Skip to content

Gel87's noob question about modding: Getting Weidu modded items into game, making new class etc :)

Gel87Gel87 Member Posts: 158
Hello :)
I got a lot of questions as i move forward in my new hobby(modding bg1ee and bg2ee).
I have learned a lot theese few days i have tryed near infinity and now just started to try weidu.
So I'll try to keep all my questions in this topic so i dont need to spam down the forum xD

My first question:
1 - I copied a item(celestial fury) in NearInfinity, the copied one is called SW1H101.ITM. I changed stats at the copied item, and also the descreption and name in near infinity which i shouldn't do(i know now ;d)
-I know that the item's dialogue text is the same, so by editing that i also edit the text for the original celestial fury sword, but it looks like the original celestial fury sword also changed albilities, so its now also a +5 sword xD What did i do wrong in my copy? (i can see it add same bonus when i put it on char)

2 - And then i dident care about the problem with changing the original sword, so i made some other cool stuff etc, but then my problem was that i wanted real "new customised" items with text from weidu etc. So i googled, and found this and tryed to do exactly what it said: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55875-making-a-weidu-mod-with-your-custom-item/
I packed the files/folders like written in that topic and put the file in my overide file. However when i look for it in EEkeeper i cannot find it :S (i find the item, but it has the old description)
Can any1 have a look if its correctly done? :)
Ref: Attached File

BTW: I will put more questions here as we go forward, my plan is to make a new class with new albilities and custom spells with items wich it will find trueout bg1/2, maby with quest for the items, or as easy as having caspensar making them stronger dno ;d

Anyway, can you check if i did this correct? Its a .rar file.

Comments

• Gel87Gel87 Member Posts: 158
    Btw, here is how near infity reads it:
    Ref Attachment
    Okay, so i deleted that mod. And tryed from the start again :)

I actually think i have found the fault, but i dont know how to fix it :
    When i copy weidu.exe and rename it into forexample "Powerfull sword-setup.exe" and put it into overide folder, together with my "Powerfull sword.tp2" file, and folder "Powerfull sword" with SW1H101.ITM and folder English(with "Powerfull sword.tra") inside it.

THEN: It changes its game path into where its put(ref attached image) (fatal error: "not a game directory")
    And then i mark: "Powerfull sword" folder, SW1H101.ITM & "Setup-Powerfull sword.exe" and zip it into a .zip file with zip program. I have tryed both .rar and .zip. (wich one should i use?)

If this is not the problem, then i will tell exactly how i do all step by step, so people can see where i do fault:
    Info: I use windows 7. BG1 and 2 EE.

1. I installed newest version of weidu. I copied what i needed according to what people said on google into my "C:Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition". (this is where the game is installed, where the data > 00783 folders is etc.)

2. I use Near Infinity (downloaded the 5th of october 2014, newest one). I copy a item, it ends up in overide folder automaticle, and i call it for forexample SW1H101.ITM. I enter that new file and do what modifications i want. It works, and I have tested that i have that part learned correctly.

3. I follow this guide: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55875-making-a-weidu-mod-with-your-custom-item/
    ** I use notepad, i write the tp2 program and save it as Powerfull Sword.tp2:
    - Forexample like this easy example:

//Powerfull Sword

//Part 1 (header section)
    BACKUP ~Powerfull Sword/backup~
    AUTHOR ~gel_kjetil@hotmail.com~
    LANGUAGE ~English~ ~Powerfull Sword/english~ ~Powerfull Sword/english/english.tra~
    BEGIN ~Powerfull Sword~

//Part 2 (add item to game)
    COPY ~Powerfull Sword/SW1H101.itm~ ~override/SW1H101.itm~
    SAY NAME1 @1
    SAY NAME2 @2
    SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @3
    SAY DESC @4

//Part 3 (add item to an existing creature, in this case the shadow dragon, Thaxll'ssillyia)
    COPY_EXISTING ~SHADRA01.cre~ ~override/SHADRA01.cre~
    ADD_CRE_ITEM ~SW1H101.itm~ #0 #0 #0 ~NONE~ ~inv11~

** Then i write my my .tra file and save it as English.tra with notepad. The program looks like this example:

////////////////////////////////////////////////
    //Power Full sword
    @1=~Long Sword~
    @2=~Rapist Right Hand +5~

@3=~These swords are usually referred to as doubled-edged swords, war swords, or military swords. In many cases, the long sword has a single-edged blade. There is no single version of the long sword; the design and length vary from culture to culture, and may vary within the same culture depending on the era. Among the most common characteristics of all long swords is their length, which ranges from 35 inches to 47 inches. In the latter case, the blade is known to take up 40 inches of the total length. Most long swords have a double-edged blade and a sharp point at the tip. Despite the tip, the long sword is designed for slashing, not thrusting.

STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D8
    Damage type: slashing
    Weight: 4
    Speed Factor: 5
    Proficiency Type: Long Sword
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 6 Strength
    Not Usable By:
    Druid
    Cleric
    Mage
    ~

@4=~Powerfull Sword

Not much is known about this sword, except it was forged by demons in the pits of hell, and it's said that it drains the targets soul stright into hell!

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:
    20% fire resistance

Combat Abilities:
    Insta kill: Every1 wich fails to save -2 throw vs death.

THAC0: +5 bonus
    Damage: 1D8, +5 bonus
    Damage type: slashing
    Weight: 2
    Speed Factor: 0
    Proficiency Type: Long Sword
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 11 Strength
    Not usable by:
    Druid
    Mage
    Beast Master~

- Then i copy my weidu.exe from "C:Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition" into "C:Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition/data/00783/overide" and call it for "Setup-Powerfull Sword.exe" (the Powerfull sword.tp2 and English.tra file is already placed here)
    - Then i make a folder called "Powerfull Sword" and i copy the SW1H101.itm file into that.
    - In that folder i make a new folder called English where i put the English.tra file.
    - Then i mark: Setup-Powerfull Sword.exe + Powerfull Sword.tp2 + folder "Powerfull Sword". And i make a zip archive of them. I have tryed both .ZIP and .RAR , but havent manage to make it work.

I cannot find this excact item in EEkeeper, I can find it in near infinity but its not a supported file format at the zip file, and its not acceseble at the non zip file. It looks like example 2 picture.

Question:
    Why dont it work? :( Is it because setup-mymod.exe change it directory folder when its copied into the new position automaticle?
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    It look like you never installed a mod before. You should try existing mods to get a better idea how to use mods before trying to make your own mod package.
    Unfortunately I can't head you to a tutorial explaining how to use mods. I didn't find any on modding communities where this is assumed common knowledge.

You need to have setup-xxx.exe, the tp2 file and your mod directory in the main game directory, where the chitin.key file and the music and lang directories are located.
    The override directory is where files end up being copied by the installer.
    That should remove error such as "not a game directory".
    Isaya said:

It look like you never installed a mod before. You should try existing mods to get a better idea how to use mods before trying to make your own mod package.
    Unfortunately I can't head you to a tutorial explaining how to use mods. I didn't find any on modding communities where this is assumed common knowledge.

You need to have setup-xxx.exe, the tp2 file and your mod directory in the main game directory, where the chitin.key file and the music and lang directories are located.
    The override directory is where files end up being copied by the installer.
    That should remove error such as "not a game directory".

You are totally correct, i have only modified stuff in nearinfinity, which i started with last week xD
    So its my first mod ;d

If I understand you correct, i just need to put this .zip file in 00783 folder, where the citin key and languish etc is :)

Do my mod also have a to long name? "Powerfull sword" Im just testing atm, i gonna delete and make better names and descriptions when i have learned how to do it xD
    Also, i entered the zipped folder, it looks like i then get fail location also...
    But if i extract the zipped folder directly into 00783 folder i dont get fault game location. But it looks like it still dont work.. Do i zip the files wrong?
    Now suddenly a wild debug file appered :P Is that suppose to happen? Does that means im closer? This is how my 00783 folder looks like now, ref attached picture from paint :) Example 3
    Btw, i have 1 zip file in the 00783 folder, and one extracted into there :)
    Okay, so i read some more around on this forum, and i found out that i have to install my mod after extracting it into my 00783 folder :)

So i press: 0 (for english)
    Then: Enter (execute)
    Then: I (install)
    Then: Enter (execute)

And get 2 copied files, and then a error, look attached picture :) Looks like im getting closer to install a mod? xD

What do i do with this error?
    Near infinity now finds the item, but looks like i failed at the text? I get no acces to it... Why?
    It has copied the item, and the creature where it gonna drop. But the text was not properly installed xD What did i do wrong? Or is it a classic windows 7 properties problem? :)

