Skip to content

"Unconscious" ????

There is an effect in IWD:EE called "unconscious" triggered by various spells/traps/etc. Shouldn't this be affected by racial sleep resistances? Because it obviously isn't... All my elven party members drop like flies to this effect.

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    When my priest casts command spell on an elven member she gets 'unaffected by the effects of' line most of the time. Do note that it is not total immunity but %90 resistance for elves, and a measly %30 for half-elves. Maybe you are just getting unlucky rolls.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    edited November 2014
    No, definitely not getting unlucky rolls ;D

3 out of 4 party members are pure elves. You would have to be incredibly unlucky for all 3 of them to miss a 90% chance repeatedly.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Sleep is functionally different from Unconscious. When a character is asleep and gets hit, they wake up; when they're unconscious, they do not. It's a separate effect, and as such should be affected by separate resistances.
    True, however I don't remember this effect ever being in any of the D&D games I've played before aside from cutscenes or dream sequences. Is it something introduced by Beamdog or just exclusive to IWD1?
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited November 2014

Sleep is functionally different from Unconscious. When a character is asleep and gets hit, they wake up; when they're unconscious, they do not. It's a separate effect, and as such should be affected by separate resistances.

Actually, there's no Unconscious effect. The effect you describe is a Sleep effect with a no wake on hit parameter.
    But, there's a difference still. The spells associated with Unconscious (as an idea) do not give resistance to Sleep resistant creatures (Cloudkill for example), whereas those associated with Sleep (like Sleep) do.
    Yes, the resistance is given by the spells themselves.
    So that answers the OP's question I hope.
    Yes, I guess that answers the question. Still sounds pretty damn fishy to me...
    MrGoodkat said:

Yes, I guess that answers the question. Still sounds pretty damn fishy to me...

I admit it's not very intuitive.
    Sleep resistance is actually not that useful.
    @Abel: So it's as I described except for the name? :P Seems like functionality matches what I said. Oh well, tomahto/tomeyto.
    @Lord_Tansheron‌ Yes, it's just weirdly implemented :)
    Once you start looking under the hood, all manner of weird creatures come scuttling out...
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Gotta thump the hood to dislodge the squirrels before starting =-p
  • GrabtharsHammerGrabtharsHammer Member Posts: 27
    This is really embarrassing to admit, but one of my toons lost a substantial amount of time at the pub in Kuldahar.

There are certain combos that should be avoided, but they can't recall all the details right now.

What is known is that one should avoid mixing Cormyran Brandy and Luskan Stout with... um...
    Several other things.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    It might be interesting to note that 'Command', isn't actually putting anyone to sleep. The default 'Command' word used is 'Die'. Since the magic isn't powerful enough to actually kill someone, the effect convinces the person that they are dead and they fall into an unconscious state and think that they are dead, up until they realize that they are still breathing, and then they get up and start acting as normal.

As far as I know Sleep SPELL should hit on a 90% resistance for elves.