Skip to content

Miscellaneous stuff

Do I have to keep carrying miscellaneous things from completed quests like journals or keys and so on? I haven't found anywhere to buy a bag of holding, so it's an issue. Or if you can tell me where to buy a bag of holding . . .

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    No. Though you could always just stuff anything in a barrel or chest outside your favourite store to be on the safe side. I'm not sure if there's a Bag of Holding in the first game, but in the second you'll come across one during the main quest.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Although this might be akin to luring you to the dark side, life is too short for inventory management headaches.

Have you enabled the console?

This serves two purposes. First, if you discard something that is important later, you can always produce it. Second, you can give yourself a bag of holding.

Once you have enabled the console, when you hit CTRL + SPACE, a text box appears.

Type the following:
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("bag31")

Hit enter and there you go! Welcome to the dark side ;)

Next lesson, the joy of CTRL-J...
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, also you can sell some of the scrolls, but you'll not become rich with them (you'll get rich anyway).
    I usually store all the things I don't use in Joia's house in FAI map for BG and in the lion head low relief in NW Waukeen's Promenade map in Athkathla for BGII ;)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    There's no Bag of Holding in BG1ee - it's possible to cheat one in with the console, but that's much too cheesy for my taste. There are three Bags of Holding in BG2ee - two Lesser Bags (100 items) in SoA and one Greater Bag (2000 items) in ToB, although the in-game names and descriptions don't tell you that one of them holds much more than the other two.

Even with Bags of Holding, you're still better off if you pick a storage location for spare stuff - i.e. equipment which you're not currently using but might need later, stocks of ammunition and potions, assorted quest items which you either don't know whether you might need later or simply choose (as I do) to collect regardless, and so on. Eventually there's a great deal of such stuff, too much even for a Bag of Holding.

In general, junk from completed quests, such as keys and "The Journal of ...", is indeed redundant junk. So no, you don't need to keep such things (except the pantaloons, always keep the pantaloons, for reasons which will finally become apparent late in ToB). Nevertheless, some of us (including myself) always collect our quest memorabilia and stash it.

In BG1ee, I use the containers in the Friendly Arm Inn for storage in the first half of the game, then when I've got into BG City, I move my stash to the Elfsong Tavern. Both have plenty of containers, so you can store different types of stuff in different containers for easier management.

In BG2ee, I use the Copper Coronet Inn for storage at first, and may or may not move my stash into my Stronghold when I get one (depending upon which Stronghold I get), then towards the end of SoA I'll move anything I still want to keep to Watcher's Keep (because that's the only place which will still be accessible from ToB when I want to retrieve the stuff) and sell the rest, then in ToB I'll move my stash to my Pocket Plane. Unfortunately, unlike previous stash locations, the Pocket Plane doesn't have enough containers to manage the stash conveniently, but there's really nowhere else you can sensibly use for long-term storage in ToB.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited September 2014
    In a pure sop to sentimentality and symbolism, I stash Gorion's letter (after copying it) in the first secret storage location encountered in my adventures, the hollow tree on the Candlekeep Coastway. I..um..remove the item that is already in that hollow at the same time (because I am sentimental, not stupid...or rich yet.)

For the South, and indeed for most things for most of the game, I make a deal with Kagain and store most items on the many mysteriously recently emptied shelves and containers in his warehouse in Beregost, whether he is staying with the party or not. Once I have explained to him the concept of what's mine is mine, what's his is probably mine now too, and if mine is not still there later some of his body parts will also be mine, he seems to watch the stash very well.

I'll sometimes temporarily use a room in the Nashkel Inn, or an empty chest (funny they ALL seem to be empty after I look in them once) in the vendor area at the fair as a holding cache while I am clearing up the issues of the extreme South. In particular, I accumulate full loads of 16 like items at a time, so I can sell to each vendor for max (undepreciated) price.

Shortly after I arrive in Baldur's Gate, I usually negotiate a long term crash-pad and holding arrangement with Silence. Her rates are just so reasonable! Not to mention that she's had the Fist patrollers on a string for years and they never come in there. There are more containers at the Elfsong, but I like a quieter, lower profile bunk&cache.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2014
    I store such items in Borland's house which is directly across from the Red Sheaf Inn. Borland identifies himself by name in the conversation but when mouse-overed it just says "Commoner." He lets you stay in his home, and you can rest there. There's a dresser in his home that is unlocked. The chest is locked and you can pick it and use it. Just don't take anything out of his chest, though, because then he becomes hostile (although if your PC is not evilly aligned you could just ignore him as such, I suppose).