Skip to content

Rogue Rebalancing Invalid Item Names/Descriptions

MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
I recently tried installing Rogue Rebalancing v4.66 (latest) on my Windows Steam install of BG:EE. I downloaded the .exe, pointed it towards my install folder, and picked the components that I wanted. However, it looks like some item/ability names and descriptions are missing. All of the added items have names like "Invalid:32388" for the name and no description (but they seem to be working mechanically). Abilities are the same.

I've kind of pieced together that this is a .tlk file issue with the game but I'm not sure how to solve it. I've tried running the installation .exe as an administrator and it didn't fix the issue. Anything that I'm missing?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Hm, as I recall @Wisp mentioned that this would be the case for certain items, i.e. the issue lies in the mod itself.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    This is not a known problem with RR. Some items may have string problems, but they should be comparatively rare. It is more likely this is a regular botched mod installation.

@Mitchfork
    Make sure you
    a) are playing the game in the right language (the same one you chose while installing the mod),
    b) that Steam has not applied any updates after you installed the mod (Steam can apparently do so automatically and updates wipe all mods) and
    c) that you do not have any .tlk files outside of your lang\ directory (if you do, delete them and reinstall your mods).

Make sure you test against a new game, since saved games can retain problems even after they have been solved. If things are okay in a new game, you can proceed to test your saved game.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Looks like language is the issue- for some reason the WeiDU installer for RR was "Using land\es_es/dialog.tlk and lang\es_es/dialogF.tlk" which is Spanish. Changed the language in-game and the item names/descriptions shows up fine (in English). I probably just hit the wrong number when I set up the language settings for the first time.

Changed "weidu.conf" to point to en_us and the issue was solved. Thank you very much, would not have thought to check that on my own.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Weapons Display does not have a description, because BG2 did not display descriptions for innate spells. Wait until you get Slayer Change and check out that description :)

I'll fix RR. Some day.
  • bpr5016bpr5016 Member Posts: 2
    Mitchfork said:

Looks like language is the issue- for some reason the WeiDU installer for RR was "Using land\es_es/dialog.tlk and lang\es_es/dialogF.tlk" which is Spanish. Changed the language in-game and the item names/descriptions shows up fine (in English). I probably just hit the wrong number when I set up the language settings for the first time.

Changed "weidu.conf" to point to en_us and the issue was solved. Thank you very much, would not have thought to check that on my own.

@Mitchfork‌
    How were you able to change the language in game? I am experiencing the exact same issue that you were finding. I tried switching the language to Spanish and re-casting bounty hunter traps but I would get messages such as: "Invalid 34005" but the animation and trap laying would proceed without a problem.

I also found some "Invalid" descriptions for short swords and short bows when selecting my proficiency points.

Hope this is a quick fix like you found! Thanks.
  • bpr5016bpr5016 Member Posts: 2
    @Wisp Perhaps I should follow the recommendation that you posted above and re-do my install? I'm thinking that it is just some mix-up with the language and not an incompatibility issue.
    @bpr5016‌
    Check weidu.conf first. If that's not the language you want to play the game in, yeah, you need to redo your mod install.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @bpr5016 If you're using a Steam version and had a small update recently, it reset your dialog.tlk to the vanilla state, hence all mod texts are lost.
    Read this discussion for details about a similar case with another mod.