Skip to content

Another Stupid Question on Dual-Classing

Ok, I, for the first time, am going to play a Dual-Class Main Character. Specifically, I was thinking a doing a Berserker/Mage. Now my question is on Proficiencies. After my character regains their fighter abilities, will they regain the ability to gain Grand Mastery in a new weapon class, or or can they only reach specialized from now on? Thanks for and answers, and bye for now.

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    There are no stupid questions about dual-classing. It's confusing. You're allowed to be confused.

Now, to answer the question, you'll regain the ability to grandmaster. Although recall that mages get proficiencies at roughly the speed pandas breed.
  • deathgeonousdeathgeonous Member Posts: 64
    Cool, I thought it'd be no, but since everything I've read on it say's nothing either way other than to Dual at level 9 so that you have a weapon category that's already Grand Mastered, I thought I'd ask anyways, and now I'm glad I did. That said, I think I'll Dual at level 13, just for the second half attack that fighters get, allowing me three attacks with a Grand Mastered Weapon. I'll still wind up a level 28 Mage if I hit the XP cap doing that.
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    13 is kind of long you can do it after 7. you can get extra attacks from dual wielding a +APR off hand weapon. Create a character drop 2 pips in longswords and 2 into two weapons style.

Now when your dual class your pips go away to the first class is reactivated. You can stack pips. For instances you have 2 pips in dagger as fighter. Dual to mage. Put 1 pip into dagger. When fighter reactivates you wont have 3 pips in dagger just 2.

Level 13 you wont be dualing over to Mage until Bg2. You can hit Level 7 as fighter dual to mage in Bg2 and reactivate fighter last part of game.

You don't have to worry about Thaco. You will be using Tensers for that. Offhand speed weapon plus GM and party buffs you should be max attack or damn close to it.

But if you have the will and patience you can do 13. Drives me mental waiting that long. The faster you level you mage the better. You want level 9 spells as fast as possible for Black Blade of Disaster!
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Jarrakul said:

Although recall that mages get proficiencies at roughly the speed pandas breed.

Also keep in mind that you will only be able to put points into weapons that Mages can use.

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Belanos said:

Jarrakul said:

Although recall that mages get proficiencies at roughly the speed pandas breed.

Also keep in mind that you will only be able to put points into weapons that Mages can use.

Once a fighter->mage regains his/her fighter levels, they can put points in any weapon type.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Except for clerics and druids of course, but i guess that's beside the point since it's also true with multiclassing (and also who would ever dual-class from a druid or a cleric ?). But yeah, those are stuck with crushing weapons/scimitars and clubs for their whole life.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    TJ_Hooker said:

Once a fighter->mage regains his/her fighter levels, they can put points in any weapon type.

I wasn't aware of that. So far I've only dualed a Cleric and Druid. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Hmm, the Level 7 idea you present jimmysdabestcop has some merit. I'd end BGI as a level 7 fighter and level 8 mage, if I hit the XP cap, or close enough to it to not matter, and then I could actually start off BG II as an established Fighter/Mage. Sure , I'd only have at most High Mastery in a weapon, or Mastery if I Dual Wield, but as said, I can now up them at a speed slightly slower than molasses. Another downside is in the missing of 20+ConX2 worth of HP, and also the previously stated 1 attack, but having the Mage Spells so much earlier just might be worth it. Now I have to go and run the idea through my head and see if it's truly worth doing it, but thanks for the idea, for it is quite sound.
    Did some planning. If I do Dual at Level 7, Proficiency wise I could end up like this, Grand Mastery in Two-Handed Swords, High Mastery in Flails, Proficient in Quarterstaves, and 2 Points in Two-Handed Weapon Style. Not bad. Add in the Mage Buffing Spells, and I've gotta beast here. And yes I know, I'm not Dual-Wielding, But I like me Two-Handed Swords. And Anyways, Dual-Wielding made me lose out on like 2 Points. I would have only been Specialized in Flails, and have to take another proficiency in another mage weapon, like daggers or slings. Anywho, thanks for the advice again jimmysdabestcop, I think I'll go with this idea.
  • BronteijnBronteijn Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    So did anyone finally mange to make multiple multi-class kits?

This :

https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21932/multi-kit-possibilities-its-not-just-possible-it-already-exist-yes-you-read-right

allowed me to add the wildmage kit to my fighter/mage/thief since EEkeeper was being rude, but I tried to make a wizard slayer/wild mage/ bounty hunter and nope after 14 years BG still doesn't want me to have my cake. I tried to combine the binary values, but only wild mage appears on the character menu, and if I combine the 3 then it's back to f/m/t

The binary values i used :

wizardslayer --00000000-00000000-00000010-00000000
    wild mage ----00000000-10000000-00000000-00000000
    bountyhunter -00001000-00000000-00000000-00000000

cake ---------00001000 10000000 00000010 00000000

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Bronteijn‌ use the Multi-kit mod instead. It doesn't fully work with the EEs but it should work well if you don't choose a multi-class with Thieving skills.