Skip to content

Best Fighter

I think i may have the best fighter creation strategy. First choose half orc for their strength and constitution bonuses. Then class can either be fighter or beserker. Roll till u get to a 90 or more and set your stats to max except intelligence. Then most importantly set dexterity to 3, yes 3. This will give you full maxes and intelligence of about 15 or more. The point is to make it down to the gnoll stronghold and obtain gantlets of dexterity. After that you will have a fighter with basically maxed out everything. Dual class if you want or keep him that way, the key is giving that 3 for dexterity. Seems wrong but trust me it turns for a great fighter.

Comments

• KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    How is that better than a starting 18 DEX?

How do you dual class a Half Orc?

What does an 18 INT and WIS do for a Fighter?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2014
    I'd rather have 18 DEX naturally and be able to wear Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization. Also unless you're playing solo there are NPCs who suffer without Gauntlets of Dexterity. Kagain, Jaheira, Yeslick and Ajantis come into mind. Also, doing this means you'll never have a DEX higher than 18.

It works, but there are drawbacks.
  • ballsackattackballsackattack Member Posts: 27
    True sorry about the dual class, but say u start as human then u can dual with all your states max
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Agreed, Elminster. Shorty's make everything better!
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

I think i may have the best fighter creation strategy.

No, you don't. The Gauntlets of Dexterity are the single most widely-sought item in the game, in terms of how many NPCs may be crying out for the same item, yet there's only the one of them available.

If you roll a 90 on a Fighter class, you can simply max out your STR/DEX/CON naturally (and CHA too), because Fighters have very little use for INT and WIS. Then you can give the Gauntlets of Dexterity to someone else in your party who needs them. That makes a better party overall.

If you really do want to experiment with bizarre Fighter builds in which you gimp a critical Fighter stat and rely on an item to boost it back up, then actually you should consider gimping STR (min. is 9 for a Fighter), because there are two items in BG1 (and several in BG2) which set a high STR, whereas in both games there's only one Gauntlets of Dexterity.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Belt slots arent as important as gloves anyways. There is only the 1 Belt of Inertial Barrier after all!
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I pity your Fighter OP.

What happens to him in BG2? Those Gauntlets aren't readily available there. Plus it's an utter waste of a slot.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Dwarven Defenders.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    elminster said:

I think i may have the best fighter creation strategy. First choose half orc for their strength and constitution bonuses. Then class can either be fighter or beserker. Roll till u get to a 90 or more and set your stats to max except intelligence. Then most importantly set dexterity to 3, yes 3. This will give you full maxes and intelligence of about 15 or more. The point is to make it down to the gnoll stronghold and obtain gantlets of dexterity. After that you will have a fighter with basically maxed out everything. Dual class if you want or keep him that way, the key is giving that 3 for dexterity. Seems wrong but trust me it turns for a great fighter.

With a 90 roll you can have a dwarf with 18, 17, 19, 15, 7, 14 (you can technically even lower wisdom to 5 and raise charisma to 16 if you'd like)

With 19 constitution you get +5 to all your saving throws (due to being a dwarf). You will lose out when it comes to strength but by chapter 6 that can be taken care of (the difference between 19 and 20 strength is marginal).

But on the flip side compared to your half orc build you'll be 25% more likely to avoid poison, charm, confusion, horror, web, and any number of other spells or saves you have to make during the game. If you are a berserker your enrage can take care of some of these, but not all of them. I'd still say a dwarf is the better way to go.
    This.

In fact its even more important. With -5 save vs spells gnomes, dwarfs and halflings makes the best fighters.

Late game they will always save vs death spells etc while a half orc can be insta gibbed.
    And getting a halfling to 19 str in stats can be done mid game bg2 and then even a halfling is much better than the HO. Ofc dwarfs are best but cant romance aerie!
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited September 2014
    In my opinion, Dwarves and Elves are better possible fighters than Half-Orcs.
    -Elfs because of +1 with longswords (If you have a belt of giant + gauntlets of extraordinary specialization, this bonus will still count). Also, in BG1, immunity to sleep is very nice. You can rush with your elf/fighter against the monsters, and just cast sleep with your wizard, unafraid that it would hit your fighter.
    -Dwarves because of saving throws bonusses. (Because of the limit in 17 in Dex, I say it is equal to an Elf... Otherwise, it would be even better)

Talking just about efficiency, I think Berserker is the best kit for a melee warrior. Cavalier could be a match, but just because of Carsormyr.

And, yeah, you can't do better maxing Str, Dex and Con. I even think Dex is more important than Con, because of AC bonus.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    edited September 2014
    AC is nice but saving throws are even better. With halfling you can get both but you will need gear to compensate str until mid bg2 (which isnt a problem there is gear to easily obtain)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Vitor Sleep won't hit your party members.