Skip to content

Level scaling

I tried to find some information on level scaling in Baldur's Gate games and I had troubles with it. My current research shows that:

- Level scaling is done through changing encounters enemy makeup - that is different group of enemies spawn depending on the level, however individual enemies do not change.

- I've read one opinion (in my other topic on less broad scaling topic) that it's based on experience gathered

- Internet seems to think that vanilla BG didn't have anything like that, however with mods merging it onto BGII engine that changed.

That is something to go on, but is something more known? More precisely:
- Is the information above correct?
- Is it implemented in BG:EE?
- If it's based on experience, than whose? Top party experience (that is main_char)? Average? Sum?
- Are there well defined experience transition-points that move you up a notch? Is it more complicated per-encounter decision?
- Are some locations strictly higher-level than other?
- Are some locations strictly lower-level than other (that is - they have upper-boundries)? If yes - what are they and what are the boundries?
- Which encounters should I expect to be scaled and which remain constant?

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    What I know , for sure , is:

1- In BG2 it is actually level based, not XP based ,and what counts is the protagonist's level. Therefore, your 14th level bard, which might not be the strongest party member, will often attract more powerful enemies from certain areas.

I think the scale, whenever it is implemented, is: levels 7-11/ 12-14/ 15+

2- I know that you can find it in Firkraag's dungeon, the Shade Lord's temple , The unseeing eye's lair and the Planar sphere. Most areas in the game aren't scalled .

3- Well, locations are really strictly level based, but the game tries to balance the difficulty as you reach further chapters in the game. Areas available only in chapter 4 are suppposably more difficult that those in chapter 2.

4- I don't remember any area in ToB being scalled .

5- BG1 doesn't scale difficulty according to levels, you can go after tough enemies at low levels and have a challenge, or wait until you've reached a higher level and fight fair.

6- Finally, NPC level , in BG2, is also based on your level, not XP. A 12 level rogue will often find higher level allies than a 10th level fighter.
  • DeltharisDeltharis Member Posts: 124
    @DJKajuru‌ - what about M/F/Ts than? At the same exp as lvl16 single-class character they are somewhere around 11-12 in each class. Would that mean that they have it easier?
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    No, it adjusts for the fact its a dual/multi-class, but not sure how. I think it is full levels of the higher class and a fraction of the lower class, however it may just be one class (higher or lower) multiplied by 1.5 or something.