Skip to content

DLTCEP help and/or a modest request

misteridmisterid Member Posts: 39
Hello Forum,

I want to mod an item (more on that later) and, as you would expect, found that DLTCEP is the most suggested utility. I am running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, I downloaded the latest DLTCEP version from sourceforge, but it will not run. I can extract the .exe file, but if I try to run it it freezes up, I have to stop it, I get a hexcode error that means nothing to me, and the window explorer that is opened to the .exe containing folder freezes and must be killed via task manager. Tried running in various compatibility modes, graphic settings, and admin mode to the same effect. Any other Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) having these issues?

I just want to make a +6 Carsomyr equivalent for a Blackguard. I was thinking something like just adding +6 Carsomyr's dispel effect to Dark Justice +5.

I am more interested in modding though so I would appreciate any comments on DLTCEP or alternatives I should look to. Also, I know it has been asked but I didn't see a clear answer (that I remember), where the heck are the item files and the like for BGEE and BG2EE?

Thanks,

misterid

Comments

• AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    It would probably help if you would post the error you're getting. Are you extracting the exe before running it? Have you tried downloading the file again?

There's already an unholy reaver though...
  • misteridmisterid Member Posts: 39
    Starting with the weapon. Yes, I know there is already the holy reaver, but let's face it Carsomyr +6 is WAY overpowered and a great weapon. I just don't want my evil character hampered beyond what the game developers already did (more BG 2 not BG2EE). Understand? Not in a condescending "understand?" way, btw. It i just that let's face it, the evil character players are already screwed. OG BG and BGToSC you had the damn flaming fist battle mages spawning and kicking the crap out of you, people would just turn hostile, and stores wouldn't sell to you. Combine that with more limited NPCs and it was a very biased game. IMO, BG2/BG2ToB was even worse. Only Viconia, Korgan, Edwin, and in ToB, Seravok, were worth it.

The thing about Carsomyr +6 is that it doesn't have a chance to cast dispel magic, it ALWAYS causes dispel magic, on each successful attack, and if I remember correctly, it does it as a 31 level mage or priest. Unholy reaver only had 50% chance and I am not sure what level it is "cast" at. I guess I could always add, via EE editor, the theif" use any item" to my Blackguard to escape the lawful good requirement.

Does the IEEP item editor still work? And if so can some one point me to a tutorial for how to use it in the EE Baldur's Gate?

---------------------------------NOW FOR THE DLTCEP ERRORS AND TROUBLESHOOTING RESULTS---------------------------

Okay, so first issue solved, kind of. I discovered that unzipping the file via 7zip or WinRAR caused the error (or at least [i]an error[/i]. BTW- I tried multiple versions downloaded from sourceforge. I think it is something with my computer though, not 7zip and WinRAR alone. My fiance's computer running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) did not have the issue.

Well, now that is fixed and it installed, but now it just will not run and again freezes the windows browser. I think there is something going on with software conflict on my computer. For the record and for others, I have a Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) with a AMD 1100T Phenom II x6 Thuban Black edition running 16 gb of 1333 RAM on a ASRock Pro3 880G motherboard. Running updated home version of AVAST! antivirus. Also, not sure if it matters, I have a 120 gb SSD for Windows install and core tools I use (photoshop, etc) and a 2 TB hard drive that I save everything like games and stuff on.

Again, I think it is software conflict, but I want to let others know. I am going to test later today and tonight to see if I can narrow it down to software or something else.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Alkalurops, Thanks for the reply and any subsequent replies!

misterid
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I've never tested DLTCEP on a 64 bit machine, but it is really weird that it would freeze another application. You might want to try NI as it is also updated frequently.
    I can only say: if your machine can't unzip a zip file but another machine can, then there is some serious trouble with your machine.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    Well, at least you're making progress now that it installed.
    I'm making a blind guess here, but did you try turning off avast? If that solves the problem, try to add an exception for DLTCEP to avast.

-----

On the topic of the unholy reaver
    If you say Carsomyr is overpowered, wouldn't it make more sense to nerf it to 50% dispel magic rather than making the unholy reaver "overpowered" too?
    Of course you're free to mod the game the way you want to, but I'd much rather see a cespenar-style upgrade mod.

I do disagree that evil characters are screwed. If your reputation really drops to the point that NPC's turn hostile and no longer want to sell stuff, you've probably done something really, really wrong. If you go on a rampage in real life, chances are people won't be selling stuff to you either...
    Also, I'd say the evil NPC's are all "better" than good NPC's. Viconia's magic resistance? Edwin's spell bonus? Sarevok has buff stats, and could even dual to mage if you really want to.
  • WigginnsWigginns Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2013
    I would suggest putting Avast! in gaming mode if it has one or turning it off temporarily and see if that allows DLTCEP to run. I'm running 64-bit home edition and have no issues with it using a different antivirus.

------------------

If you want Carsomyr to be wield-able by a Blackgaurd all you have to do is tick that evil aligned characters can use it since technically Blackguard is a Paladin kit iirc.

I wanted to do the same thing since I usually play a Paladin PC but wanted to try out Dorn so I'm playing an Evil party this time.

