Skip to content

The Necrosorcerer: Build Ideas

ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
So what do I mean by a "Necrosorcerer"? Well, I mean a sorcerer who's naturally gifted at necromancy, learning to master it fully. This means choosing necromancy spells first upon gaining new spell options, trying to take spells that support a necromancer theme, such as Melf's Acid Arrow, and not taking spells that contradict the necromancer class. (so no illusion spells) I prefer not to play mages, so I don't know the spells that well, so I was hoping for some assistance.

First of all, the character design I have in mind:

Name: Cyrix (not only do I think the name works, it's also amusingly similar to Cyric, the god who currently holds Bhaal's throne)

Male Half-elf (Because only humans can be necromancers, yet I want the character to use the dark-haired elf portrait that was made for BG2:EE)

Edit 1: (In BG1 He's using Xan's portrait, as I neither plan to include Xan in my team, nor do I think the transition of portraits is TOO extreme. I am using the ipad version, so custom portraits aren't really an option)

Chaotic Good (He's a good character, but society distrusts and dislikes him because of his necromantic prowess. He's also very spontaneous and light-hearted, being a bit "chaotic", even without society's opinion of him)

Abilities:
STR: 15 (He's no weakling, though he fights with nothing more than a dagger or sling, and only as a last resort)
DEX: 18 (He's light, agile, and has obvious elven ancestors, not only in appearance, but also in abilities)
CON: 15 (He's healthy, and could even be called somewhat hardy, though not overly so)
INT: 16 (He's incredibly intelligent, but he's no unrivaled genius) (Will I need to increase this further so as to gain higher spell levels? Even if I do, 16 SHOULD be enough as long as I use the stat increases in BG1 and 2, right?)
WIS: 10 (He's of average wisdom. This will increase throughout his journey, just as he learns more of the world)
CHA: 13 (He's likable, but no smooth talker. His elven heritage aids in this)

Spell List: (as people make suggestions and help me create this character I'll edit this post to add more spells)

Edit 2: Updated spell list. Still need suggestions for three level 1 spells, two level 2 spells, one level 3 spell, one level 4 spell, one level 6 spell, and one level 7 spell.

Level 1: Chill Touch, Larloch's Minor Drain, ?, ?, ?

Level 2: Ghoul Touch, Horror, Melf's Acid Arrow, ?, ?

Level 3: Skull Trap, Hold Undead, Vampiric Touch, Ghost Armour, ?

Level 4: Contagion, Spirit Armour, Greater Malison, Emotion, ?

Level 5: Animate Dead, Cloudkill, Cone of Cold, Breach, Spell Immunity

Level 6: Death Spell, Carrion Summons, Protection from Magic Weapons, Death Fog, ?

Level 7: Control Undead, Finger of Death, Mordenkainen Sword, Spell Sequencer, ?

Level 8: Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Power Word:Blind, Pierce Shield, Symbol:Death

Level 9: Energy Drain, Wail of the Banshee, Black Blade of Disaster, Power Word: Kill

As for any party members he has, he'll probably stick to the "canon" party of BG1 (Minsc, Jaheria, Imoen, Khalid, and Dynaheir) in BG1, and the remaining members of it in BG2 (Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen) since they trust him, despite his necromantic powers. Apart from them, Yoshimo, Haer'Dalis, Jan, Sarevok, and perhaps Viconia would be a part of the team. Most of the evil NPCs are too evil for Cyrix's taste, while a lot of the good NPCs would be unlikely to trust someone who fights with necromantic magic. Feel free to prove me wrong on any account.

Edit 2: At first I thought Neera would be too unpredictable and dangerous for Cyrix's tastes, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that she'd be perfect for him, both as an ally, and as a romance. And besides, enhanced edition romances! Yay for new experiences! So his final party will probably be... (and I'll pick up and use other characters throughout the game as well)

Cyrix: Necrosorcerer (Magical DPS)
Minsc: Ranger (Off-tank and melee DPS)
Jaheira: Fighter/Druid (Tank and healer)
Haer'Dalis: Blade (Magic/melee/ranged support)
Imoen: Thief 7>Mage (Support mage and thief skills)
Neera: Wild Mage (Defensive magic and debuffer)

I kind of wish I could recruit Sarevok, but I don't know who I'd get rid of. Haer'Dalis is the obvious choice, as he is the least useful and the group needs more muscle, but I feel like Cyrix will come to be great friends with Haer'Dalis, and will be unwilling to lose him as an ally.

So yeah, I'm just requesting a bit of help from those more versed in the ways of Baldur's Gate magic than I. Maybe you'll take away something fun from this as well!
Post edited by Elrandir on
kcwiselunarShikaoStarflower2525JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited December 2014
    Necromancer Spells:
    Level 4: Contagion, Spirit Armor

Level 5: Animate Dead

Level 6: Death Spell

Level 7: Control Undead, Finger of Death

Level 8: Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting

Level 9: Energy Drain, Wail of the Banshee
    I'd think anything with a name that "sounds right" might be a good choice as well:
    Level 3: Ghost Armor (conjuration)

Level 5: Cloudkill (evocation), Phantom Blade (evocation)

Level 6: Death Fog (evocation), Carrion Summons (conjuration)

Level 8: Symbol, Death (conjuration)

Level 9: Power Word, Kill (conjuration)
    I'd include Wraithform (level 3) and Spook (Level 1), but both involve the illusion school so that probably wouldn't fit with your plans despite the names.
    ShikaoElrandirJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited December 2014
    I did a run like this while back... With a strict rule that the Necro spells had to be selected from any particular level *before* any others... It was a lot of fun, but hell early on as I had no protection and a bunch of touch range spells! Generally just spammed L's Minor Drain until the Skull Traps started flowing!

