Skip to content

Planetbaldursgate.com down?

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited January 2014 in Off-Topic
The site has been down for I think a few weeks. Anyone know whats up with that?

Edit: I guess IGN took it down.
Post edited by elminster on

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Why was that site taken down?
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    IGN closed GameSpy last year, and the Planet wikis were run by GameSpy.
    It was inevitable that they would disappear one day.

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited January 2014
    They had good and easy to read listings on all the spells, abilities and some tables...

But GameSpy doesn't really have a place these days so I guess it's no surprise it's gone away.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    IGN are a bunch of idiots. PBG has been around since BG began and used to be a good site of news when the games were popular.
    I really hate how "corporate" the internet has become.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    That's a shame. It was a great resource. :\
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited February 2014

IGN are a bunch of idiots. PBG has been around since BG began and used to be a good site of news when the games were popular.

Lol. Planet Baldur's Gate was probably losing them money at this point. You don't have to be "corporate" to realize that's a stupid thing to do.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Quartz said:

Lol. Planet Baldur's Gate was probably losing them money at this point. You don't have to be "corporate" to realize that's a stupid thing to do.
    I don't think anyone here is really in the position to say what the financial position of the website is. In all likelihood as a website that was directed towards an over ten year old game series planetbaldursgate was just one minor aspect of gamespy that was forgotten about.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Is anybody here from the planetbaldursgate forum? (I know you are Drugar). Even though I haven't visited for over 10 years, I miss that place. We had some good times there. Ah, the memories...
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Squire said:

Is anybody here from the planetbaldursgate forum? (I know you are Drugar). Even though I haven't visited for over 10 years, I miss that place. We had some good times there. Ah, the memories...

*raises hand*

Back then, i was known as Sir Killalot.
    As a n00bish high schooler, PBG was my first introduction to international internet forums at the time, and had i encountered any different online community i would have likely run off with my tail between my legs and vowed to never use the internet again.
  • DauntDaunt Member Posts: 52

Squire said:

*raises hand*

As a n00bish high schooler, PBG was my first introduction to international internet forums at the time, and had i encountered any different online community i would have likely run off with my tail between my legs and vowed to never use the internet again.
    Yep same! I have fond memories of PBG, it's up there with Geocities/Yahoo for "early era internet places" for me.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

*raises hand*

Hah, Killalot! I think we actually met in a PBG Meetup with N00ber!!! and and Torack and some others. Good times.

PBG (then Baldur's Gate Chronicles) was the first forum I joined when I was 15 and was my home for a good decade. Shame it's down. There was a lot of weird stuff going on there.
    Dark Wanderer was the lord of the dead fish (with appropriate dead fish spawning pools), Squee his loyal minion who guarded the pits of horny Anomens, Blak Ruine wrote filthy PG-13 smut about ponies and penguins, there was a sharp divide between the Aerie Fanclub (AFC) and Elf Smash Enterprises (ESE) with regular explosive RP battles. Also, the Amazing Oopah! was the head mod for quite a few years. Nothing instills fear more than an exploding ogre!
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Drugar said:

...there was a sharp divide between the Aerie Fanclub (AFC) and Elf Smash Enterprises (ESE) with regular explosive RP battles.

Hahaha, I remember that! I even integrated it into my own fictional works at the time...remember?

Were you there when the woman who made custom portraits was asked to take them down due to copyright issues, and everybody on the forum practically raised their flags in open revolt against the moderators? So much drama...that forum could almost have been a soap opera. This brings back a lot of memories...I miss those days!
  • Rickus77Rickus77 Member Posts: 1
    I remember that nick Sir Killalot, not sure if anyone remembered me Rickus. I posted a parody of Star Wars, Return of the Jedi using BG characters. And some jokes about villagers drinking water from a well that the elves use to clean their butt, cos Inn keepers like to say "my hotel is as clean as an elven arse". Also like to post fake "how do you kill dragon" in Icewindale forum, knowing theres no dragons in IWD. Also posted about your character meeting the family of Jaheira, if she was your char's romance. Tried to search for it online but found out the forum is offline. Fun, funny and younger times, hee.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    This sounds like the RDI (Red Dragon Inn) forums on AOL. I used to post there as Vampire1.
  • LutzLutz Member Posts: 1
    I was a moderator, and leader of the AFC after Deconin, known as Lutz.