Skip to content

Help choosing a Charname class

I'm having trouble choosing a Charname class in bgee and I'd like some help picking, if anyone is willing. The party I plan to use is

Ajantis (Tank)
Neera (Mage)
Yeslick (Cleric Tank)
Imoen (thief7 ->mage)
Branwen (Cleric)
Charname (?)

I want to play some sort of mage, and I'm trying to pick between F/M, M/T, and C/M.

The fighter mage would give the team a little more front line presence, but seems like he's maybe not as fun as the other two.

The mage/thief would probably be the most versatile, able to support the fighters in melee or at range as well as cast support magic that doesn't worry too much about caster level.

The Cleric/mage is just about the ultimate support character, making everyone in the party better at their jobs while still having some cool tricks of his own to play with.

Which one do you guys think better suits this party?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    F/M or maybe even a F/M/T. You are kind of lacking in terms of a many good up close characters until you pick up Yeslick (Branwen is alright for this but just alright).
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Of your picks, Fighter/Mage looks to complement your party the best. You having thieving covered with Imoen, and divine magic with Branwen and Yeslick. You only have one mage and one warrior until the Cloakwood Mines, so both sides of the Fighter/Mage class would reall add something to your party (more so imo than Thief/Mage or Cleric/Mage).
  • jubangojubango Member Posts: 11
    Thanks a lot! Fighter mage it is then. Time to start rolling haha
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Once you dual Imoen to Mage, you're going to have no Thief for about half of the entire length of BG1ee, until she gets her Thief levels back. You'll need a Thief to cover for her during that time!

Therefore, of the options you propose, I'd go with Thief/Mage.

However, since you'll have Neera and (eventually) Imoen as Mages, I don't think your party really calls for yet another Mage. If I were running with those companions, my protagonist would probably be a Fighter/Thief.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I think the key to this your intention to dual Imoen. If that is something that you intend to do irrespective of how the game develops then Fighter/ Thief is a good idea. Otherwise go Fighter/Mage (especially as Neera is..........well, Neera) and don't dual Imoen.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    FT, FMT, or FD are all good options. Although I really like Druid spells, I think the first two are better.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    FM, but use him mostly as the party's archer. Longbows if bg1 only, crossbows if going to kep using. 2.5 tanks and all the skellies Branwen can summon? Plenty. Just bring a filler until cloakwood.

If you go archer and wont dual, go elf and bow.