Skip to content

Stuck in tutorial

I am so stuck it's not even funny. I don't get it. I've gotten to the part of the final test in the tutorial and found the basement and killed all the bad guys down and found a locked door but I can't open it. I can't go upstairs except to the main floor. Can't go up any higher. Can't go out the front door. Can't talk to belt. Idk wtf do now. I'm finding this game very hard and confusing and I'm only in the tutorial. They did a really shity job on the designing of the tutorial. There's no help in it. At one point I found a school and xan says I should let him learn it so I put it in the quick spells thingy and returned to my game and clicked on it and it said my party gained experience but I can't find the spell anywhere now. It's very frustrating. Can anybody help me with any part of these frustrating problems????

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    edited September 2014
    I'm not extremely familiar with the tutorial, but a couple things. For starters, I would say just start the game. The first area is full of monks in green robes that will all have useful advice. And the whole first area is designed as a sort of tutorial on the go. You might find that more useful. And no doubt, it's been debugged and thought through more thoroughly than the tutorial.
    But one specific thing about scrolls. You basically have two choices, you can either cast it, or scribe it into your spell book. If you cast it, you get the spell effect, but then the scroll is gone and you can't do that again.
    If you scribe it, it also destroys the scroll. BUT, that spell now exists in the spell book of the character who scribed it. In the case you mentioned above, you should select Xan, then click on the spell book icon on the left side of the screen. This will bring up the list of spells Xan knows, sorted by level. The spell he scribed from the scroll should now be in his spell book. That means he can learn and cast the spell, IF he is high enough level to do so.
    There's still a little more to know about learning and casting spells. But I would say play around with the game some more, then ask whatever questions you are still unclear on.
    Keep in mind the game was in many hundreds of pages of multiple rule books. So be patient with the game and yourself. People are perfectly happy to answer questions as they come up. And they will. That's fine.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Sounds like the BG2 tutorial, IIRC.

I can't help you though. Sorry.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    Klorox said:

Sounds like the BG2 tutorial, IIRC.

I can't help you though. Sorry.

I think it was added to BG1 for the EE release. But it really is unnecessary. The game starts like a tutorial.
  • ScoobyDoo13qScoobyDoo13q Member Posts: 5
    I created my own character and when I start the game I can't find her. The only place I find her is if I load my game and then I'm stuck in the tutorial again. Is there's a way I can start the game but still have the character I made?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Open the Record screen (the button on the left sidebar that looks like a person's profile), and select Export. Assign a file name, and then during character creation select Import > Character File, and choose the file name you entered.
    Thank you Dee I'm now in the game properly and with my own character. Greatly appreciated.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Scooby,
    Your description of what you did with the scroll reads like you cast from the scroll rather than learned it.

To learn from a scroll, open your inventory. Right click on the scroll in your inventory. A description of the spell will open up. At the bottom of that window, over to the right, is a button/action label that says "Write the spell to your spellbook?". Click on that to attempt to learn the spell.

Whether it works or not, you will get a sort of round pop-up window over your inventory page. If it worked, you'll get kind of a clicking sound and the text at the top of the round window will say "You have successfully scribed the spell." If it fails, you will get kind of a falling swoop sound and the text will say something like "You were unable to scribe this spell."

Success in scribing spells is dependent on the current Intelligence ability, basically. Its a reasonably high chance (65%) even for only moderately high intelligence of 15; for an Intelligence of 18, it is an 85% chance. Most folks (including me) will advise that a player character wizard in Baldur's Gate: EE should always start with a 17 or 18 Intelligence (really, 18, for the player character.)

There are fairly plentiful potions in the game that will allow you to raise your Intelligence for a few game-hours to as much as the max 25. Most players do most of their spell scribing under the influence of Potions of Genius or Potions of Mind Focusing, or both, which can expand your mind (temporarily) enough to guarantee learning the scroll. Scribing is guaranteed at Int 24 or 25.

The number of spells that you can add to your spellbook (repertoire) is also limited by Intelligence. For instance, at an Inelligence of 17 you may only write up to 14 spells of any given level in your book. However, that limit is also expanded if you use a mind expanding dru...er...potion of extra mental capacity, so usually it is not really an obstacle for dedicated magician types. The limit when your INT is pumped up to even 19 is "All".

When you put a scroll in the Quick Items slots, then click on it, you are in effect reading the magic disappearing runes from the scroll aloud, for a one-time cast of the spell. Oh, and the parchment of the scroll disintegrates also, so you aren't even gonna recycle the paper. Now, eventually in the game, you will accumulate so many scrolls that this my be your preferred method to cast certain spells, and it can certainly expand the range of spells you have on tap, in memory, on scroll, or via charged wand. But initially you'll probably want to keep 1-2 copies of each type of spell you encounter until you have arranged to scribe it to your grimoire.

