Skip to content

Party of Four

I prefer playing these games with a smaller party - so I'm pondering what would be the most "bang for my buck", so to speak, in covering as many classes as possible for a normal runthrough of the game (not HoF). Here is my initial thought, I would love any feedback you guys can offer:

Human Cavalier - LG - Long Sword **, Two Weapon Fighting **
Human Fighter/Druid (dual @ 3?) - TN - Clubs **, Two Weapon Fighting **
Halfling Fighter/Thief - NG - Shortbow *, Quarterstaff *
Human Fighter/Mage (dual @ 3?) - NG - Long Bow **, ???

I like that Bards are "better" in IWD, but it doesn't feel like it's worth dragging one along in a smaller party - their songs really shine with all 5 other companions, I would think.

I definitely want to have a Druid along based on what I'm reading, but to be honest, outside of Jaheira in BG1, I've not really ever used one. The way I have this one configured, my thought process was another melee skirmisher like the Cavalier - dual-wielding clubs - but it feels like there's so much more to it: the Shapeshifting, for example. Does that make a melee-focused F/D with TWF kind of pointless?

I don't have a true cleric, so to speak. Is that going to be an issue?

I'm open to suggestions about this party, or any small party ideas you've found fun.

Thanks!

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I think bards are kinda a necessity even on a smaller party.

You can have less healing because of their song that heals and you need less clerics.
    They can pickpocket so free stuff or at least that is something you don't have to have your Thief do.
    Their lore will save you a lot of gold or rests and castings of identify.
    They can be a backup Arcane Caster.

So they augment a smaller party by being a backup Cleric, Mage and Thief basically.

I would think you can use a druid as your divine caster because at level 11 your Bard can heal everyone.
    You can dual class into Mage because your Bard will be an okay caster while you get your levels back.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    FMT
    FMC
    FD (kEEper Barb/Dru if you like)
    RC
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    FMT
    FD
    FC
    Bard
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Bard songs also affect summons.

So 6 summons will mean a Skald is contributing 24 more damage. And when those summons are hasted 48 more damage per round. It also means more people capable of casting spells like Improved Haste, so your main spellcaster doesn't use up all its L6 slots on that.
  • LaVoixLaVoix Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2014
    Based on the above, I've been tinkering around with some other ideas for my 4-person party, and the latest incarnation looks pretty fun - only, I'm missing an arcane caster, so all the scrolls go to waste.

Cavalier or F/C (dwarf?)
    Archer
    Swashbuckler
    Avenger

I'm still not entirely certain how to best use a standard druid or F/D - I like the idea of a caster-heavy druid with shapeshifting more, I believe (hence, the avenger), but I'm certainly open to ideas.

Mage/Thief is an option instead of Swashie, I suppose, but that leaves me with just the one melee character. This is where F/D could step in for Avenger?

I really, really like my Archer. That's the only character I don't think I'm open to changing.

Additional thoughts?

Edit: I *think* I've decided on

Dwarf F/C
    H-Elf F/D
    Elf Archer
    Elf F/M/T

Here goes!
    Post edited by LaVoix on
  • Manveru123Manveru123 Member Posts: 52
    I can tell you what I'm running in my 4-man HoF party. Might give you some ideas, however I do realize that HoF runs tend to be.. somewhat different :)

Ranger/Cleric (can be replaced with Fighter/Cleric if you did not edit your .ini file)
    Kensai 9/Mage
    Fighter/Thief
    Sorcerer

I'm strongly considering adding a Skald at some point, since I use summons a lot, but for normal run you probably might not want to bother.