-------------------------

If you can't get the program to run at all I'd be happy to throw up a copy of the SW2H10.itm override I'm using for you to throw into your override folder so that you can use it. Although that's the Carsomyr+5 but I could fix up the +6 version for you mighty quickly if you'd like.

Here they are. I know it doesn't really solve your issue with DLTCEP but if you drop these in the override folder they'll work like a charm. SW2H10 is the +5 version. SW2H19 is the +6 version. They are both zipped in the one zip because I am lazy.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

I've never tested DLTCEP on a 64 bit machine

I haven't encountered any problems with it here at work.

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I recommend NearInfinity, it is sure easier to run, and to use for some people too.
    But you'll need Java to run NI.
    @CrevsDaak

Do you have a link for the most recent Near Infinity? A quick google search for me a few days ago turned up a rather dated version.
    edited November 2013
    Hello all,

First, @wigginns, THANKS! I cannot wait to check it out!

@Mathsorcerer, @avenger_teambg, So it is definitely a issue with AVAST! locking the file. Once I extracted it via WinRAR/Windows native utility and put it in the whitelist for AVAST!, it was fine. I have had issues with 7zip and other archiving utilities in the past; I made a regular .zip with 7zip and some people I sent the file to, who were using Macs, got a corrupted file, while when I decompressed it to test, it was fine.

@avenger_teambg, I have found that anytime a program is blocked by AVAST!, it will freeze the windows explorer window if the program was opened via and windows explorer windows. I ran into this today getting some phylogenetic/genomic annotation software working for a post-doc in our lab. Kind of an odd side effect really, can't explain why it happens.

@Alkalurops, instead of nerfing carsomyr I just want to put all the paladin types back on even ground. I try respect the decisions made by the developers, but since I can now be an evil "paladin" I want to have the same benefit for all "paladins" you know?

I still think playing evil characters is selected more against than it actually would be. For instance, the flaming fist would really not be likely to spawn and attack in the middle of wilderness areas, many stores would still deal with you, not just refuse, etc. I agree that the characters are better, but they are fewer and so I have less options. More importantly to me, and not a real effect in game per-say, I feel like I have less re-playability. I really like the interactions and story lines the most, changing your class types and characters; maybe cleric with aerie as love one time, redo as fighter with anomen next, etc etc. But, if I want to be evil, I have Viconia as romance, or I make the wuss anomen, what, chaotic neutral?

I am really looking forward to really getting into BG2EE because I think it is going to have a much higher re-playability for evil characters, compared to the OG sagas.

Oh, off topic really, but does anyone know if you can make the ctrl hot keys, the ones turned on by

CLUAConsole:EnableCheatKeys()

perm. in BGEE by using the Debug Mode method that is used in BG2 BG2:ToB and BG2EE instead of the BG, BG:ToSC Cheats = 1 method??

Thanks guys.

misterid
    I thought that the ctrl hot keys were enabled by default if you have the add the ('Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',) baldur.ini file?

At least the ones to change your character model (ctrl-6 and ctrl-7 I believe) along with the insta-kill (ctrl-y) and the max stats (ctrl-8) definitely are. Those are the only ones I've messed with

So if I understand your question right then, yes. They can be turned on permanently by adding that cheat enabling line to the baldur.ini file in your documents folder. Then it's a simple matter of hitting the keys and making sure your mouse is in the right place.
    @wigginns, I am not sure if we are talking about the same game. To be clear, in the original Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast, you used Cheats=1 to turn on the console. Each time you started a new game or loaded a saved game you had to run the CLUAConsole:EnableCheatKeys() to get the hot keys to work.

Now, in Baldur's Gate II and Throne of Bhaal, you used Debug Mode =1 to turn on the console. You would then run CLUAConsole:EnableCheatKeys() to activate the hot keys. The key difference here is that if you started a new game or loaded a saved game you did not have to rerun CLUAConsole:EnableCheatKeys() for the hot keys to work.

So, my question is, give than BGEE is running a BGII/BGIIToB base (essentially) does using Debug mode =1 work and make the EnableCheatKeys() option permanent? I am away from the computer I have BG2EE on and cannot test it myself for a couple days.

misterid
    edited November 2013
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited November 2013
    CrevsDaak said:
    @CrevsDaak

This link is very old. Most recent stable version can usually be found here:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/45358-nearinfinity/

Current version is v1.33 w1.3.0 (released on June 24, 2013)
    @Erg thanks, I didn't knew.
    Downloading the new version :D
    @misterid

Ah. I understand the question now. Unfortunately I'm away form my PC with BG:EE installed on it at the moment so I can't look into it.

If I remember tonight I'll look at it.
    @wigginns Super late reply, about a year late, but I actually cannot test it. Since this time my BGEE has become stuck at an update and I have yet to solve that problem. I kind of abandoned it anyway after this because I was not that thrilled with BGEE. Felt like I already had any of the important features from mods and the new characters and areas are not worth it, to me. Especially trying to find that idiot that the half-orc is after. I finally had to look it up, which gave the area and I STILL could not find him. Finally, I found a post from a player that said to go all the way up to the top of the map as the guy is sometimes hard to find. Very annoying.

Id