Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

custom spell progression? limiting strength percentile?

marcosmarcos Member Posts: 65
I'm trying to make a kit, and I'm wondering if it's possible to assign a custom spell progression that doesn't affect the parent class. If so, how?

Also, I'm wondering if and how it's possible to limit a fighter's strength to 18 with no percentile.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or direction.

Comments

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 11,466
    edited November 2014
    The easiest thing to do to modify spells is to give a kit more spells than the base class; you just use the base table and apply bonuses here and there. I don't think you can actually assign a whole new table.

Giving a kit *fewer* spells is hard; most methods result bugs to a greater or lesser extent. My personal solution is to reduce the spells in the base table, and then give bonus spells to every kit *except* the new one, so the new kit is effectively penalized. But that introduces more problems, because you have to assume a player will use other kit mods that you don't even know about. I have a solution for that, you are welcome to check out my .tp2 code.

On STR: do you mean a new fighter kit? I don't think it's possible.

If you mean for all fighters, that's simple: just edit STRMODEX.2da so that the percentile scores don't give any bonuses over plain 18. (Probably also want to edit the bonuses for 19+ so the progression becomes smoother.)

• marcosmarcos Member Posts: 65

you just use the base table and apply bonuses here and there. I don't think you can actually assign a whole new table.

Thanks--how do I do this?

What I want to do: Create a ranger kit with a more robust number of spell slots--starting earlier, going all the way to level 7. The trade off--strength and constitution. Think of it as a Druid Avenger kit for Rangers.

marcos said:

Think of it as a Druid Avenger kit for Rangers.

Ha ha, I already made that! Sort of.

The other thing you can't do, *I think*, is add access to new spell levels. There is a spell effect opcode to add more spells to cast, but it only work if you already have one.

For instance, long ago I tried to give bards an HLA to get a 7th level spell to cast. It wouldn't work. I added an extra column to their spell table, with all zeros, but the HLA still wouldn't work. Finally I gave them one level 7 spell to cast at 20th level; after that, they could use the HLA to go from one spell slot to two, and from two to three, etc.

So to do this stuff you need to alter the ranger's spell table itself, and give all rangers one spell of each level. Which I think you don't want to do.

So I have two suggestions:
    1) if this character can cast all those druid spells, up to level 7, why not just make it s druid kit?

2) If you only mean to give it one or two of those high-level spells, probably best to just pick some and give them to the ranger as innate abilities. (Just be aware, 7th level spells are a far greater kit ability than any kit has. It would need some seriously hefty penalties to balance it!)

• marcosmarcos Member Posts: 65
    Yeah, I tried the seventh-level column of zeroes + opcode in the CLAB file last night with no success.

I guess I could make it a druid kit--it'll take some adjusting, I had my heart set on "ranger." If I were to do that, I'd like to get rid of the wisdom bonus for spells--any way to do that? Probably not, ha ha.

Ha ha, well, (you can probably predict the answer) you can get rid of the WIS bonus for all priests, just edit MXSPLWIS.2da. But you can't do it for one kit only.