see that one of the characters has Spider's Bane, which can only be found in Cloakwood. It also makes sense as there would be no possible way to get through Baldur's Gate to Ulgoth's Beard until after the Cloakwood mines.

I may be wrong on this next part but...I think Baldur's Gate starts in the spring of 1368DR (even though the trees look like they're in autumn). Then Shadows of Amn probably takes place nearer the winter of 1368DR to spring of 1369DR. As far as the lore goes, some/most of the stuff that happens in Throne of Bhaal happens in 1370DR. So I'm guessing that it's been about 6 months from the end of Shadows of Amn until the start of Throne of Bhaal.

If you're referring to the storyline however, all of the side quests are just for your own enjoyment. There's generally no real specific time to do them but, as stated above, there is a general idea of when is best to.

Hope this helps :D
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Tales of the Sword Coast simply added on extra side quest missions that your PC could undertake. It doesn't "happen" at a certain point of the storyline. To answer your question somewhat, the content added by Tales of the Sword Coast is Ulgoths Beard, The Werewolf Island, The Mage Island, and Durlag's Tower.