See attached paint drawings, here u can see pretty much all that fails, how the files are placed etc:
    Here u can see my program, is there anything here which makes it fail?
    -Pictures are of my backup wich got copied(text), and of my .tra file program and of my .tp2 file program. Locations etc of them.
    Ref attached pictures:
    In my mind it looks like maby baldur's gate main text is write protected by windows? Is that correct? Where can i locate it? :)
    Haha, im such a noob, but i never give up ;d The ENG_US.DLG or wtf its called was writingprotected, i removed the writing protect, and resinstalled and BAM it was a success, ref. picture attached:
    Yes, looks like it works wonderfull now :D Ref picture from nearinfinity :D

Now i know how to make new items with text, name and albilites :D

The next part for me be to make custom spells and spell scrolls, then a new mage kit(wich i see there is a tutorial for), then a mindflayer/illitied mage or smt, with its own albilities, like psisonic blast and brain devour.

So if i gonna make a spell, with spell scroll which can be found on a creature in bg2ee. How do i do that from weidu?
    Do i do it like this?:
    - Near infinity:
    1. Copy a spell. Name it "gel8701.spl"
    2. Copy a scroll. Name it "gel8701.itm"
    3. Edit spell effects etc.
    4. Tie scroll "gel8701.itm" to spell "gel8701.spl" (effect 146 and 147)
    - Notepad program for weidu install:
    5. Make a Psionic slam.tp2 file like this:
    //Psionic slam

//Part 1 (header section)
    BACKUP ~Psionic slam/backup~
    AUTHOR ~gel_kjetil@hotmail.com~
    LANGUAGE ~English~ ~Psionic slam/english~ ~Psionic slam/english/english.tra~
    BEGIN ~Psionic slam~

//Part 2 (add item to game)
    COPY ~Psionic slam/gel8701.itm~ ~override/gel8701.itm~
    SAY NAME1 @1
    SAY NAME2 @2
    SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @3
    SAY DESC @‌4

//Part 2 (add spell to game)
    COPY ~Psionic slam/gel8701.spl~ ~override/gel8701.spl~
    SAY NAME1 @5
    SAY NAME2 @2
    SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @3
    SAY DESC @4

//Part 3 (add item to an existing creature, in this case the shadow dragon, Thaxll'ssillyia)
    COPY_EXISTING ~SHADRA01.cre~ ~override/SHADRA01.cre~
    ADD_CRE_ITEM ~myitem.itm~ #0 #0 #0 ~NONE~ ~inv11~

6. Make a english.tra program in notepad:

//Psionic slam
    @1=~Spell Scroll~
    @2=~Psionic slam~

@3=~
    ~

@4=~Psionic slam
    The mind flayer enters the brain of enemies with such a high focus that the foes brain overwork itself dealing 5D6 damage to brain tissue and enemy has to save throw vs. death at -2 to avoid certain death.
    ~
    @5=~~

7. Make a zip file with ("Setup-Psionic slam.exe" + "Psionic slam.tp2" + "Psionic slam" folder with item file and English.tra file inside english folder inside) + Extract zip file in: 00783 folder.
    8. Install the mod via setup-blablabla
    9. Take off writeprotection of whatever setup fails to get access to.

Will that work? :) I know that scrolls dont have a unindentified desc. And that spells dont have any unindentified name/desc. Can I then just don't write @3 and @5 and program will still work?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

The "Psionic Slam.tp2" file should be inside the "Psionic Slam" folder. Maybe not strictly necessary, but it's best practice I believe.

Also, going back a bit, the best way to make new items/spells from existing ones is to open the old item in NI, right-click it and choose "export" and in the export dialog give it a new name and set the override folder as the destination.

Then close NI, open NI again, find your new item/spell and you can edit it all you want without ruining the original. Once you're done editing it, move the file from the override folder to your mod folder.

Thanks a lot :D
    Im far into my mindflayer mod now :D
    I feel like its gonna be awsome :D
    When it reach certain lvls it will be given a polymorp spell, wich allows it to change from mind flayer, into greater mind flayer, then ulithid, then greater ulithid, then HLA into Vampire Ulithid, then HLA (after choosing a lot of other HLA u can chose the last as Illithid God or smt.
    - For each time it can polymorph into the next stage it will be given a devour attack, which starts at +2, then +3, then +4, then +5, then very late +6. Where +5 and +6 is HLA, and +6 will only be able to be chosen after a lot of others HLA. At +3 it will become immune to Charm and Confusion spell, at +4 it will take -15% enemy res away, at +5 wich is HLA it will also dispel and it will have 2 bonus def and bonus 2 throws. At + 6 it will have a very strong devour attack, wich will kill targets who fails to save vs death.
    Also the mind flayer will have 10% res for each upgrade, starting at 10, ending at 50%.
    Dmg are something like(from my recall) : 10-12, 13-15, 17-23, 23-27, 26-34 or smt :)

