Skip to content

Strongholds Question

Hi folks. I'm playing through BG1EE at the moment with a multiclass Fighter/Mage and plan to carry them into BG2EE.

I've played through the series before but it was years ago, so I'm struggling to remember what happens with Strongholds in BG2 for multiclass characters. Would I get both (doubt it), or maybe I get whichever I encounter first? Or does the game make an arbitrary decision for you?

Thanks

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    If I'm remembering correctly, you get the opportunity for both, but you can only take one. So if you want the second one, you have to refuse the first.

Personally, I'd be inclined to go with the fighter stronghold, between the two. I find it more interesting.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    You get whichever one you accept first.
  • headn00bheadn00b Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! I had a feeling there was a conversation where you could decline to take on a Stronghold, but wasn't sure.

I remember the mage stronghold being the more interesting one at the time, but my memory is pretty fuzzy. What do other people think generally about the fighter & mage storngholds?
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    There are a number of mods that allow you to take more than one stronghold if you're so inclined...

Given a choice between the two, the Keep probably has a more interesting story...
    Against that, the Sphere gives you the ability to get a few unique items... The AC3 Robes of the Apprenti are nice for a F/M (although you'd probably be better with spells and the Archmagi/Vecna robes). The Ring of Wizardry is awesome however.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    The Ring of Wizardry is good, but there's another one, and you only have so many fingers (two, apparently, and there's no shortage of good rings). You may have to have Jaheira to get it, though, since one mage ring shows up in her quest. The Robe of the Apprenti is, imo, a poor choice compared to the Robe of Vecna for a f/m, because 2 points of AC are not worth 4 points of casting time.