Later on, it's pretty solid, as Skelly Warriors are great summons, and Skull Trap/Death Spell/Horrid Wiltings made a mess of most mobs.
    ElrandirkcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    Huh? Custom portraits are super easy to have on Ipad. Just get Ifunbox program, acces to bg2 folder, create a portraits folder and dump appropriate portraits there. Easy as pie. Don't even need a jailbreak. I even have modded my ipad game with scs and my own custom mods, all without a jailbreak.

Seriously, modding is possible to some extent on Ipad without a jailbreak, and super easy. Custom portraits is even the easiest thing. Mayhap I should post a modding/customisation guide on Ipad for Ipad users someday.

For spell picks, lvl 4:greater malison+emotion ties in nice with necromancer build, think it as a curse and general feel bad-misery spell.

lvl 5:animate dead, cloudkill (poison!) and cone of cold (chill of the grave, does super damage at high lvls) plus breach and spell immunity for true spell mastery.

lvl 6:death spell, carrion summons, pro from magic weapons (every lich has it!)

lvl7:finger of death, mordenkainen sword (you trap a spirit to a sword, effectively giving life to it for a limited time!) spell sequencer (for awesome 3x skull trap carnage!) control undead

lvl8:Horrid wilting, pw:blind (darkness of the nether realms claim their eyesight!) pierce shield,

lvl9:time stop, wail of the banshee, chain contingency, black blade of disaster

meaglothElrandirkcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Elrandir said:

Male Half-elf (Because only humans can be necromancers, yet I want the character to use the dark-haired elf portrait that was made for BG2:EE)

Edit 1: (In BG1 He's using Xan's portrait, as I neither plan to include Xan in my team, nor do I think the transition of portraits is TOO extreme. I am using the ipad version, so custom portraits aren't really an option)

False. Custom portraits are easier on my iPad then on my desktop. Download iFunbox, open it, and place the portrait in the portrait folder.
    lunarElrandirkcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Sounds like an interesting run.
    Elrandir said:

INT: 16 (He's incredibly intelligent, but he's no unrivaled genius) (Will I need to increase this further so as to gain higher spell levels? Even if I do, 16 SHOULD be enough as long as I use the stat increases in BG1 and 2, right?)

You are good with 16 INT.
    High intelligence is important for mages for two reasons:
    -determines highest level of spells they can learn from scrolls (18 is needed for level 9)
    -determines number of spells they can have in spellbook per spell level (with 19 they can have all)
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Necromancer kit requires high wisdom (16?). This would be useful in bg2 when you get the wish spells.

Some spells will end up completely useless and you can't swap them out as a sorcerer. I'd avoid ghoul touch, chill touch and death spell at least though chill touch is decent now at low level at least.
    kcwise
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited December 2014
    @kcwise‌ Yeah, I'm ignoring all illusion spells, much as I like them. (And they seem rather necromancer-y in a lot of ways, but oh well)

@abacus‌ I'm using the same rule. It seems like it'll be a lot of fun.

@lunar‌ / @meagloth‌ That requires me to find a copy of Kieran Yanner's portrait somewhere. Apart from in game, I can't seem to find the image anywhere. (And trust me. I've tried) I don't mind too much, though. I'm not posting this game on the forums, so the portrait thing will just be for me. And I kind of like the idea of him changing over the course of his journey. (Although it is a BIT drastic)

@Shikao‌ So INT is ENTIRELY useless for sorcerers? Somewhere I thought I heard that they required INT to access higher levels of spells, just like mages. (At least in the game. I know it doesn't work like that in P&P) Was that false? 16 INT will be fine for me regardless, though, since he'll gain 18 INT through the upgrades available in game.

@Wowo‌ Yes, but this character isn't a kitted necromancer, so while I'm adhering to the necromancy spells and lack of illusion spells, I don't feel like I need to follow the Necro's stat requirements exactly. As for spells becoming useless; Tough sh** for me. Part of the rules of this play-through are that he'll gain every necromancy spell, regardless of how useless they may be. Who knows, maybe I'll find cool and unique new ways of using them.

Also, as a general note, I updated/am updating the original post to incorporate help from others, as well as my own ideas. Check there if you want to see the build's progress.
    kcwiseShikaoabacusJuliusBorisov
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Not entirely useless. Using wands and scrolls (you might not need them to scribe spells, buy you can still cast them) requires at least 9 INT if I remember correctly. In addition it will increase your lore score, so you will be able to identify more items by yourself.
    In third edition of rules, charisma is primary stat for Sorcerers and Bards and determines highest level of spells they can cast. You could have read it somewhere, in particular in topics regarding IWD2.
    Elrandirkcwise
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    If you don't mind modded kits, I recommend DarkDogg's Pale Master. I never did continue my playthrough into BG2:EE but played all of BG:EE with it and had a blast.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34803/bg-ee-evil-kits-mod-ravager-and-palemaster
    kcwiseElrandir
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Vallmyr‌ Unfortunately I'm playing on an ipad, so mods aren't an option. Thanks for the suggestion, though. =)
    kcwise
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Elrandir said:

@Vallmyr‌ Unfortunately I'm playing on an ipad, so mods aren't an option. Thanks for the suggestion, though. =)

Derp, totally read that earlier and forgot it while writing my post.
    /facepalm
    My bad XD
    ElrandirShikaokcwiseCrevsDaak