Skip to content

[IWD:EE] Random Monster Drops

After playing through IWD:EE, I noticed that unlike BG there are virtually no random monster drops in IWD (proper). There are of course random treasures at certain locations, and that's fine, but the occasional potion or SCROLL (!!) from a monster would do a lot, I feel. The reason I capsed that, by the way, is because that is the actual reason I'm suggesting this: scrolls, scrolls, scrolls!

Anyone who's rolled a mage in IWD immediately notices the shocking lack of spell scrolls available in the game. It is entirely possible to end up with spell levels that are COMPLETELY EMPTY, making half your journey as a mage not just less than fulfilling but downright aggravating. Not to mention that it is extremely difficult to run with more than one scroll-scribing mage and not fight over the few key spells (like Stoneskin, Haste, etc.).

I feel that a slight sprinkling of scrolls as random monster loot would do a lot to alleviate this. And I do mean light - I am in no way asking for every goblin to have raided the nearest Arcane Archive. But really, going through two chapters and finding three scrolls, plus whatever scraps Orrick decides to let us have this time around... that makes mages a major pain to roll, and gives even more power to the already powerful Sorcerer.

Oh and, I guess some other junk as random loot is fine, too. A gem here and there. A potion. A few Arrows+1, maybe? Just few and far between, but THERE at least :P

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited November 2014
    i disagree with your second paragraph. i successfully found appropriate scrolls for my mage within a reasonable space of time from new spell levels becoming available.

edit: but in general, yeah, some minor random drops would be great.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I suppose it depends on your difficulty setting, you do level rather quickly in HoF and I can't exactly blame the game for not having high level scrolls available readily.

I concede that point gladly, but I stand by my demand! Random drops, plox! You get a scroll, you get a scroll, EVERYBODY GETS A SCROLL!

Well, something like that.
    edited November 2014
    what about limiting the dropped scrolls to relatively less popular spells?

adding another key spell scroll would interfere with the original idea of arcane power scarcity

i view iwd as a lower-magic "place" than bg

the sorcerer remains a problem though. but what can you do. smart people on this forum will say "duh, don't play a sorcerer"

if you follow hjollder as soon as you can, in the HoF part you will have all the scrolls you need. then you can continue playing the bigger and best part of the game with a good spell repertoire. it was like this in the original
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited November 2014
    IWD uses monster loot quite a bit, but it's mainly to diversify encounters. Compare skeletons at the High Hedge in BG (every one has throwing daggers, medium shield, and a short sword) to skeletons at the Vale of Shadows. IWD gives them a random weapon, so you face a mix of two-handed swords, maces, hammers, etc., includig an occasional high-quality version.

This is not to say your point doesn't have merit. I just wanted to point out that there is a ton of random monster loot. It's just not the type most players care about. :)
    Post edited by CamDawg on
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    @CamDawg‌ Right you are. Lots of vanilla weapons of all flavors, and randomly distributed. But yeah, I'm glad you agree that while it's technically random loot it's not exactly the real thing :P
    there are a ton of random gems. random weapons, true. but i haven't noticed a lot of other item types randomly dropped.