Skip to content

Recommended level for rescuing Imoen?

As the topic says, which is the recommended level for rescuing Imoen in Chapter 4? I generally go for some sidequest before which ends with an total experiance for about 1-1.1 million exp.

However, I'm afraid that it might be abit too much; like there'll be no game challenge with such powerful characters by my side. Although perhaps it's necessary for being able to deal with the fights during The Underdark?

Tell me, what do you think. Should I go earlier (e.g. around 600 000 exp or so) or would you prefere to rescue Imoen when you're around level 12-13 with your characters?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I normally just do all the side quests before going (leaving me with probably close to 2 million xp in a 6 person group). So it really is just a matter of personal preference.
    JuliusBorisovMerina
  • MWOMWO Member Posts: 214
    Alright! I really DON'T go for the cheesy tactics. I prefere go RP-wise and hence I don't use e.g. Shield of Balduran, and I'm not even going to buy the Robe of Vecna for my transmuter. I find it... Well... Too good. Totally takes out the challenge of the game. And I've no cheesy stats etc. Hmm...
    JuliusBorisov
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Heindrich said:

1) I RP Good characters who would want to rescue their beloved friend/sister asap.

That's a topic covered during an early conversation about trying to rescue her. Probably in the meeting with Gaelan. Depending on what answers you choose, a party member suggests cautiousness.

Irenicus has shown such a tremendous power at Waukeen Promenade, a good party would want to prepare well by exploring as many places as possible for potential alliances, good equipment, experience and information about what may be required to free Imoen.

In a similar way, when meeting the first red dragon, party members suggest returning later instead of dying so early. And don't forget the Cowled Wizards who may oppose the party. You learn that simply rushing in and freeing her may not be a brilliant idea.

A naive party would let join Aerie and Anomen and be complete with Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo being the other early three. No time to get to know the other NPCs that offer joining you? Only if you spend some time with new NPCs in your party, you find out whether they support you. You don't even know whether Aerie has the guts to follow you to dangerous places.

Also don't forget your stronghold tasks and the many quest options. There are only few ways to avoid learning about new quests while having accepted another one already. Don't they raise your interest? Once you figure out you need to fight vampires, you would want to be well-prepared and not rely on temples for restoring drained levels. Some enemies serve as a warning, too. The occasional Lich or well-protected wizard. It tells you that you want to collect experience.

For role-playing, you probably would ignore the small tasks which only seem to cause delays. Anomen doesn't like such jobs. Though, even Minsc cannot resist the small boy that wants the party to leave the town and travel hours to some other place. Once your party is complete, you would likely not remove anybody only to make room for a new NPC that offers joining for a special quest.

If you try to finish many quests (except for Watchers Keep) before boarding the ship to Asylum island, you will notice that some of them get more difficult. More enemies, stronger enemies. A good opportunity to test yourself. You may want to gain more experience, but they won't be a real challenge anymore when returning from the Underdark. And Imoen won't be far behind in levels after some time anyway.
    JuliusBorisovlolienAtapa
  • Viconia9Viconia9 Member Posts: 34
    Doesn't really matter. I usually finish all of the side quests in chapter 2 and 3 and then go for Imoen at level 13.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    lunar
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    I usually do whatever my stronghold quest is first before I go get her, if I plan on using her that playthrough. I do this mainly so that I get the lower level version of her so that I can pick her level 12 weapon proficiency
    [Deleted User]
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I usually make a bee line for Immy, rescue her right away, and leave all the side quests for when I get back. Well, apart from whatever I had to do to raise money to go for her in the first place. I've never had any particular problems with it being too hard or any such; you're probably powerful enough just coming over from BG1.
    But then, I always play good aligned, and she's the one NPC I always want in my party. I've either of those conditions are not true, then you can justify it however you want.
    [Deleted User]JLeeHeindrichJuliusBorisov
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    I have, on multiple occasions, had Yoshimo down some potions to boost his stealing abilities, headed straight to the docks, and stolen/sold/rinse/repeat until I had the money for Spellhold.

Still didn't have problems once I got there. I wasn't underpowered in the Underdark or anything.
    [Deleted User]
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    1) I RP Good characters who would want to rescue their beloved friend/sister asap.
    Downside is that you either lose most of BG2 content, go around frolicking in the woods for months whilst
    wasting away from having your soul taken...
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    It is unfortunate that there is no let up in the story built in to the narrative. I think it would play better if you escaped the underdark with no clue where Bodhi might have run off to. Then you'd have to track her down, which could easily justify a lot of exploring and side quests.
    JLee[Deleted User]elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I have always completed all the side quests before hunting for Imoen.
    JLeeNimran
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650

I have always completed all the side quests before hunting for Imoen.

I do this also. I have rushed to get Imoen in the past, but then all the chapters 2/3 quests aren't quite as interesting anymore.

The story flows better imo finishing chapters 2/3, rescuing Imoen, and then racing to the finish.
    Nimran
  • I would usually do all the side quests, but recently I've been going earlier since I like having Imoen be vaguely at the same level as my party. Plus, there's something amusing about going through some of the sidequests in chapter 6 and having beholders and liches pop up in random spawns.
    atcDaveJuliusBorisov