Skip to content

[Mod Idea] Improved Beastmaster

I think it's no secret that the Beastmaster is considered one of the worst classes in the game for powergaming. It's got RP value, but fails at even that. Your familiar sits in your bag for most of the game and your animals are nothing but fodder.

I think the Beastmaster could do with an overhaul of some sort.

1. Replace the nearly useless and completely nonsensical Find Familiar with a real animal companion. Give them an option between something like a wolf, panther, bear or snake. The death of your animal companion cripples the beastmaster (temporarily or permanently, I personally hate the mage's CON loss but others might like it) and forces them to find another one.

2. Allow the Beastmaster to wear ankheg plate and dragon plate. Druids are allowed to, why not beastmasters?

3. Turn the three animal summons with one innate ability which improves with level. Something like: dogs->wolves->bears->leopards.

4. An improved charm animal which always works and charms the animal permanently? Might be broken in BG1 and completely useless in BG2, but that ability always worked that way.

5. Alternatively, nerf the beastmaster's combat stats a bit and give it some kind of ability to buff its animal companion in combat. Make it a weaker fighter than the other rangers but in return you get two fighters.

I'd be ecstatic if someone could improve the beastmaster so it 'feels' more like one. I've never worked with familiars, and I have no idea if it's even possible to give the Beastmaster its own familiars without overriding the mage's, but I'd love for the kit to be more usable.

Comments