Hope this all helps you enjoy the game with less stress,
    dreamrider
    Thx dream. The identity spell is already in my grimoire as u put it haha. I made my own character and exported her with everything she learned in the tutorial. She learned the identity spell in the tutorial so it's in my scroll already. I learned in the tutorial that I tap on the spell so it goes down to the "memorized" section but is grey. Once I rest then when I tap on the spells button on the bottom it should show up in colour. The identity spell should show up white once it's learned but it's not it's staying the dim grey of unmemorized spells. I know I was able to memorize it in the tutorial and have it turn white I just can't get it to that anymore. It's. Really frustrating me lol. (Btw I'm playing the game on an iPad haha.)
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Hey Scooby, just checking, what class is your character? If you're a multi-class, then just make sure you're not wearing armour when you're trying to cast spells, as they won't work, you have to take the armour off before casting. All that leather and metal leads to chafing y'know, which is a terrible nuisance when you're trying to remember the right incantations! ;-)
    Thank you thank you thank you. It worked lol. Much lay appreciated.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Hey, great, glad it worked! Glad to be of help, hope you enjoy playing, and post any other questions you have, this place is a fount of knowledge!....Now where's my scooby snack??? ;-)

Thx dream. The identity spell is already in my grimoire as u put it haha. I made my own character and exported her with everything she learned in the tutorial. She learned the identity spell in the tutorial so it's in my scroll already. I learned in the tutorial that I tap on the spell so it goes down to the "memorized" section but is grey. Once I rest then when I tap on the spells button on the bottom it should show up in colour. The identity spell should show up white once it's learned but it's not it's staying the dim grey of unmemorized spells. I know I was able to memorize it in the tutorial and have it turn white I just can't get it to that anymore. It's. Really frustrating me lol. (Btw I'm playing the game on an iPad haha.)

The Identify Spell is staying grey because it is not used/cast in the course of play the same way as other spells.

Once you have an unidentified item in your possession, place it in Inventory of the character that you wish to attempt to identify it. This should usually be the character with the highest Lore value. Highest Lore value is usually going to be your mage anyway, unless there is a bard in your party. Sometimes it will be a cleric, by a point or two.

Right click on the item in Inventory to open its explanation page. If the holder has a high enough Lore value to recognize that item, it will automatically open a page with the full explanation of the powers of that item/scroll/etc. The blue border will disappear from around the icon. No Identify Spell required. Initially this is only possible to occur with fairly common enchanted items, like Arrows +1, but Lore value goes up for each character with each level.

For an item that is not identified from Lore knowledge: If the character currently holding the item is not your mage (or bard with the Identify Spell), trade the item to someone with the Identify Spell. Open the item description again. At the bottom of the description should be a button, "Identify?". When you click on that, one of those round action choice windows will open, asking if you want to use your memorized Identify Spell, or use an Identify Scroll (if your are holding one), or cancel. Obviously, you will want to use the memorized Spell if it is currently available. You choose the button for the method you wish to use, and the description page changes to the full description of the enchanted item.

I try to start each day with one Identify Spell memorized (two if the mage is about 6th Lvl+, and wearing the Evermemory ring), for those times when you run into enchanted stuff that you know would be useful RIGHT NOW! I also try to keep one extra Identify Scroll in the Spell Case, for the same reason. Otherwise, I just take a day off adventuring about once a week, rest up while memorizing beau coup instances of the Identify Spell, and sort through all the accumulated mysterious stuff.

I virtually never pay to have anything Identified. I 'spose you might have to do this a lot if you were trying to run some weird all warrior/all cleric/all thief alternative party (Hmmm...), but, Hey!, Free vs 100 GP a pop. Its really rare that you can't wait 8 hours to Identify something, especially if you've already made it back to a temple or store.

AVOID using any enchanted item before it is Identified, unless you like living dangerously. There are Curses, some bad enough to end your character or party in the wrong situation. I won't tell you more than that, and sometimes in a desperate situation (like "you ain't getting out of this room unless you have a magic weapon to hit that invisible boojum") it may pay off, but it is risky.

dreamrider

Hey Scooby, just checking, what class is your character? If you're a multi-class, then just make sure you're not wearing armour when you're trying to cast spells, as they won't work, you have to take the armour off before casting. All that leather and metal leads to chafing y'know, which is a terrible nuisance when you're trying to remember the right incantations! ;-)

I always thought it was because of the locker room smell.

dr