Skip to content

Dual-Classing: weapon proficiency restrictions question

The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
I googled around and looked at a few threads here, but everything I found was related to "what's the best build"-style topics.

What I'd like to know is the following. Say I want to dual-class. During the time where I'm still in my first class (e.g., Fighter), I can place weapon proficiencies according to the rules for that class (in the Fighter case, everywhere and up to *****). Then I dual, and am now bound to the proficiency rules for the new class (e.g., only using daggers, slings, darts and the quarterstaff with a maximum of * if I dual to Mage).

Now, what happens when I have "finished" the process and surpassed my first class in level, thus regaining the abilities of that first class? I know proficiencies don't stack, so if I put ** in quarterstaff while being a Fighter and * there while being a Mage, I'll have ** and not ***.
What I don't know: am I still restricted to the proficiency rules of my second class when placing newly acquired pips after the dual-classing is complete? I found a hint saying "you only level in your second class", which would point to the finished Fighter->Mage of our example still only being able to put pips into Mage-weapons, unlike a multiclassed Fighter/Mage who can put pips anywhere a Fighter can (only not as many at once). Is that true? Or will the abilities of my first class (Fighter) returning mean that my Mage is now treated like a multi and able to put his newly won Mage pips into a weapon category that isn't open to trueclass Mages?

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    It depends which classes are involved in the dual.

If you're a Cleric or Druid (as either first or second class), then the Cleric (or Druid) weapon rules will over-ride the rules of your other class - after getting your first class back, you will be able to use (and allocate further proficiency points to) all Cleric (or Druid) weapons but no other weapons, regardless of what your other class may be. If you allocated proficiency points to any other weapon when only your other class was active, those points will now be wasted.

Mages are the opposite: Mage weapon rules are over-ridden by the rules of your other class. Thus a Fighter dualled to Mage can use (and add points in) all weapons once he gets his Fighter abilities back. Similarly, a Thief dualled to Mage can use (and add points in) all Thief weapons once he gets his Thief abilities back.

To complete the set, Fighter rules over-ride Thief rules, so a Fighter/Thief dual will have the ability to use all weapons when he regains his Fighter abilities.

Basically, any dual-class character will have the same allowed weapons as the corresponding multi-class character. (However, the number-of points limit doesn't follow the same rules as the corresponding multi-class, so duals including Fighter can still get grandmastery even though a multi-classed Fighter can't go beyond two proficiency points.)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Thanks a lot, @Gallowglass. That clears it up. I've never done dual-classing before, and I didn't want to screw it up.