Skip to content

Trials of the Luremaster - Spectral Guards on hard are WAY OP!

FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
These turds come out of nowhere in droves and seem to ignore my ac and protective spells. I've never been able to kill more than like 6 without them killing my priest, and I think there's at least 12 in the area I'm at, but if you tab to highlight them it only shows like 4-6 at any one time. I think it has to be a bug. I've tried for 3 days to get through this section and I do fine until they always spawn more, so I must be doing something wrong. This is by far the hardest part of the game so far.

My party consists of lvl 13 Cavalier, 13 Berserker, 15 Assassin, 12 Priest, 13 Archer, 12 Dragon Disciple
DjimmyHudzybooinyoureyes

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Entropic Shield on your priest will help.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Isn't fighting them (mostly?) optional?
  • FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
    nope, as soon as ya try to go up the stairs they aggro you. Unless, someone knows something I don't know. I think its possible to lower the difficulty for the fight, but I haven't tried that yet. Right now it's redonkulous. They seem to have a fair bit over 100 hp each too. I've hit them with 2 sun stones for ~26 dmg ea, a +2 arrow, +2 bolt, magic missile x 4, and my enraged berserker with 19 strength and they're still only badly damaged or near death for about 30 seconds before they die. When you have 10 on ya at once you can't even use like a fireball cause you friendly fire.
    I've only done that area once on HoF. I think I was around level 15. From what I remember I didn't have any particular issues though I had to be careful to make sure I was fully buffed.

If you buff with prot evil 10ft and defensive harmony and then fight them in the hall and stack recitation, prayer, slow and curse you might be able to make them start missing if you have a good AC on your primary tank (effective -17 worked for me on HoF I think when I was around level 15).

If you have protection from fire spell you should be able to still throw fireballs around. Your cleric at least should be able to cast it. The debuffs above mostly affect saves too so spells will start working better so drop webs and fireballs.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    you should be able to get improved haste and accumulate some damage resistance before getting to them. that's key to making easy work of them on levels even lower than yours.
    bob_veng said:

you should be able to get improved haste and accumulate some damage resistance before getting to them. that's key to making easy work of them on levels even lower than yours.

That's not very helpful for the OP in his probable situation.
    well there's not much else to say. haste, protect from damage any way you can and hack away. they aren't that hard. the kitchen is the worst by far...that can be avoided i think.
    bob_veng said:

well there's not much else to say. haste, protect from damage any way you can and hack away. they aren't that hard. the kitchen is the worst by far...that can be avoided i think.

I found the fight up the stairs with the kitties to be harder by far though maybe it's different on non-HoF.
    atcDave said:

I would second the "Protection from Fire" then Fireball your own position tactic. I unloaded five fireballs in short order and made short work of the Knights.

More conventional tactics will lead to much frustration!

I don't see this as unconventional ...
    CrevsDaak
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Whatever
    jackjackkensaielminsterDjimmy
    thx for the tips. I'll make another go at it. I took a night off.
    jackjackatcDave
    by the way does anyone know a good place to learn which magical items allow you to mix and match since sometimes it won't allow you to equip some things because of the items you're currently wearing. I feel like most of the time I'm just guessing.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    use the meatshield tactic....summon summon and summon again before you pull the mobs, let them take the agro and hits while you dps from range.
    well I managed to do it finally after about 80 attempts. I got lucky only about 7-8 came at me. My only issue is I lost my elven assassin, and raise dead doesn't work on elves. Anyone know another way to rez him? I tried using my bishop artifact i found, but he only heals. I don't know of any temples in this part of the game so I don't know what to do since I can't go back.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Resurrect spell works on elves @FalkonSwiftblade‌
    atcDaveCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    no friend, it specifically states this spell does not work on elves. Unless druids get a rez spell, but my priest spell and it's scrolls say it won't work on elves.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Aggro them through some doorway so you're only fighting one or two at a time. I played on Core difficulty and my tank had maybe -14 or -17 AC. Use everything you can to boost AC and get a lot of healing spells. If you can tank the hits it's just a matter of time.
    is there a higher level resurrection spell besides the level 5 one? Maybe I haven't learnt it yet.

