Skip to content

[IWD:EE] Set Stoutward as Static Treasure

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
edited November 2014 in Feature Requests
Since you can upgrade Stoutward later, I find it silly (and possibly frustrating) that its on a random treasure table. How about setting it as static treasure, and then moving the other possible items off of Uligar and placing them elsewhere (for example, the wand of trap detection could fit in a box somewhere, etc.)

Just an idea.

Comments

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    You can upgrade it due to a mod. Item Upgrade.
    I'd say no to the idea of not being randomized. IWD EE needs more randomization, not less. For no randomization my suggestion would BG1&2.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2014
    It's not just a mod anymore I thought -- it was added into EE. In any case I agree with you - I also like item randomization. That said, there are other static drops in IWD and I don't think the random treasure concept would be compromised by one change.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    yea, not a mod anymore. you're right, it needs to become static now.
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    I agree - newer players may be dissapointed
    Melicamp said:

New players nowadays seem disappointed that solving quests in Easthaven earns them no achievements.

Are you telling me they will be disappointed because they got a flute that grants them bless spell instead of a shield which does not provides them with missile protection?

Redrake said:

Melicamp said:

New players nowadays seem disappointed that solving quests in Easthaven earns them no achievements.

Are you telling me they will be disappointed because they got a flute that grants them bless spell instead of a shield which does not provides them with missile protection?

They won't be upset about that, but possibly on missing out on the upgraded item which requires the lower end shield. It's one of the better shields in the game.
    I beg to differ. One of the things that make IWD great is its replayability. By keeping even upgradable items randomized you are in effect supporting new players to play the game again with new parties, new items and new ways to approach the adventure. Obviously, plenty of people are just interested to play the game again and again with the same characters and "they must" have great armor that allows them to shoot fireballs every minute and keep your party immune to fire. (this is an ironic comment, no such item exists and I hope no one thinks of creating it).
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    but it's the only random upgradable item in any of the ie games. getting stuff to upgrade and locating people to do it has a storytelling weight to it, it's not just some dispensable loot.
    randomly not being able to have this rewarding moment in a playthrough feels unnecessarily grievous. i've always seen upgrades as a sort of a benchmark of your progress in soa and tob.
  • molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
    I think, the question is, if there is any indication later on that you could upgrade this shield, if you actually haven't found it and can't find it anymore. If yes, then finding it shouldn't be random, otherwise it doesn't matter.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    molloy said:

I think, the question is, if there is any indication later on that you could upgrade this shield, if you actually haven't found it and can't find it anymore. If yes, then finding it shouldn't be random, otherwise it doesn't matter.

The item needed for Stoutward's upgrade only becomes available if Stoutward was the random drop.

I'm in agreement with @Redrake‌ here. Randomization is fundamental to the IWD experience, and we really shouldn't be taking steps away from it.

CamDawg said:

molloy said:

The item needed for Stoutward's upgrade only becomes available if Stoutward was the random drop.

I'm in agreement with @Redrake‌ here. Randomization is fundamental to the IWD experience, and we really shouldn't be taking steps away from it.

Well that makes sense. I assumed it dropped everytime.