Skip to content

Need for Arcane?

Recently got the game on the iPad and enjoying it however when it comes to Irenicus and other spell users in the game (inc. ToB) do you need a spellcaster in the group to strip off the spell protections or are there other ways to strip the protections off.?

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

Recently got the game on the iPad and enjoying it however when it comes to Irenicus and other spell users in the game (inc. ToB) do you need a spellcaster in the group to strip off the spell protections or are there other ways to strip the protections off.?

There's a few options. Inquisitor kit certainly comes to mind.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Less reliable than the Inquisitor, but single class divine casters get Dispel Magic as a level 3 spell. In a smaller party of circa 4, Viconia, Cernd and Anomen should be reasonably successful at stripping enemy mages' protections.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    You can always just wait. It's not particularly heroic, though...
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    High level druids don't may not get anything to strip off spell protections, but Insect Plague and Creeping Doom take care of enemy mages all the same.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Wizard Slayer is a good kit for anti- Mage duty now that it's been a bit fixed
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Well, a single arcane caster in the party makes your team more versatile and can make it easier to accomplish your party's goal ... also think about optional but odd enemies such as Kangaxx or other (Demi-)Liches. It can be much more fun to have access to many options ... and the possibility to complete every quest you are offered.

It's no surprise that Imoen fills a double-role as Thief/Mage when she is a member of a party of five or six, where she isn't needed for fighting. My recent melee-heavy group with a Cavalier + Keldorn + Minsc + Anomen + Imoen + Jaheira->Mr.ToB didn't face any serious problems on the way to Amelyssan. Just still playing on Core difficulty setting ... actually the first time I didn't restart sometime late during ToB. This time, way too many spells, scrolls, wands and potions than I needed. And surprisingly, even in the final fights, Imoen only gave a minimum of support, and rescueing her early only gave optional access to more power. At first I had thought I would need lots of summons (devas, planetars especially) as not to be overwhelmed and maybe had chosen the wrong high level abilities, but no, four fighters storming in with Greater Whirlwind made it a matter of a few seconds only. Wow!