Skip to content

trying to create 'divine might' with the 'draw upon holy might' spell: need help in dltcep

ainzbnainzbn Member Posts: 10
Got it working ok using DLTCEP with some attack buffs added, showing up in-game and all. Used the innate version (spin103) of the draw upon holy might spell. Problem is, I'm trying to add fire damage to whatever my current melee weapon is. Whenever I activate my power, I immediately take the damage to myself that I'm trying to specify.

I've tried copying the standard effects opcode 'hp damage' #12, with pre-target settings in it, from other flame dmg spells, tried 'weapon dmg melee modifier' #285, same result. My character takes immediate damage to himself of the type I specified.

Is it because the spell is innate? Or is it that the only way to add a weapon damage buff to a weapon, is to create a new 'summon' weapon that replaces the one you currently have and cannot add the stats from your current weapon to the one you have to summon?

Comments

• ainzbnainzbn Member Posts: 10
    here's a picture of what I've got now
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Try 284. You will have to create an eff file for the extra damage. I think that should work though
    edited September 2014
    284 increases thac0. I'm looking to add 1d4 fire damage to melee attacks when using draw upon holy might. I will check into the 'eff' thing, though. Why create new eff when I should be able to copy from flame arrow, or something?
    Post edited by ainzbn on
    ainzbn said:

284 increases thac0. I'm looking to add 1d4 fire damage to melee attacks when using draw upon holy might. I will check into the 'eff' thing, though. Why create new eff when I should be able to copy from flame arrow, or something?

So it is.

edited September 2014
    Start with the assassin spl that grants poison dam and change accordingly. Looks like spcl422. Be sure to change the name or you change the assassin ability.

Edit: to be clear change the name to the exact name of the spell you are replacing. (spprxxx). Be sure to change to a priest spell of the right level, give str or whatever bonuses, and so on

Note, this is a very helpful page:

http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/appendices/bg2kitabilities.htm
    hhmm, gonna try 285 'stat: melee weapon dmg modifier' with 248 with resource 'flamehit'. I think the opcode 12 'hp damage' with fire type selected is not working because in the Extended Effects page the draw upon holy might spell is a '5-Self' type targeting.
    ainzbn said:

hhmm, gonna try 285 'stat: melee weapon dmg modifier' with 248 with resource 'flamehit'. I think the opcode 12 'hp damage' with fire type selected is not working because in the Extended Effects page the draw upon holy might spell is a '5-Self' type targeting.

Yeah, you dont want to use that opcode directly. Let me know how our works out
    well, the opcode 285: stat melee wpn dmg mod works in-game. I tried assigning a dice roll modifier to it, but it seems only a hard dmg value will work. But it works! Tried to enter the fire code from opcode 12: hp dmg, but that did nothing. So, the damage will be limited to only melee dmg, and cannot change type to flame.

Can't get the opcode 248: item set melee effect (flamehit) to work, was trying to add a 'flame damage effect' to successful melee hits, so at least it looks like a fire attack visually. Not sure if it is because opcode 248 has to be tied to an actual item or not.
    some pics.
    1st is opcode 248 with flamehit, which is not working.
    2nd is opcode 285 with 5 extra dmg. works fine.
    3rd is opcode 285 with a 1d6 dmg. did not work.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I would exchange opcode 12 in your first image for opcode 177 (use eff), setting the ids target to 2/0 for 'anyone' and then place 'flamehit' in the resource. This should apply the flame damage to whomever you hit. Opcode 248 would work if you edited your character's clabxxxx.2da to have ap_paly103, which would then assign the flamehit effect to all your melee strikes (but would do so on a permanent basis).
    edited September 2014
    well....went back to what Grammarsalad said about use opcode 248 and create an eff for it. Took me forever to figure that out. I kept trying 248 with different eff's already in there, looking up different spells and trying to match their effects, and nothing worked. All I wanted was a little flame when I hit someone while using Call Upon Holy Might.

Then, I finally figured out what Grammarsalad meant by creating an eff. It took all 2 min to create my own hp dmg 1d6 fire lol. Thought it meant having to photoshop or something.

Instead, it was just another layer of opcodes.

And....it works! woo-hoo! My Divine Might (hybrid sorta thing) works! And I learned way more about dltcep than I thought I would.
    GrammarsaladMathsorcererCrevsDaak
    of course...I also had to figure out how to create new strings. if someone had string '30', and could post it here, since I didn't make a backup and my spells description took that over....

whoops
    ainzbn said:

well....went back to what Grammarsalad said about use opcode 248 and create an eff for it. Took me forever to figure that out. I kept trying 248 with different eff's already in there, looking up different spells and trying to match their effects, and nothing worked. All I wanted was a little flame when I hit someone while using Call Upon Holy Might.

Then, I finally figured out what Grammarsalad meant by creating an eff. It took all 2 min to create my own hp dmg 1d6 fire lol. Thought it meant having to photoshop or something.

Instead, it was just another layer of opcodes.

And....it works! woo-hoo! My Divine Might (hybrid sorta thing) works! And I learned way more about dltcep than I thought I would.

That's awesome! You will find that it gets easier the next time you want to make a tweak!
    ainzbn said:

of course...I also had to figure out how to create new strings. if someone had string '30', and could post it here, since I didn't make a backup and my spells description took that over....

whoops

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you want to overwrite string 30?
    I didn't make a backup of dialog.tlk. dltcep shows a dialog.tlk.old existing....I just can't find it for some reason. So, when I created new strings for the spell description for my new 'divine might', I at first overwrote whatever '30' is saved as. I realized...after....what I had done and did the proper thing by adding on two new strings at the end of the list, one for spell name and another for spell description.

But string reference '30'....whatever it was.....is now gone.

If you could pull the date from 30 in your dialog.tlk and paste it in here, I will add it to mine using string editor in dltcep.

and by the way...thanks for helping me with this. couldn't of done it without your heads-up.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited September 2014
    How weird. When I use the StringRef Lookup tool in NearInfinity and point to strref 30 it is blank. 29 exists, as does 31, 300, and 3000 but no 30. I don't think you have any worries if that is indeed accurate.
    sweet!
    Same here. Completely blank