Zeckul, in fact the way I did beat them last time was to do something like that. I would have actually probably not died at all, but I used the wrong spell by my mage and she killed a few of my team and the enemies were resistant to the spell.

no friend, it specifically states this spell does not work on elves. Unless druids get a rez spell, but my priest spell and it's scrolls say it won't work on elves.

Raise Dead is a level 5 spell that doesn't work on elves. Resurrection is a level 7 spell that does work on elves (and is maybe only castable by good clerics).
    ShikaoJuliusBorisov
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Wowo said:

Raise Dead is a level 5 spell that doesn't work on elves. Resurrection is a level 7 spell that does work on elves (and is maybe only castable by good clerics).

According to @bengoshi's comment Resurrection indeed can be only casted by Good Clerics.
    JuliusBorisov
    Shikao said:

Wowo said:

According to @bengoshi's comment Resurrection indeed can be only casted by Good Clerics.
    That ends up a bit restrictive on party composition unless you reload every time your elf dies if your cleric happens to be neutral or evil.
    Shikao
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Cast "Greater Malison"(and/or other saving throw lowering spells) and spam "Control Undead" spells. Once you get one of the guards the other will focus and kill him. Try to control as much as possible. Then cast invisibility(mass) and go back to the half-ling to rest. Then repeat.
    Shikao
    I just leveled up and can finally use level 7 spells on my priest. I'm much further now. thanks for the tips. I think the best method was to fight them in the doorways and fight ranged behind them.
    JuliusBorisovCluasmf2112
  • WeenogWeenog Member Posts: 5
    My shadowdancer used hide in plain sight and blocked a narrow doorway so nobody came through. Then one of my fighters used a spear to poke them out of harms way while the casters supported with FoD/disintegrate. I realize this is a cheap tactic, but kept me safe at least :smiley:
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    These guys definetly caused me the most trouble during this playthrough.

I ended up summoning a bunch of demi shadows, Wyvrens and elemental, blocking the pathway with my barbarian with a druid in the back with heals stocked up, druid casting spikes AoE and other fancy spells between heals, sorceror casting fireballs etc, bard singing strongheart song, and an archer and theif pelting them with arrows.

This was the first time I've really struggled by not having a full playe mail tank leading the charge. Spectral guards would take my 19 con barbarians health down fast and it was a struggle sometimes to decide between sunscorching a near dead enemy or casting another lengthy heal. Throw in all the additional buffs and I eventually got
    Passed it after jumerous reloads. The
    Realy problem is there is somdamn many of them that come from nowhere and they hit hard. Tge Rakasha fight afterwards was actually alot easier for me.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Have a druid in the party, make sure the druid is 15th level or higher, give the druid one of the following items: Bone Marrow Belt, Studded Leather of Resistance +3, or Shadowed Studded Leather +4. Once the druid shapechanges into water elemental form they will be 100% resistant to slashing attacks, making the spectral guards a minor annoyance, at best--you will have to sit there while the druid kills them all without any help. Even if the druid isn't that high level, Bone Marrow Belt + Boring Beetle form = 100% slashing resistance.

You would be amazed how easy HoF mode becomes when you have someone who is invulnerable to whatever is attacking them.
    bleusteel
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    atcDavedok0zhivago
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    When I went through ToL, my party cleric was high enough level to turn some of them, so I only had to fight a few at a time.

Surprised no one in this thread has mentioned that you don't have to take on all the guards at once, you can "activate" the left, central, and right guards separately, and fight them 4 at a time or so.

I enjoyed a strategic retreat to a choke point while minor summonses distract the spectral guards, then cast Wall of Moonlight at the choke point. They will be damaged as they reach you, and your (fully buffed, of course) party can take them on 2 at a time. You'll take some lumps but you should get through.

on insane and in hof, additional guards appear. they spawn behind your back, when you step on the stairs so they number at least six i think.