Skip to content

Frustration with dual class

So, I'm currently playing a Shadowdancer->Fighter. Just got to level 5, which gets my stealth in perfect levels, gets me a backstab modifier and shadow step. That's the coolest level in Shadowdancer, I think!

...but I have to dual to Fighter now, which means I won't use any of those stuff for a loooooong time. ^^

Have you guys ever felt similarly frustrated by dual classing?

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Nope, because it becomes awesomesauceness in Shadows of Amn!
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited November 2014
    That's why I sometimes take for granted when people post on this forum "why don't you dual your character at level 13?" - even though he might get powerful , there might be some frustration in having a weaker , low to medium level character through a large portion of the game.

Dualing at level 4 or 5 offers less advantages on the longer road, but it dramatically decreases your "waiting time" .

Dual your characters to make them more interesting . BG and BG2 aren't difficult to the point of needing tremendously powerful class combinations.

Another tip is to dual your 7-9 level character right at the begining of SoA , since it won't take more than one or two stronghold quests to reach the necessary experience.
    JuliusBorisov
  • true_shinkentrue_shinken Member Posts: 84
    I would do that, DJKajuru, but Thief->Fighter is a tough cookie since Fighter takes more XP than thief to level up. I think I'm going to love playing this character as soon as the waiting ends. It doesn't suck nearly so bad in BG2, but it takes foreeeeever in BG1. ^^
    DJKajuru
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I definitely agree. Dual-classing is really annoying. It also pays off hugely, but in the meantime it's annoying. Basically, it's a matter of deciding when you'd like to be weakest.
  • macomeaumacomeau Member Posts: 80
    Dual classing is better (read: less frustrating) in Icewind Dale. It benefits from being one game/story that goes start to finish from level 1 to 30. The breakup between Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 comes at almost exactly the wrong place for dual classing. I dual class like a mofo in Icewind Dale. I pretty much exclusively multi-class in Baldur's Gate.

The least annoying way to dual is probably to switch classes soon after starting BG2, maybe even artificially limiting your XP in the first game (skipping some optional quests or not picking avoidable fights, for example). It gives you a better experience to play through the first game in one class, rather than play most of it as one class and then either finish as a weak dual class or wander the wilderness late in the game looking for XP for one member of your party.