Skip to content

Kensai or Berserker Mage: Holding off levels for mage to fighter pips

GrayleGrayle Member Posts: 43
I vaguely remember back in vanilla BG2 that if I held off leveling when I dual-classed my fighter at 13(1.25 mil xp) until I reached mage level 14 (1.5 mil xp), I'd be able to allocate the mage weapon pips into fighter weapon proficiencies. Does anybody remember if this still works?

Comments

• GlidderdustGlidderdust Member Posts: 70
    I was testing some things over the weekend and I'm pretty sure it still works.
    GrayleJuliusBorisovKlorox
  • GrayleGrayle Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2014

I was testing some things over the weekend and I'm pretty sure it still works.

Thanks for the fast reply! That's 3 additional weapon pips I can pump into my katanas I believe. Might get grandmastery in another weapon then. :)

• KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    That's dedication bro. Talk about a boring character (running around in what feels like /forever/ as a 5th level Mage with one weapon proficiency and a lot of HP!).
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98
    It's definitely not boring if you're solo no-reload in SCS :). It's actually sometimes a little too exciting (and different to normal play!) since you're so underpowered and having to rely almost exclusively on wands and/or scrolls, etc. (Even if you're not using SCS or no-reloading, being solo makes it is quite a different experience rather than just being a tag-along XP-sink.)

Of course such a solo requires extensive metagaming, which may not be to everyone's taste.
  • GrayleGrayle Member Posts: 43
    It's not that hard. Your right in that you need a lot of metagaming to pull it off though. My justification is that my character goes into self-imposed exile for a week or so, to contemplate on what Irenicus has done to Imoen (at least, at the time of the story when I was dual-classing).

Then I stole all the scrolls, banked some fat xp rewards from some quests, dual classed - learned/erased/relearned scrolls, turned in the quests. In a matter of 2 hours or so, I was 13/14 berserker mage ;)