Other spells and HLA wich he can chose from HLA table or gain from polymorping upgrade is:
    Implosion(gonna mod some extra dmg :P)
    Summon Umber Hulk
    Teleport without error
    Psychich blast
    Pyschich sleep
    Psychich brain crush

All my spells are ready and tested, but is not given a name or description in weidu yet, next point is to start with that. Then i will start on chaning tables for it and mod new class in weidu :D

What i need to learn is:
    - Wich saving throw should i have on Psychich brain crush and on +6 devour attack? I want them to be strong, not weak like finger of death?
    - How can i mod so my kitt class will do its polimorph before first irenicus movie when ur in his cage?
    Its going to be a mage, and also have most of mages HLA, and all of mage spells as usual :P
    Maby a little overpowered, but a figher/mage single run is just as strong i guess ;d
    I also wonder how the dice dmg work.
    Forexample 2D6 5D6 and so on? 10D10.
    Is it: 2 dice 6. 2 times 6 dmg? :)

The "Psionic Slam.tp2" file should be inside the "Psionic Slam" folder. Maybe not strictly necessary, but it's best practice I believe.

Also, going back a bit, the best way to make new items/spells from existing ones is to open the old item in NI, right-click it and choose "export" and in the export dialog give it a new name and set the override folder as the destination.

Then close NI, open NI again, find your new item/spell and you can edit it all you want without ruining the original. Once you're done editing it, move the file from the override folder to your mod folder.

I actually got a problem with my spells now :P
    I made a weidu mod, wich gives name and desciption to above 20 items/spells. With a .tp2 file + a english.tra file. It then looks like my spells was transformed into items when i install that setup(GELMF1).
    So this could be fixed by just doing the spells your way? :) I will just make a new folder called spells :D

My second problem is that im making my mindflayer kit. When installing it runs into a problem. I have put K_M_H, K_M_E, K_M_HE as classes who can choose the kit, but it doesent find theese .2DA files in my citin key, and that is correct because they dont exists for mage there O_o Do i have to make them for mage? O_o

Whenever I make a new spell, I open an existing one in NI, export it to the override folder with a new filename, close and open NI, edit my new spell, and then when it's done move it into my mod folder. And then write out the COPY command etc. in the .tp2.

You're making a mage kit? That's generally not a good idea. The game doesn't recognize K_M_x files - most wizard kit stuff is hard-coded.

You CAN make new wizard kits, but you can't make them selectable in the startup screens. Best you can do is use an item or spell or area script to trigger a scripted kit change from vanilla mage via the AddSuperkit command.

Yes i understand that way to make new spells now :) I will try that next time :)
    I was able to quick fix the spells for now though, i had written wrong code like this:
    COPY ~GELMF1/GELSPL02.spl~ ~override/GELSPL02.ITM~ lol xD

Wow this kitmaking just got very much harder xD

Hmm, is it possible to chose it from multiclassing into it? Lets say starting out as fighter, then a code that multiclass into it, then a code that use its first polymorph into mindflayer(visual) before the first movie?

I did not understand what a vanilla mage is?
    I also dont know what the AddSuperkit command, but i gonna goolge it :P
    Found this:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/615/tobex-01
    What kind of file should this be? .tp2 ?
    What do i need to make such a file? :)

Also, changed now into a K_F_H etc, now it can't load my clab file.
    It is in tables/GELCLA02.2da.

my code for this looks like this:
    // path to the CLAB*.2DA file.
    ~tables/GELCLA02.2da~ // "example/library/GELCLA01.2da"
    // this are the races that can choose the kit-- for example, K_T_H means thief human
    // and K_T_D means dwarf thief, so putting those here would make this kit selectable by those classes (from KITTABLE.2DA).
    ~K_F_H K_F_E K_F_HE~
    // this is the usability flag for the class followed by the class number
    // (see the table KITLIST.2DA for more information)
    ~0x00004000 1~
    // this is the name of the LU7C#K.2DA file, needed for HLAs and appended to LUABBR.2DA.
    ~tables/GELLU01.2da~

Ref attached picture :)