Skip to content

Half-ogres Near Beregost bug?

GeronGeron Member Posts: 16
Just playing the Enhanced Edition and this quest still seems to be tricky to finish.

Or is it really a timer?

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Half-ogres_Near_Beregost

"In Baldur's Gate (game), this quest is bugged. The side-quest can be started and the half-ogres do appear in the area and can be killed, but it can't be completed, because the mechanic which allows Bjornin to see that the ogres have been killed is broken. It can only be completed with a mod which fixes this problem; the Unfinished Business mod

This bug may have been fixed in Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Alternatively, it may have never been bugged, it may simply be time-sensitive, with a fairly short timer, or it may have a conflict with one of the many quests urging you to make haste for Nashkel. Try completing this quest before going to Nashkel and you may get a shiny new shield without having to install a mod."

Comments

• GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    Exactly the same with me: in the original I'd sometimes find only three would spawn and the quest would therefore not register as completed but I've never had that problem in EE.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    bugged for me too... I did 3 times this fight
  • GeronGeron Member Posts: 16
    I'm quite sure i got 4 of 'em.
  • Lewis244Lewis244 Member Posts: 26
    I've had issues with this bug too, I kill all four half ogres, but the Paladin in the Jovial Juggler is nowhere to be seen? Is that because the quest is on a timer maybe?
    The Paladin is still there. He's in the back room.
    I have to take it back. I killed the "wrong" half-ogres initially. The ones at Fisherman's Lake were still there and i was able to finish the quest now. Sry for the confusion :D
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    elminster said:

There are four half-ogres you have to kill. In the original I recall sometimes a 4th not appearing but I've never had any problems with it in the EE (including the problem mentioned in that link).

I've never had problems with that quest, not even in the original. If there's a bug involved, it must be pretty rare.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    elminster said:

There are four half-ogres you have to kill. In the original I recall sometimes a 4th not appearing but I've never had any problems with it in the EE (including the problem mentioned in that link).

I remember a time when playing the original that I couldn't get the quest to finish - I eventually went back to the area and found a remaining half-orc, either because he hadn't appeared the first time or I had simply missed him. I killed him and the quest was completed when I returned to Beregost. That was the only time that I ever had an "issue" with this quest.
  • tuncofgraylaketuncofgraylake Member Posts: 2
    I'm a bit confused... I killed only two half ogres. They had a dead body lying next to them. Where are the other two?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2015

I'm a bit confused... I killed only two half ogres. They had a dead body lying next to them. Where are the other two?

Those were likely ogrillons. The half-ogres you are thinking of are on another map.

South-west of the one I suspect you are on
    Post edited by elminster on
  • veterannoobveterannoob Member Posts: 1
    The same happened to me and I was able to fix it by using EEKeeper to change the global variable for ogres killed.

When I loaded my save, I saw the number was set to 3 even though I scourged the area looking for the missing ogre to no avail. I set the value of the OGRESKILLED global variable to 4 (while keeping the HELPBJORNIN to its current value of 2).

After talking to him again, he recognized the completion of the quest.