Skip to content

Party experience and levelling

A little question, i have started the game and played to the vale of shadow.

And i find a problem in my party.

Halfling thief (rodomont) is level 5 (and why i don't understand)
All the others are level 4 (barbarian, paladin, cleric and ranger)
And my wild mage run behind at level 3 trying to keep on whit is sling and few spells.

So i find me a little in trouble with this.

So the question is, how the exp is splitted in the party? why my thief run away and my poor mage stand alot behind the party majority? and how i can give some chance to give some experience at the mage?

Comments

• Maglor_the_rumMaglor_the_rum Member Posts: 2
    "Shared Experience
    As in the single-player game, all characters in the party share in the awarding of
    experience points."

This point seems dont match with my experience.
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    Do they have roughly the same number of experience? Thieves level really quickly and by that I mean they need less exp level to level compared to other classes.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    You can check out XP Progression tables on pages 362-364 of http://www.beamdog.com/files/iwdee/iwdee_manual2.pdf

You will see that at 10k exp Thieves will be level 5, Mages level 4 and the rest somewhere in between. That's first reason for the difference in levels you see.

Another reason would be exp rewards not dividable by number of characters in your team. How exp is given to your team is best shown on an example.

Let's say you have 4 characters and kill a monster giving 10 exp.

1st exp goes to 1st character
    2nd to 2nd
    3rd to 3rd
    4th to 4th
    Then with 5th exp we start over with 1st character
    6th to 2nd
    7th to 3rd
    8th to 4th
    9th again to 1st
    10th to 2nd

So in this example, 1st and 2nd characters would get total of 3 exp, while 3rd and 4th only 2 exp.
    You might say 'but 1 exp difference is not that much' and I agree, but in IWD you kill lots of monsters so those 1s stack up pretty quickly.
    A solution to this is to change temporarily the order of your characters (haven't played the game yet, so I assume it's still possible). However, be mindful about it, because it will change their positions in formations as well.