Skip to content

Where Science Meets Magic (A REAL LIFE Cloak of Invisibility +2 and other cool things)

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
edited April 2016 in Off-Topic
I find this amazing. I'm sure fellow geek @Tresset‌ would find this interesting! So... physicists at my alma mater have apparently invented a cloaking device.

Imagine? When you were growing up who woulda thought this possible? If I had known I was at Hogwarts I woulda majored in Defense Against the Dark Arts.

This made me think... what other developments in science and technology mimic D&D spells? I don't mean something as boring as "guns are like magic missiles!", but things that are a bit more imaginative. For example, the stealth bomber essentially recreates the second level mage spell "blur". http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1180613/Caught-camera-Stealth-bomber-builds-steam-approaches-sound-barrier.html

Obviously in many ways the technology of today's world has surpassed the magic of Baldur's Gate or D&D. It is hard to find work as a diviner when everyone is carrying around the Wand of Identification that is Google. The level 4 spell Farsight costs 20 dollars at your local Home Depot. But in other ways, magic would still be able to solve problems that technology has yet to tackle, from healing to stopping time.

So, I was thinking this could be a thread that would discuss such topics.
What technology today do you think has mimicked the marvels of the arcane arts of D&D?
Would people choose the magic of Faerun or the technology of today, if given a choice?

And most importantly... if one man was armed with the best science had to offer in this day and age, and another was, say, a level 10 wizard in Amn, who would prove victorious in a battle?
Post edited by booinyoureyes on
elminsterRavenslightBelgarathMTHAristilliusJuliusBorisovlolienGozeta

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Tissue Engineering
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakGozeta
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    *mind blown*

Portable invisibility cloaks when? :D
    booinyoureyesGozeta
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Melf's Minute Meteor at work 0.0

GozetaJuliusBorisov
  • GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    When you finally see an actual Jet Pack. New York is so cool.
    lolienbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisovZiminair