Skip to content

Any boomerang daggers?

I'm wondering if there are any magical, returning daggers in this game. I'm planning my party equipment.

Thanks!

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Only in BG2 as far as I remember.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Nope. Gotta wait till the under dark, I think. There is a throwing axe though.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    meagloth said:

Nope. Gotta wait till the under dark, I think. There is a throwing axe though.

Edited: You can also get the Boomerang Dagger +2

With the Limited Wish
    quest. Either way its in BG2.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    So, if I want an enchanted ranged weapon for Jaheira, I guess I'll need a sling.

Thanks guys!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    There are always darts. I believe you can get darts +1 in BGEE from beregost's smithy. She'll take a -2 thac0 penalty if she isn't proficient with them but with 3 APR she'll still be able to hit with them.

High Hedge also has elemental damage darts as well now.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Klorox said:

So, if I want an enchanted ranged weapon for Jaheira, I guess I'll need a sling.

Thanks guys!

But that's ok cause slings are awesome, right?
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    meagloth said:

Klorox said:

Thanks guys!

I like Slings,but they are kind I boring. Plus, Yeslick will be using one, so I now have to split enchanted slings up. My goal for Jaheira is to use the Dagger of Venom, so a throwing dagger would have been awesome.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I once created an 'infinite' dart +1 so that the mage I was using at the time would never run out; creating a returning dagger is trivial. However, a mere "returning throwing dagger +1" is boring so it would need to do something special and/or unique, something a little off-the-wall or outside the norm. Call it "Night-Night" and it increases the target's fatigue or "Uncle Fralin's Nightcap" and it increases their intoxication rating.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    There's a boomerang Dagger +2 available quite early in BG2 in Athkatla as soon as you get out from Irenicus' dungeon. Go to the Bridge District and in one of the Inns, there is a part of adventurers and their leader has this great weapon (2d4 dmg no less!). However, carefully...they are tough.

Regrettably, absolutely no magical throwing daggers in BG1. (Not even poisoned ones)
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    edited September 2014
    Actually, if you have the BG1 NPC Project Mod installed it adds a "boomerang dagger", that is to say a returning magical dagger, to the game. You can get it from doing Safana's quest and looting the cave for the hidden treasure I blieve. It's a great weapon for Safana or even Xzar but Jaheira with the right proficiencies wouldn't be bad with it. Can't quite remember if it's +1 or +2 but it is magical and it is returning.

If you don't have the BG1 NPC Mod, I strongly suggest getting it. They say it is still in "playtest" or "beta" mode right now with BG:EE but I've personally not come across any bugs with it. It basically adds TONS of party banter to the game, between the PC and different party members, or just between party members. It also adds a romance option for Branwen, Dynaheir, and Shar-Teel for male characters, and a romance for Ajantis, Coran, and Xan for female characters. There's also a bunch of "finished" quests (like Kagain's quest) and new quests tied to different NPC's. The writing is very good, they capture the essence of the characters in their banters, and it is pretty spot on with FR lore. I find playing BG1 without the BG1 NPC Mod somewhat trying after having played it before.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    meagloth said:

Well, I think I detect a note of sarcasm, but ... even in original BG1 you can find a +3 sling, which is actually a pretty decent weapon, and BG1ee has added a couple of +2 slings for parties with more than one sling-user. And of course, there are bullets with magical enchantments and also (added in BG1ee) elemental damage ... so yeah, having a couple of your party using slings is quite sensible.

In BG2ee, there are slings which are indeed awesome. I first completed BG2ee with a Fighter->Cleric with grandmastery in slings, who had good STR and DEX, and used the Sling of Everard +5 (which gets additional bonuses for both STR and DEX, affecting both THAC0 and damage), and he was terrific. His unHasted APR with his sling was 3, and by the end of the game he had unbuffed THAC0 of -13 and unbuffed damage-per-hit of 23-26. When buffed up, his damage output could (and often did) easily exceed 100 HP/round, which is pretty darn impressive for a ranged attack from a guy whose main job was as a divine caster, not a front-row warrior!