Skip to content

[Mods] Mac SCS Lizard Man Animation Crash

dashteacupdashteacup Member Posts: 52
edited December 2014 in Troubleshooting
I don't know if this crash is SCS' fault or the game engine's fault. The core issue seems to be that SCS alters the lizard men animation in a way that works for PCs, but crashes for Macs.

I first noticed this problem in the SCS thread. I determined that the Improved Abazigal component of that mod caused game crashes and simply decided to skip it. More recently, I heard that some people have been offering unofficial fixes to SCS bugs. I added the fixes to my most recent playthrough and tried out the Improved Abazigal component again. Unfortunately, it still crashed my game, but this time I did some more research why, starting here:

With some experimentation and aid from others, I managed to isolate the problem to a single line of code in the file abazigal_enclave.tpa, line 32. Line 32 reads:
MAKE_BIFF dw#liza BEGIN ~%scsroot%/%component_loc%/animations~ ~.*\.bam~ END
It appears to add a bif containing new animations for lizard men. If I remove that line before installing SCS, my lizard men no longer cause crashes. But that line appears to work fine for PCs, why?

I attached a crash report, which looks very similar to the one posted here. To reproduce the crash 100% of the time make the following steps:
Restore a clean install of bg2ee 1.2
Install SCSv28 components 1000, 5900, 8180 (I use setup-stratagems --force-install-list 1000 5900 8180)
Create a new game with Abdel (I do ToB so I don't have to hear Irenicus yammer)
C:CreateCreature("bazliz03") -> *crash*
or
C:CreateCreature("icliz01") -> *crash*
or
C:MoveToArea("ar0420") -> *crash* (the lizard room in the planar sphere)
or
C:MoveToArea("ar6001") -> *crash* (SCS adds lizard men there)
or
C:MoveToArea("ar6008") -> *crash* (SCS adds lizard men here too)
or
Play Black Pits 2 until the lizard man battle (3rd battle). The game crashes when you enter the battle or when you walk by the pit containing the upcoming lizard man challengers. Notably, the pit lizard men only make the game crash when they enter your field of vision.

If you have a Mac, I'd appreciate it if you reproduced the steps above. That might help determine if it's just my system causing the problem.
Post edited by Dee on

Comments