Skip to content

Why the code changes?

2»

Comments

• CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    There is no cake.

@DavidW I'd say that stupid-long scripts are going to be fine but I have no idea how long that might be.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    CamDawg said:

DavidW said:

CamDawg said:

Nathan said:

Actually... you'll be (pleasantly, I hope) shocked when you get a chance to run both games side-by-side. The game with some tightening up can (and is!) running much more quickly and efficiently. =)

Oh yeah. I'm so used to changing areas or saving and waiting for the little loading screen--in the beta these are near-instantaneous. If it wasn't for a bit of green text in the battle window there are times I would swear I hadn't hit the save button.

Can I expect it to run my stupid-long scripts more quickly?
    Oh, if you only had some kind of "in" who could hook you up with access to see for yourself.

Seriously, join the dark side beta. We have cake.
    For Pete's sakes, please do get David Wallace on that team! SCS/SCSII is the greatest thing since sliced bread (for the BG series).
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    There was cake, but someone told Coriander... Now there's no cake :(
  • TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    Wouldn't a more efficient code base also help with battery life on the tablets?
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @Tanthalas ohhhhh zing. Tagging @Coriander so I'm not the only person she beats up on a daily basis.

@Medillen ...this could be possible, maybe... :) But srsly, hopefully we'll have some more media for all y'all soon.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Nathan You're saying you want to move your desk to this side of the room...? I'm not sure how we're going to get @Tanthalas and @AndreaColombo within violence distance but they'll get theirs too. Oh yes. Yes they will.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    This is a triumph... I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS... It's hard to overstate my satisfaction... ;)

Make cake jokes, what do you expect?
    edited August 2012
    @Treyolen yes - my understanding is that certain load actions no longer slam the CPU to 100% while they're happening, so, that along with some of the other changes we've made would result in less power-draw fo sho. Efficiency for the win!

@Coriander :| I'd like to delegate my daily beat-down to our intern.
  • AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 110
    @Nathan I'll take my beatings for the good of the company.

@AlexM: good man.
  • ZacZac Member Posts: 5
    I didn't see this posted anywhere, but one of the big reasons is probably an API issue. There is really no way to port Baldur's Gate to iPad without removing all the reliance on DirectX/Windows specific APIs and replacing them with things the iPad supports, like OpenGL. Baldur's Gate 1 was never released for Mac OS X, and required mods, like BG TUTU to run the content. There weren't third-party APIs that could convert Microsoft specific code to something that could run on OS X at the time of the BG2 port, so the Mac and Windows versions probably diverged pretty drastically. The Mac versions were always pretty buggy too, but from what we've heard from the developers here, It's pretty amazing MacPlay got a port working at all.

On top of being cleaner, I'd imagine the "new" Windows and Mac OS X and iPad codebases have a lot more in common than the old ones.
  • ZacZac Member Posts: 5
    One thing I'm personally interested in is load time and disk I/O. With today's faster hard drives and SSDs, moving between areas should be nearly instantaneous.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited August 2012
    Treyolen said:

Wouldn't a more efficient code base also help with battery life on the tablets?

Assuming they graciously give back CPU time when they don't need it, yes. Traditionally, games assume you're running something with infinite power (PC, console) and you're not doing anything significant other than playing, so they just agressively take every cycle they can regardless of how optimized the code is. The situation is quite different on mobile though, I assume Beamdog must have tweaked the code to play nice with battery life and whatnot.

• rimaanrimaan Member Posts: 12
    This is making one quite eager to actually see it. Are there any videos of the beta out yet?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    @rimaan - no videos yet, and probably ever. The release date is less than a month away, so you'll just as quickly see the real thing in action on your very computer ;)
  • rimaanrimaan Member Posts: 12
    @AndreaColombo - Damn never knew one month could be that long:)
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Only 25 days if you dont count the rest of today :)
    Zac said:

One thing I'm personally interested in is load time and disk I/O. With today's faster hard drives and SSDs, moving between areas should be nearly instantaneous.

Yep.