Skip to content

BG:EE First time player looking for group

SerShadakSerShadak Member Posts: 2
Hey everyone, i'm a EST. player looking for a group to play with. I'm available to play anytime after 4pm everyday. This is my first time playing this game so new and veteran players are definitely welcome! :)

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited December 2014
    Heya, welcome to the forum. I guess everyone is busy with IWD:EE now!

A word of advice. In my opinion Baldur's Gate is at its core a single player game, and a first play through is best enjoyed without the interference of walkthroughs and other players. My big three reasons are:

1) It is very much about your journey and your adventure. If you have other players, especially more experienced ones, you will end up getting carried by them cos they already know where to go, what to do, and you lose much of the wonder of discovery.

2) The game is pretty difficult to begin with and the difficulty of coordinating a party with other players can make things really tricky. I love this game, and enjoy playing it multiplayer, but I can objectively say that multiplayer controls are kinda awkward. I have lost count the number of times I have Webbed or Fireballed my companions in my ongoing multiplayer game (ongoing for over a year now!).

3) Other players will likely want to bring their own characters. That means you will miss out on the NPC party members that are a big reason why this game has such enduring appeal.

Once you've done your first playthrough, by all means try to gather a multiplayer group together. It might take some time, but it's certainly possible. As I said, my multiplayer game was organised via this forum, it's still going strong after more than a year. :)

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/27270/the-bhaalspawn-journals-roleplaying-multiplayer-game/p1
    wubbleJuliusBorisovChildofBhaal599CrevsDaak
  • SerShadakSerShadak Member Posts: 2
    Hi! Thanks for the advice! I sat down and gave the single player some more of my time, I made it thru the mines a while ago. I've been exploring the area since. I think i'll finish it within the week. Hopefully I can get a multiplayer game going after! I'm trying to make new friends with similar interests :P never thought it'd be hard to find gamers haha
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261
    I'd be happy to play with you.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    SerShadak said:

Hi! Thanks for the advice! I sat down and gave the single player some more of my time, I made it thru the mines a while ago. I've been exploring the area since. I think i'll finish it within the week. Hopefully I can get a multiplayer game going after! I'm trying to make new friends with similar interests :P never thought it'd be hard to find gamers haha

believe me, it'll take longer than a week from the mines for a proper playthrough! i recommend you take your time and explore all the areas and do quests that you find that fit your character. there is a lot to do in BG, and I think even when I have time to sit down and just play for hours my playthroughs still go over a week. I also would recommend you to play BG2 before getting a MP game together. i am with heindrich in his game and we went from BG1 to BG2, so if you get a long term group you will find his advice to still fit BG2. after you have played both games I absolutely recommend you try an MP game. it is fun to do it as an RP game where you all talk to each other in character as a party. it feels like the others are my extremely detailed companion cast that always wants to put a word in at random point, and I feel like I am not limited to the dialogue written by the game to interact with them. however the single player is good for many playthroughs with it's own companions, and I recommend you play it first in both games.
    wubbleCrevsDaak