Skip to content

Ael'letec Trouble

So, I'm taking on the demon that the cult in Ulgoth's Beard summons. Handle things well enough, my guys can kill him and his cultists.

The problem is that without fail, one of my party members will randomly die and a ghoul will spawn. No warning, no effect by the demon in the log. Just bam, dead guy and now a ghoul's there.

So, what's up with that?

Comments

• CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    I believe that is Aec'Letec's Death Gaze. I think this can be prevented with potion of mirrored eyes, and I'm sure other methods (wiz spell protection from petrification?) There may be a cleric spell that can prevent it too, but the name is escaping me at the moment (death ward?) Sorry, it's been a while since I've fought him.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Dispel magic works as well. If you notice the, for lack of a better term, squiggly line effect on a character portrait, cast dispel magic on the afflicted character. You have some time, but not a lot.

I'll never forget the first time I beat that a-hole. The first opportunity, to the millisecond, that I was able to save I hit the quick save button. About one second later my charname popped. What a mofo...
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    See this topic for some discussion of this issue: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/37827/grrrr-arrrrgh

I'll also quote myself from that thread, because, well, I stand by it.
    Jarrakul said:

Oh, hey, someone asking questions about a boss I have down to a science. Okay, beating Aec'Latec the easy way requires three things: a pair of potions of magic projection (or substitute one potion of magic shielding and some healing potions), boots of speed (or substitute a potion of speed), and any magical ranged weapon. Dump all that on a warrior, drink the antimagic potions, send them down alone, and kite like your life depends on it (it does). Kill the mage first, then the guards, then Aec'Latec. You shouldn't ever take damage unless you use the potion of magic shielding substitution, and even then you'll take it slowly. If your ranged weapon of choice isn't the returning throwing axe, it's probably best not to waste magic ammo on the guards.

If you have a good archer who can also use wands of fire, the scorcher function can expedite the guard-killing stage of the battle immensely. It's not at all necessary, though.

• Yup, I totally missed that gaze attack. I'm also really glad I had Yeslick along; his super-fast dispel saved Neera from a fate worse than death. Anyway, the demon is banished, and Ulgoth's Beard is saved. Hi-fives all around!