Skip to content

Shadow dancer in boss fights

Without traps (spike, timestop, etc), and against backstab immune bosses, what can a shadow dancer contribute besides UAI tricks?

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    He has unique HLAs. Shadow twin and shadow form are cool tricks. And can use shadow step for tactical positioning and wait for enemy spells to expire.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Shadow Maze is quite awesome too, if u can make it hit.
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    Interesting. I wanted to solo a shadowdancer through the saga but I couldn't figure out exactly what to do.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014

Interesting. I wanted to solo a shadowdancer through the saga but I couldn't figure out exactly what to do.

Pre-HLA's: Backstab, run, hide. Backstab, run, and hide (occasionally use Shadow Step as needed). This is probably going to prove to be the safest strategy. You can also use ranged weapons as well (which is what I've been doing a lot in my solo shadowdancer run of BGEE). Your ability to hide in plain sight is pretty handy against most of the games casters, but otherwise until you get UAI there is only so much you can do.

Post-HLA's: UAI + Shadow Twin + Vhailor's Helm + scrolls = win? (the enemies ability in ToB to see you when you are invisible is going to suck). The ability to have both a Shadow Twin and a Simulacrum (through Vhailor's Helm) active at the same time is probably your best bet here. Since they can both cast from scrolls (and therefore won't use all the real ones up quickly).
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    elminster said:

Pre-HLA's: Backstab, run, hide. Backstab, run, and hide (occasionally use Shadow Step as needed). This is probably going to prove to be the safest strategy. You can also use ranged weapons as well (which is what I've been doing a lot in my solo shadowdancer run of BGEE). Your ability to hide in plain sight is pretty handy against most of the games casters, but otherwise until you get UAI there is only so much you can do.

Post-HLA's: UAI + Shadow Twin + Vhailor's Helm + scrolls = win? (the enemies ability in ToB to see you when you are invisible is going to suck). The ability to have both a Shadow Twin and a Simulacrum (through Vhailor's Helm) active at the same time is probably your best bet here. Since they can both cast from scrolls (and therefore won't use all the real ones up quickly).
    So you can use all kinds of dirty tricks like Time stop+shapechange into mind flayer+eat their brains via scrolls and simulacrum/shadow twin? Can simulacrums or shadow twin use scrolls, in my game they appear blocked but I guess it is from a mod.
    edited December 2014
    lunar said:

elminster said:

So you can use all kinds of dirty tricks like Time stop+shapechange into mind flayer+eat their brains via scrolls and simulacrum/shadow twin? Can simulacrums or shadow twin use scrolls, in my game they appear blocked but I guess it is from a mod.
    Yep they can use scrolls, wands, whatever. As long as they are aren't clones of clones anyways (meaning you can have two of them doing casting from scrolls at any one time).
    edited December 2014
    Ok but what if I don't want to do simulacrum cheese to keep my scrolls, and the bosses are immune to backstab?

(I consider it cheese at least. Maybe it's legal in PnP, but I never played PnP, and it seems like it would be frowned on)
    edited December 2014

Ok but what if I don't want to do simulacrum cheese to keep my scrolls, and the bosses are immune to backstab?

If you want to play without cheese then play through the game with a limited number of scrolls and use them as needed.

It also means your shadow twin/simulacrum probably shouldn't be using any of your HLA's. Since that is cheesy too.

You also probably shouldn't hide in sight right when enemies has started to cast a spell at you. Since that is cheesy as well.

Good luck? :)
    Ok, scrolls of shapechange it is then