Skip to content

Ring of the Protector +2 cannot be equipped because of...Mail of life +3?

It seems I can't equip the Ring of the Protector +2 on..well..anyone. However, it doesn't seem like any of my characters have any equipment with +2 AC. Is there some nuance I'm missing with this line from the manual:

Note: You may not equip multiple magic items that provide a similar bonus, such as two rings of protection or a ring of protection and leather armor +1.
It would seem that these don't have a similar bonus...but I guess I'm wrong? Perhaps someone could explain it to me better.

Comments

• alderich123alderich123 Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2014
    That makes sense, but the same character with Mail of LIfe +3 is able to have Kaylessa's Gloves (ac+1) and Sune Laurel's Favor (ac+1). Are gloves and helmets treated different from the ring?
  • macomeaumacomeau Member Posts: 80
    Yeah, the note makes it sound a lot broader than my experience. It's basically just, "You can have magical armor, or a Ring of Protection, or a Cloak of Protection."

Pretty much everything else stacks, though there are a couple of other similar cloaks/rings that conflict too. The Rings of Resistance, I think. And a couple of other cloaks that offer similar protection. Things that effect THAC0/damage/health, et cetera, all stack.

There's also one AC bonus cloak that is specifically allowed to pair with other magical gear. It says so directly in its description. I think it comes in either Heart of Winter or Trials of the Luremaster.
    alderich123
  • alderich123alderich123 Member Posts: 14
    Ahh, gotcha. Yes, that would have been a much more helpful note haha. Thanks!